GAME #123, NEW YORK YANKEES AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, August 20, 2017, 01:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

This was for me an impressive win.  The Sox didn't over power the Yankees but simply wore them out. 

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: markj on August 20, 2017, 04:23:30 PM
Who would have thought the one game we lose would be Sale's? So still 5 up. Good deal.

I was thinking the same thing!
Who would have thought that Porcello actually pitched
a better game.  ONLY allowed a solo shot by Gardner.

Sox are 19 games over .500 AND 5 games up on the Yankees.
Great to beat the Yankees in both series within the week!

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 20, 2017, 11:46:16 AM
One of the talking heads on mlb.com said on Thursday they thought the Sox had already salted away the AL East.  Sure hope Farrell hasn't done that kind of math.  The Yanks have the edge in pitching throughout the staff,  we need all the bats we can find to even up the odds.  Hot hitters getting a day off ain't gonna cut it.

For those talking heads on MLB the recourse should be OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!!!!!  I mean how ridiculous can they be?  It would be just like Farrell to believe that crap.  You said it yourself; the Yanks have the edge in pitching right now, excapt MAYBE we have finally passed them in the relief department 7th, 8th and 9th inning spots if Friday and today are of any indication ( I mean when we finally stopped the bleeding on Friday and from that point on).  We need to hit consistently the rest of the season and having gained a game on that team in this three game series can't hurt at all considering who we're pitching tomorrow.  But maybe----------

SeaBeachFred

Who would have thought the one game we lose would be Sale's? So still 5 up. Good deal.

Isn't baseball a wonderful game mark?  Isn't it a weird game mark?  Isn't it a frustrating and irritating game mark?  I mean you give me one game in this series that I figured we would win for a near certainty it would have been the one we lost, and the fear was the Yanks would reverse what we did to them last week on their field to do it to us on ours.  But, lo and behold, perhaps Porcello is on his way to have another strong final six weeks as he did in 2015 and 2016.  Remember, he has pitched very well against the Yankees in his starts against them later in the year and no one can complain about our pitching today.  In fact, maybe even the addled brain Farrell picked the right combos to put out there today.  And five up on the New Yorkers is a helluva better than three.  This game was worth two in the standing and the team came back again as they have a lot this month.  A very good day if you ask me.

Rob from Mass

E rod takes on the Tribe tomorrow we need him to start helping out.

Bill-806

As  DAD would say, "SON, that  J F  makes it look easy"  !!  Go SOX, on to FRANCONA country.... thumb_u rofl

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 20, 2017, 04:42:43 PM

Isn't baseball a wonderful game mark?  Isn't it a weird game mark?  Isn't it a frustrating and irritating game mark?  I mean you give me one game in this series that I figured we would win for a near certainty it would have been the one we lost, and the fear was the Yanks would reverse what we did to them last week on their field to do it to us on ours.  But, lo and behold, perhaps Porcello is on his way to have another strong final six weeks as he did in 2015 and 2016.  Remember, he has pitched very well against the Yankees in his starts against them later in the year and no one can complain about our pitching today.  In fact, maybe even the addled brain Farrell picked the right combos to put out there today.  And five up on the New Yorkers is a helluva better than three.  This game was worth two in the standing and the team came back again as they have a lot this month.  A very good day if you ask me.

And Porce with a 4.59 era holds 'em to a run on three hits.  Impressive considering the  bearing of this one game.  (At least the importance our fans put on this game.)

Bear

Fred, with the Red Sox, I live one game at a time.
I have yet to learn to relax until the season is over.
Our pitching is fair, offense, oh boy, I don't even want
to go there.
And Cleveland next week...not an easy team to beat. iono

longgame

Well two good wins and a terribly played loss.  Nice to see a well played game with enough scoring and excellent pitching.  Five game lead at this point is huge.  At this time of year I start looking at how many the Sox may reasonably win.  With 39 remaining and 71 wins, the Sox can go 22-17 and finish with 93 wins. They'd have to keep winning but it's not an unreasonable pace at all.  The Yankees would have to go 27-12, highly unlikely.  So we're in a highly likely range right now.  If we can expand that lead by the time we leave NY in two weeks we've got them.

ipot

Quote from: Bear on August 20, 2017, 05:38:13 PM
to go there.

That's 2 of us, bear.  I'm savoring this one, but tomorrow it's back to nail biting again.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: ipot on August 21, 2017, 01:06:11 AM
to go there.

That's 2 of us, bear.  I'm savoring this one, but tomorrow it's back to nail biting again.

Make that three of us and maybe more if others weigh in IPOT.  That is a good picture of the travails that always seem to engulf Red Sox fans.  We are always nervous.  I wonder if I had become a Sox fan before 2000 what I would be like today with another 20 or 30 years of suffering with each game.  Probably institutionalized or dead.

elktonnick

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 21, 2017, 02:51:03 PM
to go there.

Make that three of us and maybe more if others weigh in IPOT.  That is a good picture of the travails that always seem to engulf Red Sox fans.  We are always nervous.  I wonder if I had become a Sox fan before 2000 what I would be like today with another 20 or 30 years of suffering with each game.  Probably institutionalized or dead.

There is a well known expression among life long long suffering red Sox fans, Fred.  "First they killed my grandfather, then my father, and now they are coming for me."

Rob from Mass

Quote from: elktonnick on August 21, 2017, 05:13:06 PM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 21, 2017, 02:51:03 PM
to go there.

There is a well known expression among life long long suffering red Sox fans, Fred.  "First they killed my grandfather, then my father, and now they are coming for me."

Yeah, Fred and some younger fans have no idea whatsoever it was like being a suffering Sox fan from the 60s up to 2004.
With Yawkey and 25 players and 25 cabs.