GAME #118, CLEVELAND INDIANS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, August 14, 2017, 08:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: markj on August 14, 2017, 05:32:21 PM
Ugh. Silliness already. Mookie K's on a pitch in the next zip code and Nunez gets tossed out by a mile trying to steal.
I was not watching yet, but sounds like a blown hit and run.

markj

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on August 15, 2017, 07:13:22 AM
Quote from: markj on August 14, 2017, 05:32:21 PM
Ugh. Silliness already. Mookie K's on a pitch in the next zip code and Nunez gets tossed out by a mile trying to steal.
I was not watching yet, but sounds like a blown hit and run.

That could be.

MongoLikeSox

Silver lining time.

I don't know if they talked about Devers' error on TV or not as I was watching from from my noisey kitchen. There was something impressive about his recovery. He reached down for the ball after getting to it and did zero pumping or anything of that nature. About the only thing he did was a somewhat controlled strong armed throw. No additional wasted time. It was closer than it should have been.

How many times have we seen players compound the error by doing some extra footwork, wind-up, pumping up motion, ball in glove tap. Not even some wild pick up and throw combination.

A somewhat delayed silver lining for Brock Holt. I ran on and on last year about how I thought the concussions / head injury thing was affecting him and his vision. Difficulties with pop-ups, fly-balls, excessive eye focusing and things like that. He looks much more under control than he did when he came back from it last season. I'm very happy for him. I hope it continues.

longgame

After an exciting win, a bad loss.  Two things stick out to me -  can only guys 23 and younger hit, and the offense has gone to sleep again.  As for the young guys, maybe the older guys can learn something from them?  Hanley is just up there hacking regularly.  I think he needs glasses or something.  JBJ will never be a good hitter.  Bogey can hit but for some reason won't this year.  Mookie thinks he needs to drive in 3 runs everytime he's at the plate except when he has the actual opportunity to drive in 3 runs.  The offense is now in hit or miss mode.  If they score a ton they can win, but in the past week they scored 8 and 10 runs, but the rest of them time it was less than 4. 

Rob from Mass

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on August 15, 2017, 07:26:35 AM
Silver lining time.

I don't know if they talked about Devers' error on TV or not as I was watching from from my noisey kitchen. There was something impressive about his recovery. He reached down for the ball after getting to it and did zero pumping or anything of that nature. About the only thing he did was a somewhat controlled strong armed throw. No additional wasted time. It was closer than it should have been.

How many times have we seen players compound the error by doing some extra footwork, wind-up, pumping up motion, ball in glove tap. Not even some wild pick up and throw combination.

A somewhat delayed silver lining for Brock Holt. I ran on and on last year about how I thought the concussions / head injury thing was affecting him and his vision. Difficulties with pop-ups, fly-balls, excessive eye focusing and things like that. He looks much more under control than he did when he came back from it last season. I'm very happy for him. I hope it continues.

Since his return in 23 games, he has been a complete struggle at the plate.Needs to do better than his .213 BA and 1 rbi since being brought up.

ipot

Quote from: Bill-806 on August 15, 2017, 06:19:56 AM
Quote from: Rob from Mass on August 14, 2017, 03:05:09 PM
Quote from: Bear on August 14, 2017, 02:22:24 PM
I try not looking back but rather ahead. ;D

Exactly !!! Whats done is done and for the most part, it has been pretty good. JF imo has been a bit better than in 2016 but still, makes some very strange decisions. I guess strange decisions are in his DNA  and it's hard to change.
PLEASE SPARE ME ........ Squandering those games in April, May & June with the idea that there was/is still plenty of games ahead is fools gold !!! Now, we find the stretch run will require HELP from a lot of teams & the moon , stars will need to align !!!  thumb_u iono rofl

Just chiming in here.  After JF licked that horrible disease, he mentioned in the offseason that one life lesson/coaching lesson he learned was to not be afraid to take risks on decisions.  Be more impulsive.  He insinuated he wanted to be more like Maddon.  Sometimes this stuff works, sometimes it doesn't.  But a huge factor in this is the roster you have.  And a manager has to know if his players can answer that kind of bell.  Madden has good intuition when coaching like that...hence, getting a lot out of his teams.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Rob from Mass

Pete Abraham‏Verified account @PeteAbe  4m4 minutes ago

Farrell said Pedroia is improving. But clear this DL stint will be more than 10 days.

Thankfully his contract is team friendly. Sadly we will continue to see this from the guy that gives 110 % while on the field.

Rob from Mass

Jason Mastrodonato‏Verified account @JMastrodonato  2m2 minutes ago

Since July 4, Red Sox have four guys in the bottom 20 of BA:

136: Betts, .222
144: JBJ, .214
154: Moreland, .185
155: Bogaerts, .175

/156

Schloicka

Quote from: Rob from Mass on August 15, 2017, 04:12:49 PM
Jason Mastrodonato‏Verified account @JMastrodonato  2m2 minutes ago

Since July 4, Red Sox have four guys in the bottom 20 of BA:

136: Betts, .222
144: JBJ, .214
154: Moreland, .185
155: Bogaerts, .175

/156

Hanley had a good July but is stinking up August so far hitting .214 with virtually no power. Hard to win when you got so many guys not hitting.