GAME #122, NEW YORK YANKEES AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, August 19, 2017, 04:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

Whew, out of it. Glad Judge is slumping a bit.

markj

markj

markj

markj

Pathetic AB to end the game. Nice going, JBJ.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on August 19, 2017, 08:19:49 PM
Bogaerts continues to look bad at the plate.  I swear his mechanics are all screwed up. Devers on the other hand looks tremendous.

Elk---simply put, Bogaerts is a choker through and through.  I don't know what it will take to convince my friends on this board that this guy simply cannot come through when the chips are down.  I had no doubt whatsoever that when he came up with men on base in the eighth that we would fail and most likely strike out.  He is the worst clutch hitter I've seen since Raul Mondesi.  Sure, there were others who failed to hit when it counted tonight but most of the other players have proven that they can get a key hit with runners on base.  Bogaerts can't and except for a spell in 2015 he hasn't been the guy you want up there when the chips are down Elk.  In fact, he is the last guy I want up there.

Schloicka

Pretty bad when the only big threat the Sox really had was an inning in which the Sox had 4 outs (3 of which were strike outs) an intentional walk and a double. Sox were 1/7 with runners in scoring position. Hard to win that way.

ipot

The only big threat the Sox have is Devers right now.  The others are either pathetic (Ramirez, Bogaerts) or on/off (Beni, Betts, Bradley, Nunez). 

The NYY are making this a REAL race for the division because they can hit HRs.  And if Porcello starts tomorrow, the best seats in the house will be the bleachers and on top of the Green Monster (for NYY fans)
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

Quote from: ipot on August 19, 2017, 11:44:50 PM
The only big threat the Sox have is Devers right now.  The others are either pathetic (Ramirez, Bogaerts) or on/off (Beni, Betts, Bradley, Nunez). 

The NYY are making this a REAL race for the division because they can hit HRs.  And if Porcello starts tomorrow, the best seats in the house will be the bleachers and on top of the Green Monster (for NYY fans)
CONCUR, in the A L EAST, ya need more than 3 runs to win..... Stay with it boys, SUNDAY is a must !!!

elktonnick

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 19, 2017, 09:46:52 PM
Bogaerts continues to look bad at the plate.  I swear his mechanics are all screwed up. Devers on the other hand looks tremendous.

Elk---simply put, Bogaerts is a choker through and through.  I don't know what it will take to convince my friends on this board that this guy simply cannot come through when the chips are down.  I had no doubt whatsoever that when he came up with men on base in the eighth that we would fail and most likely strike out.  He is the worst clutch hitter I've seen since Raul Mondesi.  Sure, there were others who failed to hit when it counted tonight but most of the other players have proven that they can get a key hit with runners on base.  Bogaerts can't and except for a spell in 2015 he hasn't been the guy you want up there when the chips are down Elk.  In fact, he is the last guy I want up there.

Dismissing Bogaerts as a choker misses the more important point.  He looks terrible at the plate regardless of the situation.  He consistently fails to lay off a down and away breaking ball.  Even if hits hits one he usually rolls it over for an easy ground out.

Both his approach at the plate and his hitting mechanics are all screwed up (sorry for repeating myself here)  He is lunging at the ball with his choppy swing (even Chili Davis commented on his chopping at the ball.)  He never should have been played after his wrist injury.  That injury just resulted in further deterioration of his swing.

I'd sit him down for a couple of days.  It is clear that his hitting woes seems to cause him to lose focus in the field IMHO

Bill-806

Quote from: elktonnick on August 20, 2017, 07:17:33 AM

Dismissing Bogaerts as a choker misses the more important point.  He looks terrible at the plate regardless of the situation.  He consistently fails to lay off a down and away breaking ball.  Even if hits hits one he usually rolls it over for an easy ground out.

Both his approach at the plate and his hitting mechanics are all screwed up (sorry for repeating myself here)  He is lunging at the ball with his choppy swing (even Chili Davis commented on his chopping at the ball.)  He never should have been played after his wrist injury.  That injury just resulted in further deterioration of his swing.

I'd sit him down for a couple of days.  It is clear that his hitting woes seems to cause him to lose focus in the field IMHO
  He IS NOT a CHOKER, It is all in the WRIST and if the wrist is hurt, ya can't swing a bat.....  In July and early August the team was playing so/so and he never got a chance to heal....Should have been  D L'd ....& I will stand by that !!! slap rofl

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Bill-806 on August 20, 2017, 06:27:05 AM
Quote from: ipot on August 19, 2017, 11:44:50 PM

CONCUR, in the A L EAST, ya need more than 3 runs to win..... Stay with it boys, SUNDAY is a must !!!

And please my friend don't allow yourself to get carried away with over the top optimism as you showed yesterday when you dissed Sabathia as an injured has-been.  These are the Yankees and they want that division title, and our front office and stupid manager still will not acknowledge that they needs to fine tune this team and get one guy out of the lineup before he sets a new record for leaving runners on base.  Today is no bed of roses either and we have a guy on the mound who still cannot get his ball to sink consistently.  That could lead to a couple of moon shots and we have to hit a few of our own and put enough tallies on the board to win this rubber game.  It is going to be a challenge, but with designated loser Fister ready to get reamed on Monday a win this afternoon is almost a mandatory operation.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Bill-806 on August 20, 2017, 08:12:20 AM
Quote from: elktonnick on August 20, 2017, 07:17:33 AM

He IS NOT a CHOKER, It is all in the WRIST and if the wrist is hurt, ya can't swing a bat.....  In July and early August the team was playing so/so and he never got a chance to heal....Should have been  D L'd ....& I will stand by that !!! slap rofl

Sure, his wrist has been  a big problem for him and he should have been put on the DL, but his inability to hit with men on base has been a recurring problem since he came up.  He didn't have a bad wrist in 2014 and hit 133 with runners in scoring position.  As Elk said, though, he needs to be sat down for a few games to get his head cleared and to have that wrist checked.  My fear is that a close game today might see him come up as he did last night in a do or die situation and we die.

ojdidit

If Pedroia was available I suspect XB would have a few days off.