GAME #5, RED SOX AT DETROIT TIGERS

Started by Bear, April 09, 2017, 05:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on April 09, 2017, 03:38:32 PM
Finally. Maybe Kimbrell needs to do more warmups so he's ready when he comes in.

How about a pitching coach who knows what he hell he's doing.  On MLB a few nights ago John Smoltz and Harold Reynolds even emphasized the fact that Kimbrel overthrows and pulls himself too far to the right after releasing the ball.  What the hell is our pitching coach doing to even earn his salary instead of drinking gatorade and scratching his ass in the dugout?

Correction just not to confuse anyone.  Kimbrel pulls too far to his left----it is the right if you are looking at him.  But no matter how you slice it this is a problem that needs correcting and who knows if he's doing even more out there to throw him off.

ipot

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on April 09, 2017, 06:49:07 PM
Quote from: markj on April 09, 2017, 03:38:32 PM
Finally. Maybe Kimbrell needs to do more warmups so he's ready when he comes in.

How about a pitching coach who knows what he hell he's doing.  On MLB a few nights ago John Smoltz and Harold Reynolds even emphasized the fact that Kimbrel overthrows and pulls himself too far to the right after releasing the ball.  What the hell is our pitching coach doing to even earn his salary instead of drinking gatorade and scratching his ass in the dugout?

This was so obvious on the first 2 batters.  And the ball kept sailing to the outside left of the plate.  It seems like a no-brainer to see for the pitching coach, right?  Good point.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

elktonnick

If you recall I've been saying that Kimbrel over rotates and overthrows for two years.  To be fair, I think that's what the Sox pitching coach (who doesn't impress me at all) said to Kimbrel when he came out.  I certainly agree that something has got to be done about getting him to focus when he comes into a game.  He throws 99 for Pete's sake.  He has got to quit trying to be too fine with his pitches and quit aiming when he throws.  I agree with Remy's observation that Kimbrel was aiming his pitches.

As irritating as Kimbrel is, Sandoval really ticked me off today.  Twice he came up with a runner on third with less than two outs and both times instead of trying to lift the ball, he swings early in the count and rolls a low pitch to the third baseman. The first time Moreland for some idiotic reason, decides to go on contact and is out by ten feet at home. Sandoval and Moreland need to be called out for stupid baseball.

SeaBeachFred

This is why I'm already climbing the walls around my house.  Here I can see what Kimbrel is doing incorrectly and I'm not alone because my pals Elk and IPOT see the same thing I'm seeing and I'll bet others can too.  Yet the problem persists.  As Elk said, the guy throws 99MPH so there is no reason to try and be fine and certainly no reason to aim your pitches as Remy observed.  I just wonder if fans of other teams see the things their teams are doing wrong or is this thing just novel with the Red Sox and their frustrated fans.  I have plans on going to the ALCS this fall and that only means that the Red Sox have got to be in it.  Right now, even though it is early, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if one of my friends on this board tells me to CHANGE MY PLANS.

longgame

I think through these first 5 games we've learned, or at least confirmed, what we know about this year's edition.

First of all, the bullpen sucks.  They are horrible and haven't been getting it done, period.  There is nobody in that group that I have any confidence in.  To top it off, if the closer is unreliable, it puts the rest of the pen in jeopardy.  I don't know what they saw in Kimbrel other than a hard fastball that he can't seem to control.  The guy is just not particularly good.

The lineup is okay, but we've been woefully undermanned between flu and bereavement.  Let's hope they have a full complement soon.  The need becomes obvious when you have Marco Hernandez (who gets credit for a great offensive start) as your backup SS.  I'd expect Pedey to be injured at some point (he always is) and Sandoval is likely to have a fat-related injury so that depth will be important.  I'd like to see the regular lineup and how it flows for a few games.  Of course Farrell is likely to start giving other guys the day off when the guys who have been out come back.

Starting pitching so far has been what we expected.  Porcello pitched fine yesterday.  11 hits and 3 R, but he also had 8 Ks and I think no walks, maybe one.  He kept them in the game and they took advantage of it.  Remy made the point over and over again yesterday.  A good pitcher keeps you in the game when he doesn't have his best stuff.  (Yes, we're talking to you David Price.)  I liked Sale's first outing and he gets a shot to do it again today.  The rest of the guys are the stiffs we expect them to be.  Price will the difference this year. 

Then there's Farrell.  He isn't going anywhere, so we'll have to win in spite of him once again.