GAME #117, BOSTON RED SOX AT NEW YORK YANKEES

Started by Bear, August 12, 2017, 10:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoSoxFanNY

PHEW!!!!!!

Okay - that game made up for Friday night's loss.

Sale, Benintendi, Devers and Kimbrel!

GREAT win!

(And I am still shaking.)

MongoLikeSox

Dang fine!!!

Just wait until Devers catches up with the game. He hit a 102.6MPH, I heard. Opposite field, too. Gotta like it.

ipot

Quote from: Schloicka on August 13, 2017, 09:51:13 PM
Quote from: ipot on August 13, 2017, 09:43:02 PM
Farrell is an idiot for IBBing Judge and PH-ing Devers.  He gets 50 percent of the loss.

When did they walk Judge intentionally? Let's not forget Betts gave them a run with his misplay. Guess it was foolish to pinch hit Devers.

I missed the Judge single.  It was so fast that I thought Farrell IBBed him.  As for Devers, the 1st AB didn't work out.  I'm not a fan of PH-ing guys earlier in a game.  Pinch hitters hit about .210-220 in the aggregate (no matter how good they are as regular hitters).  I don't think Farrell said "I'll put Raffy out there because he'll hit a HR at the top of the 9th in his 2nd PA." 

We squeezed out a W, making good on Sale's amazing effort. That's the happy here.  5.5 up is big as we face them next week.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Schloicka

Quote from: elktonnick on August 13, 2017, 10:53:58 PM
Be still my heart!!! Great win!!!  Kimbrel, Beni and Devers were outstanding.  Boy was I wrong when I said that Devers should have stayed longer in Pawtucket.

I know it's early in Devers career but when I watch him at the plate he seems to have an excellent idea of what he wants to do. It's hard to beat him on the same pitch in an at bat. He looks like he'a always adjusting to the pitcher. The pitcher might get him to swing at something early in the count but his mind seems to be working on it and if you throw it again there is a good chance he'll hit it somewhere. Now if we could get Hanley to do that he might not look so bad at the plate.

Schloicka

Quote from: ipot on August 13, 2017, 10:57:08 PM
Quote from: Schloicka on August 13, 2017, 09:51:13 PM
Quote from: ipot on August 13, 2017, 09:43:02 PM
Farrell is an idiot for IBBing Judge and PH-ing Devers.  He gets 50 percent of the loss.

When did they walk Judge intentionally? Let's not forget Betts gave them a run with his misplay. Guess it was foolish to pinch hit Devers.

I missed the Judge single.  It was so fast that I thought Farrell IBBed him.  As for Devers, the 1st AB didn't work out.  I'm not a fan of PH-ing guys earlier in a game.  Pinch hitters hit about .210-220 in the aggregate (no matter how good they are as regular hitters).  I don't think Farrell said "I'll put Raffy out there because he'll hit a HR at the top of the 9th in his 2nd PA." 

We squeezed out a W, making good on Sale's amazing effort. That's the happy here.  5.5 up is big as we face them next week.

Pinch hitting Devers I think was a good move simply because it got Young out of the game who was doing nothing. I thought letting him ph in the 6th inning was fine. You had 2 on and 1 out and if anything Devers has speed to hopefully stay out of a dp if he hits a ground ball.

Rob from Mass

Schloicka

Quote from: Rob from Mass on August 13, 2017, 11:15:54 PM
GOTTA LOVE THE BIG 5 GAME LEAD.

Would of been 7.5 without the Friday night melt down but as they say crap happens. Just need to try to gain a game or 2 this coming week before playing the Yanks again.

ipot

Quote from: Schloicka on August 13, 2017, 11:22:44 PM

Would of been 7.5 without the Friday night melt down but as they say crap happens. Just need to try to gain a game or 2 this coming week before playing the Yanks again.

Yeah, so close to taking all 3.  Just happy we won the series.  Yanks have it easy with the usually undependable Mets, who go "poof" every time they play their crosstown rival.  Sox have CLE and the surging Cards to deal with...
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bear

There was one other vital contribution: Bradley kicks in Holt.
Sale strikes outs 12 for another great game.
Devers has a lot of strength for his age.
Gotta admit I must have turned gray when Reed entered.
All went well for this game.
And as for Judge, he struck out three times, that helped.
All was not lost for Judge, he went home to the trophy
he took home from the ASG.  He hasn't been quite the same since. :P

MongoLikeSox

I've rambled on about the PH thing many times. I am not a fan, generally speaking. Last night I was thinking to myself that JFF was going to regret not having Young available for Chapman in the 9th. doh! Happy I was wrong.  ;D 

I remember thinking about how over matched Devers looked on that 1st at bat. Well, the last pitch anyhow. Then I saw the Yankees boppers look much more overmatched and felt a lot better.

Rob from Mass

Quote from: Schloicka on August 13, 2017, 11:22:44 PM

I really hope we do know and understand gaining ground each week will not happen.It soun d's simple but it's not.

Bill-806

Nice to get out of town with two wins.....Yes, could have got ugly and like Friday gone the wrong way.....  Can you imagine Devers, left hander facing a left hander and takes a  103 fastball deep ?? That was some hitting..... That kid is a ball player !! thumb_u rofl