GAME #121, NEW YORK YANKEES AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, August 17, 2017, 05:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

YANKEES V RED SOX

FRIDAY, AUGUST 27, 2017, 7 PM, FENWAY PARK

TV:  NESN, YES, MLBN, (OUT-OF-MARKET ONLY)

NEW YORK, (64-55).........................................................................................BOSTON, (69-51)

NEW YORK:

JORDAN MONTGOMERY, LHP, 7-5, 3.94 ERA, 115K

Montgomery will make his second straight start against the Red Sox after
holding them to a run on two hits in 5 1/2 innings on Wednesday.  Montgomery
walked three and struck out four in an 84-pitch effort.

BOSTON:

DREW POMERANZ, LHP, 12-4, 3.39 ERA, 132K

The left-hander was effective while beating the Yankees on August 12,
giving up seven hits and three runs over 6 2/3 innings.  Pomeranz has given
up three runs or fewer in 10 of his last 11 starts.

Yanks-Sox rivalry, battle for 1st shift to Fenway

Ian Browne

For the second consecutive weekend, baseball's most storied rivalry will be on display. This time, the venue is Fenway Park, where the second-place Yankees will try to chip into the Red Sox's lead in the American League East.

Boston took back sole possession of first from New York on Aug. 1, and will try to stave off its rivals for the rest of the stretch run.

"Let's win," said Red Sox infielder Eduardo Nunez. "They have a really good team and they have good hitting and good pitching, but we do, too. We'll see how it goes."

Fenway fans will be in for a treat if this weekend's series matches the excitement level of the showdown in the Bronx last weekend.

The Yankees rallied back from a 3-0 deficit in the eighth inning to win the Friday night opener. The Red Sox were down against Aroldis Chapman in the ninth inning of the Sunday finale when Rafael Devers stunned everyone by belting a 102.8-mph heater over the wall in left-center to tie the game. Boston won the game in 10 innings, and took two out of three in the series.

Nunez, who started his career with the Yankees and is now sparking the Red Sox, is happy to be back in the rivalry.
"That was fun last weekend," said Nunez. "It's great baseball. I was in San Francisco on the other side of the country earlier this year, and now I'm here and just trying to enjoy this."

Drew Pomeranz, one of the most underrated players on this year's Red Sox squad, gets the ball for Friday night's opener.
"It's always a huge rivalry," said Pomeranz. "It gives you a little more adrenaline. I think I was throwing a little harder last [Saturday]. Just pure adrenaline that first inning. It's fun for us. The crowds come out for the games and they're wild and we want to beat those guys, especially being in a tight race."

The Yankees counter with lefty Jordan Montgomery, who held his own in the matchup with Red Sox ace Chris Sale in last weekend's series finale, giving up one run in 5 1/3 innings.

"I felt good," said Montgomery. "My fastball command has been getting better and better. My curveball was a little iffy at times, but I threw it well enough to keep them off balance. Slider back door was good. I'm still trying to find my changeup, but it will be there eventually."

The Yankees are 7-5 against the Red Sox this season. After this weekend's three-game series, the clubs have one more series this season, a four-game set at Yankee Stadium from Aug. 31-Sept. 3.

THREE THINGS TO WATCH IN THIS GAME

• When batters have put Pomeranz's curveball in play this season, they have put it on the ground 63.8 percent of the time. That's the fourth-highest rate out of more than 40 pitchers who have generated at least 50 batted balls on curves in 2017.

• While Chapman has struggled against Boston this season (two blown saves, 8.44 ERA), Red Sox closer Craig Kimbrel has a 1.80 ERA and a .105 opponents' batting average in four appearances against New York.

• By and large, the Red Sox have done a nice job against Aaron Judge this season, holding him to a .174 average and one home run in 12 games. However, Gary Sanchez has four homers and a 1.007 OPS in his 43 plate appearances against Boston.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170816248914838/yanks-sox-rivalry-battle-for-1st-shift-to-fenway/?game_pk=491921

Bear

Red Sox vs. NYY:

Núñez 2B,
Betts RF,
Benintendi LF,
Ramirez 1B,
Young DH,
Bogaerts SS,
Devers 3B,
Vázquez C,
Bradley Jr. CF,

Pomeranz LHP.

Bill-806

ipot

Hoping Montgomery doesn't hypnotize the bats like last time....
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Rob from Mass

Weather could be iffy tonight .Breezy  T storms ......
Saturday DH .......

markj

Ok start for Pomeranz aside from the nearly 20 pitches. It'll be another 5+ inning start for him if he keeps that up.

markj

ipot

Pom Pom gets out of another one.  Phew.  Doing his best Dice-K impersonation tonight....
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Schloicka

Pomerantz out hurt. Looks like a back problem. On to the pen we go.

ipot

--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

ipot

We're gonna need more runs. Workman, Reed, Kelly worry me...
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

ipot

--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

ipot

--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

ipot

--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

markj

Seems it's always one or two players carrying the offensive load.