GAME #7, BALTIMORE ORIOLES AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, April 11, 2017, 02:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob from Mass

Even Vazquez wants to keep Swihart at AAA.

markj

Really. Vaz with a 4-for-4 night, a triple, a stolen base, and 3 RBI. Impressive.

markj

Enjoyable game. Not a single nit to pick with the Sox tonight. Well pitched, well played. Great, timely hitting. And a Big Thanks to the O's for all the gifts.

Rob from Mass

With only JBJ missing from the starters the team looked like what they should.Tough losing 3of 4 with a make shift bunch of subs but they came to play and fight tonight and looked
damn good .

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on April 11, 2017, 08:00:53 PM
Pom-Pom's done ok. Through 6 with no runs. He might be done. But I'd like to see him go a little deeper into the game.

Well he surprised me, that's for sure.  After the way he pooped out for us last summer I was expecting the worst.  He did a good job tonight and got into the seventh inning.  Normally that would be fine but with our bullpen it's a constant worry when our starters don't do deep into the game.  Still the bullpen did ok too.  Now can we win more than one in a row?  Tomorrow will tell but good to see the team start to hit this evening.  How about Vazquez?  Was that a flash in the pan or is he really learning to hit?

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on April 11, 2017, 09:27:41 PM
Enjoyable game. Not a single nit to pick with the Sox tonight. Well pitched, well played. Great, timely hitting. And a Big Thanks to the O's for all the gifts.

Can't complain at all about tonight unless we want to say it took a little long for us to explode, but my question is can we sustain this and be on our way?  But as you said markj, very little if anything to complain about.

ipot

Quote from: Rob from Mass on April 11, 2017, 09:17:07 PM
Even Vazquez wants to keep Swihart at AAA.

Ha!  Nice one.  :D   Indeed.  Great game by Vazquez.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

ipot

Sometimes you just need the other team to fumble a few balls to wake up your offense.  Hopefully, this was the light switch. 

Props to Pomeranz. 
Props to Vazquez. 

And props to Chili Davis who's making a name for himself turning weak hitting catchers into hitting machines  thumb_u
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bear

A pleasant surprise for sure.  Let's hope this turns things around in the health department.

Bill-806

Nice to score some runs, again !!! thumb_u

longgame

I was glad I was wrong when it looked like it was going to fall apart.  I don't get the thinking on bringing Pomeranz back out - is it a defeatist thing? (Ok, the game is close but I'm going to let you give up a hit first before I pull you?)  There's no upside at that point if your plan is to let him give up a hit basically.  I was very worried when Hembree came in and let the run in, but he settled down and the pen took care of business for a change.

The big thing was the offense finally lighting up.

I guess Vazquez isn't ceding the catcher's job to Leon.  Whatever those guys are doing, they ought to share it with Sandoval.

elktonnick

I must say this wasn't the Pomerantz that I saw last month in Ft Myers.  For one thing which I noticed he was pushing off stronger with his left leg.

So he was hitting 93 regularly in the first three innings. Pomerantz admitted that after his Ft Myers start that he hadn't be pushing off strongly with his left leg.  (I noticed that he had a slight limp when I saw him)  In the spring he wasn't hitting 90 with his fastball.

On the down side, he started to lose velocity on the fastball by the fifth inning.  Jim Palmer who was doing the Orioles broadcast commented on the drop in velocity.  He  questioned Pomerantz mechanics as the reason.  Quite frankly, I was surprised that he made it through the sixth.  But, he did with some outstanding offspeed pitches.

The other take away from last night's game besides Valsequez outstanding night at the plate, was that Sandoval finally lifted the ball for a sac fly with a man on third with less than two outs.

Let's face it, this rout had more to do with Orioles defensive incompetence so while I welcome the win  I still see areas of concern with Pomerantz, Sandoval and the bullpen.

markj

Quote from: elktonnick on April 12, 2017, 08:11:16 AM

Let's face it, this rout had more to do with Orioles defensive incompetence...

Was thinking the same thing. O's gave this one away. But at least the Sox took advantage. There have been times in the past where they would not have done so.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on April 12, 2017, 11:09:29 AM

Let's face it, this rout had more to do with Orioles defensive incompetence...

Was thinking the same thing. O's gave this one away. But at least the Sox took advantage. There have been times in the past where they would not have done so.

Fine and dandy guys.  We won and we took full advantages of what came our way.  We're all happy with that, but let's see if we can sustain something for a change...like winning tonight and tomorrow for instance.  That might tell us whether we have what it takes to get it together and make our presence known.   The jury is still out as far as many of us are concerned from what I've been reading.

longgame

I must say this wasn't the Pomerantz that I saw last month in Ft Myers.  For one thing which I noticed he was pushing off stronger with his left leg.

So he was hitting 93 regularly in the first three innings. Pomerantz admitted that after his Ft Myers start that he hadn't be pushing off strongly with his left leg.  (I noticed that he had a slight limp when I saw him)  In the spring he wasn't hitting 90 with his fastball.

On the down side, he started to lose velocity on the fastball by the fifth inning.  Jim Palmer who was doing the Orioles broadcast commented on the drop in velocity.  He  questioned Pomerantz mechanics as the reason.  Quite frankly, I was surprised that he made it through the sixth.  But, he did with some outstanding offspeed pitches.

The other take away from last night's game besides Valsequez outstanding night at the plate, was that Sandoval finally lifted the ball for a sac fly with a man on third with less than two outs.

Let's face it, this rout had more to do with Orioles defensive incompetence so while I welcome the win  I still see areas of concern with Pomerantz, Sandoval and the bullpen.

I get the O's broadcast too.   I like when Palmer is on. 

Pomeranz always seems to be good for about 5 at most.