GAME #121, NEW YORK YANKEES AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, August 17, 2017, 05:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob from Mass

So much for that 3 game lead.A lot of clutch hits tonight and we saw the real Reed tonight.5 games up.

markj

Kimbrel was stellar. K'd the side. Impressive comeback win after blowing the lead.

Schloicka

They got Reed to build a bridge to Kimbrel. There was a huge accident just before the bridge but they got it cleared up just in time. Reed pitched 1.2 innings and got 2 big out's to stop the bleeding in the 7th and pitched a good 8th. He gets the win. Kimbrel the save. On to Saturday.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on August 18, 2017, 10:32:32 PM
They got Reed to build a bridge to Kimbrel. There was a huge accident just before the bridge but they got it cleared up just in time. Reed pitched 1.2 innings and got 2 big out's to stop the bleeding in the 7th and pitched a good 8th. He gets the win. Kimbrel the save. On to Saturday.

Well Schloik, fpr my money Addison Reed made amends for last Friday night's meltdown that cost us a game.  Tonight he saved our hides and the guys hit in the clutch when it counted in the seventh and eighth inning----Betts, Benintendi, Moreland...........Bogaerts?  NO WAY!!!!!  Not a surprise; he is as bad a hitter in the clutch as there is.  A choker all the way.  But we won and we all feel good tonight.  I hope Drew isn't badly hurt because we need him and I have little confidence in Fister.  To me that means we need to win tomorrow to take the series and be at least six up on the Yanks when the series is over, though a sweep would be even better.  Still, let's concentrate on one game at a time.

Schloicka

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 18, 2017, 10:39:07 PM

Well Schloik, fpr my money Addison Reed made amends for last Friday night's meltdown that cost us a game.  Tonight he saved our hides and the guys hit in the clutch when it counted in the seventh and eighth inning----Betts, Benintendi, Moreland...........Bogaerts?  NO WAY!!!!!  Not a surprise; he is as bad a hitter in the clutch as there is.  A choker all the way.  But we won and we all feel good tonight.  I hope Drew isn't badly hurt because we need him and I have little confidence in Fister.  To me that means we need to win tomorrow to take the series and be at least six up on the Yanks when the series is over, though a sweep would be even better.  Still, let's concentrate on one game at a time.

He looked pretty good the other day hitting that hr in the 9th in our comeback win against the Cards. He made an out in the inning tonight. So did 2 other people.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on August 18, 2017, 10:45:06 PM

He looked pretty good the other day hitting that hr in the 9th in our comeback win against the Cards. He made an out in the inning tonight. So did 2 other people.

Well you have a point there George.  I just wish he would start to show he can hit with men on base.  He has been very deficient in that area for most of his time in Boston.  But I must stop complaining........WE WON tonight and that to me is all that counts.  With you too, I would guess.

Schloicka

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 18, 2017, 10:48:36 PM
Quote from: Schloicka on August 18, 2017, 10:45:06 PM

Well you have a point there George.  I just wish he would start to show he can hit with men on base.  He has been very deficient in that area for most of his time in Boston.  But I must stop complaining........WE WON tonight and that to me is all that counts.  With you too, I would guess.

Winning is the important thing. It was a rocky game but they pulled it out and that's all you can ask. Not all wins are pretty. Some are damn ugly. Was a big win since if all else fails the Yanks can only pick up 1 game on the Sox this series. Puts the Yanks in a tough spot.

markj

The fact that the Sox seem to be able to get to Chapman is a big plus in my eyes. He's hardly lights out against the Sox.

Schloicka

Quote from: markj on August 18, 2017, 10:58:22 PM
The fact that the Sox seem to be able to get to Chapman is a big plus in my eyes. He's hardly lights out against the Sox.

I think the way he was used last year in the playoffs may have had a negative effect on him. I know he wasn't happy about it.

ipot

The antidote to Barnes/Kelly/Hembree is Green/Kahnle/Chapman.  Worked out OK.  thumb_u 

I had to watch the comeback through a window of a restaurant on the Santa Monica Pier; i sent my guests to the amusements.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Rob from Mass

Early word out is Pomeranz feeling better after the game .
Seems like Farrell knew what he was getting with Vazquez as he looks better each game with the bat .With Leon as back up the C posisition looks set for a while.If and when the off injured Swihart ever gets healthy I see him as trade bait.

Bill-806

As DAD would say,  "SON, all's well that ends well" !!!  What a game, that DEVERS is something !!  We tried to give it away/back but the boys came through .....  Chris Sale tonight, "coming to carry us home" !! thumb_u rofl

ojdidit

Our bullpen sucked, but theirs sucked more.  Giaridi continues to get hammered on posting boards for his continued use of Chapman in key situations.

elktonnick

I wonder what Giardi said to Chapman when he came to the mound with the interpreter. It is clear that the Red Sox in general and Devers in particular are living in his head. 

Bear

Happy we won Friday night; hoping for another "W" on Saturday.
Sunday, goodness we have not decided who is going to pitch; between
Porcello/Fister.
I wonder how Johnson is doing in the minors.... iono