GAME #118, CLEVELAND INDIANS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, August 14, 2017, 08:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

INDIANS V RED SOX

MONDAY, AUGUST 14, 2017, 6 PM AT FENWAY PARK

TV:  NESN, SPORTS TIME OHIO

CLEVELAND, (63-52)...............................................................................BOSTON, (67-50)

CLEVELAND:

TREVOR BAUER, RHP, 10-8, 4.79 ERA, 133K

Bauer has been excellent in his last three starts, with three straight outings
of seven-plus innings with only one run in each.  That equals his career-best
streak of such performances.

BOSTON:

DOUG FISTER, LHP, 2-5, 5.03 ERA, 33K

The sinkerballer hopes to replicate the success he had two weeks ago
against the Indians when he held them to five hits and two runs over 7 2/3
innings.  Lifetime against the Tribe, Fister is 6-4 with a 3.07 ERA in 17
starts.

Division leaders Tribe, Red Sox set for makeup

Connor Mount

Rained out of their series finale with the Red Sox on Aug. 2, the Indians add Boston to what had already been a 10-game road trip. The two teams, who as of now would be American League Division Series competitors, are set for a makeup game on Monday at Fenway Park.

It will be the first meeting between the teams since they staged perhaps the Game of the Year to date in MLB on Aug. 1, an epic 12-10 win by the Red Sox that was completed with a three-run, walk-off homer by Christian Vazquez and included an amazing catch over the bullpen wall by Indians center fielder Austin Jackson

Instead of an off-day in Minneapolis, the Indians will be back in Boston for a brief engagement. The Red Sox lose what would have been a day off at home after a three-game series at Yankee Stadium. It is the start of a six-game homestand for Boston, which includes two games against the Cardinals and a three-game series against Yankees.

"I'd rather have the day off in Minnesota, just because Boston's got a really good team and they're playing well," said Indians manager Terry Francona. "It's OK. In the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal."

Plus, former Red Sox skipper Francona has a special perk waiting for him when he visits Boston.

"I get to see the grandkids, so I'm happy," he said.

The Indians come to Boston leading the AL Central by 4 1/2 games. The Red Sox entered Sunday night's game against the Yankees with that same lead in the AL East.

The Red Sox recently notched an eight-game winning streak, which began with two wins over the Indians. They averaged 6.25 runs per game over the stretch. Doug Fister (2-5, 5.03 ERA) will look for a similar outcome to the win he earned over Cleveland on July 31, his first victory of the season. He pitched a season-high 7 2/3 innings while holding the Indians to two runs on five hits.

Fister has done a nice job filling in for David Price, who is back on the disabled list with a left elbow injury.

"Yeah, I mean that's been extremely helpful and certainly we've missed David Price in the rotation, that goes without saying," said Red Sox manager John Farrell. "But to have Doug to step in with the veteran presence he has, to his credit, some of the minor adjustments that he's made to solidify his pitch execution, that's been the case the last four appearances for him. He's been a huge plus to have that kind of veteran guy to plug in when needed."

Trevor Bauer (10-8, 4.79 ERA) will take the mound opposite Fister, working on a streak of three straight games of seven or more innings with one run allowed in each. He's struck out 22 batters over 22 innings in those starts.

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• Bauer is striking out a career-high 9.95 batters per nine innings, 14th best in the Majors (and a sliver ahead of teammate Carlos Carrasco, at 9.87).

• Fister has fared well against the Indians in his career, with a 3.07 ERA over 17 starts. His 1.03 WHIP against the Tribe is his lowest vs. any AL opponent.

• The Indians and Red Sox entered Sunday leading the AL in team ERA. The Red Sox have not led their league in ERA since 2007.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170813245759416/division-leaders-tribe-red-sox-set-for-makeup/?game_pk=491698

Bear

Here is the complete Red Sox lineup.

Eduardo Nunez, DH

Andrew Benintendi, LF

Mookie Betts, RF

Mitch Moreland, 1B

Rafael Devers, 3B

Xander Bogaerts, SS

Brock Holt, 2B

Christian Vazquez, C

Jackie Bradley Jr., CF

Doug Fister, RHP

Bill-806

Baseball at its best ..... Nothing will be easy from here on out !!!   OH, this is where April, May, & June comes back to haunt us !!!!  There was/is at least 15 DEFEATS that should of /could of/would of been W's instead of L's  !!! thumb_d rofl

Bear

markj

Quote from: Bear on August 14, 2017, 02:22:24 PM
I try not looking back but rather ahead. ;D

Much safer driving that way.  ;) thumb_u

Bill-806

We should not be afraid of the past, that is the only way we can handle the future !!!!  Put another way,  Can't determine where we are going if we continued with the same direction !!! rofl

Rob from Mass

Exactly !!! Whats done is done and for the most part, it has been pretty good. JF imo has been a bit better than in 2016 but still, makes some very strange decisions. I guess strange decisions are in his DNA  and it's hard to change.

Rob from Mass

Christopher Smith‏Verified account @SmittyOnMLB 

The Red Sox have gone back and looked at "quite a bit of video" from Reed's time with the Mets and White Sox.

markj

First pitch goes right to the OF for a base hit. I like it. Now let's see if they can capitalize.

markj

Ugh. Silliness already. Mookie K's on a pitch in the next zip code and Nunez gets tossed out by a mile trying to steal.

markj

Fister in a bases-loaded, 1-out jam already.

markj

Fister is back to his losing ways. Already down 3 runs and the inning isn't nearly over.

Bear

Ah, so, is JF getting any reliever ready? sigh

markj

JF has Hembree up already. Not a good sign. I think Fister's days may be numbered.

Bear

Out of the inning...I suppose he's going back in?