GAME #114, BOSTON RED SOX AT TAMPA BAY RAYS

Started by Bear, August 09, 2017, 01:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

These are the running Red Sox.  In the sixty plus years I've been following Red Sox baseball, I don't remember a Red Sox team that runs as much or as aggressively as does this team.  When they can be fun to watch.  BTW forced to watch game on ESPN.  Once again ESPN is the horrors.  These guys miss plays and talk about more crap.  They spend more time talking and showing stuff that has nothing to do with the game.

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on August 09, 2017, 08:09:17 PM
These are the running Red Sox.  In the sixty plus years I've been following Red Sox baseball, I don't remember a Red Sox team that runs as much or as aggressively as does this team.  When they can be fun to watch.  BTW forced to watch game on ESPN.  Once again ESPN is the horrors.  These guys miss plays and talk about more crap.  They spend more time talking and showing stuff that has nothing to do with the game.

That ESPN team is horrible.  One of them has just a terrible voice too.  You're not missing anything with Wade Boggs doing color though.

Rob from Mass

Porcello gives up 2 bombs in the 5th.
OK Farrell get the hook ready.

elktonnick

These jack asses on ESPN missed and still haven't said anything that Porcello threw an immaculate inning in the fifth.

Rob from Mass

Nice job by Barnes. 2 on 0 outs gets out of it.

markj

Quote from: Schloicka on August 09, 2017, 08:00:26 PM
Quote from: markj on August 09, 2017, 07:49:20 PM
HR gets nailed trying to get home, but the runners all advance. Still sort of sad that these are gift runs. It'd be nice if the Sox would earn a few.

Whether they are gifts or not the Sox still needed to get on base to get those gifts. If you can put pressure on the other team usually good things will happen.

True, but there were 2 IBB's that inning.

Rob from Mass

Workman has been a pkeasant surprise in the pen .ERA  1.77

Schloicka

Quote from: markj on August 09, 2017, 08:49:22 PM
Quote from: Schloicka on August 09, 2017, 08:00:26 PM
Quote from: markj on August 09, 2017, 07:49:20 PM
HR gets nailed trying to get home, but the runners all advance. Still sort of sad that these are gift runs. It'd be nice if the Sox would earn a few.

Whether they are gifts or not the Sox still needed to get on base to get those gifts. If you can put pressure on the other team usually good things will happen.

True, but there were 2 IBB's that inning.

IBB are part of a strategy. They don't want the guy at the plate to hurt them so they walk them. HR was walked on a 3-0 count i think. Not sure about the other. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If a guy scores on a wild pitch or passed ball you can't really complain because you can't drive in someone who already scored. They got 2 runs that inning for free and 2 runs that inning by Leons hit. And scored 2 more free runs later. It is what it is.

markj

8 in a row. Very nice. Bring on the Yankees.

MongoLikeSox

Getting Workman in this form is an absolute gift. As big a gift as Fister's hopefully not short turn around.

Anyone remember AB going that far to wards the line this many times in a game? I swear it was as if Boggs himself had a nice stutter - I mean cha with him before the game. )

Am thrilled with HR and Betts staying on and hitting pitches where they give them instead of hook pulling everything.

Longer over-due win for Porcello.

Devers got to sit and watch a game, which means more than a simple day off to a kid. A little perspective change after being dead-center of it all for almost 2 weeks. He's probably going to be dead center again this weekend.

BoSoxFanNY

WOW!
8 wins in a row!
16 games over .500.
Porcello win.
Run support.
Bullpen doing it's job.

GREAT combination for success.

Bill-806

Well Boys & Girls, it's on to  N Y  to face the EVIL EMPIRE !!!  keep it going !! thumb_u

Bill-806

Quote from: Rob from Mass on August 09, 2017, 06:19:31 PM
The Bigger question for Pedey is the next 4 years of nagging and new injuries as he tries to play to age 37.
  VERY TRUE,  "like sand thru the hourglass ,  so are  Pedey's days" .... The miles on those knees extends to out of this world.  They are close to the vest on his ability to get back on the field as the Pedy that we know !!  iono iono

Bill-806

Quote from: elktonnick on August 09, 2017, 08:09:17 PM
As DAD would say,  "SON, in BASEBALL, if you keep the pressure on the Pitchers & defense with aggressive running you will make great teams look beatable" !!! thumb_u rofl

longgame

Pretty solid win.  Porcello would have stayed out had it been last year, but there's no way you can take a chance with that guy.  Smart to get him out and ensure he gets a win.  The bullpen is particularly good right now and having both Workman and Reed helps limit the load on the other guys too. 

Day off and then time to really take it to the Yankees.  They could put them in a world of hurt with a sweep but I'll take 2 out of 3.