GAME #108, CLEVELAND INDIANS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, August 01, 2017, 01:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schloicka

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 01, 2017, 10:27:03 PM
Quote from: Schloicka on August 01, 2017, 08:48:00 PM
Should be Reed then Kimbrel coming up. Nice job Barnes.

Now please Schloik, use your influence to tell Farrell NOT to use Barnes two days in a row.  He doesn't have to now with a deeper bullpen.  As I said earlier I only saw one at-bat tonight but it was a doozy, but what your take on Addison Reed?  I saw him with the Mets on TV a few times and he looked like had a lot of moxie out there on the mound.  Possible he could be an alternate closer for Kimbrel when one is needed and Craig has worked two games in a row?

I think Reed will be fine. He gave up the HR but that happens. (See Kimbrel) He can give Kimbrel a day off if it's a save situation but you have a 2-3 run lead. Kimbrel lately has been throwing to many pitches to get through innings. Might just need to scale back on him a little. When Kelly gets back you can have a pretty good end of game set up with Kelly, Reed & Kimbrel going in the 7th, 8th & 9th. (You can mix it up a little depending on the score.) I think the other night Barnes got down because Xman committed the error to start the inning and Barnes didn't recover. Workman has been decent and Boyer for the most part has done well. Even Abad has been ok. If the relievers can continue to do their jobs the Sox should be ok.

Rob from Mass

I look at the HR the same as if he Kd the side on 10 pitches .I t was 1 outing and doesn't mean much.
There is a WILD CARD in the pen group and it`s Carson Smith.   Smith is on track to face hitters on Thursday.  if all goes well he could begin a minor-league rehab assignment this weekend. He would slot into the 7th inning and all of sudden the BP looks very very good. Kimbrel then could be given a well needed day off with capable arms to help out.

Rob from Mass

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 01, 2017, 10:30:29 PM
Quote from: markj on August 01, 2017, 09:48:54 PM
Happy Anniversary, Fred. This game's for you.

Thanks Mark, it was a helluva anniversary present, but this win was for all of us because we're all in this together.  I will remember this for the rest of my days, though.  Of course, it can never be No. 1.  That came on my 64th Birthday on October 27, 2004 and I know you and the rest of my friends he remember what happened that night.

I did know that .Putting to rest  “Curse of the Bambino” on your birthday what a helluva present.

Sea Dog 23

Smith could move Barnes down to long relief.  Especially since Hembee is a little skittish of late.

Bill-806

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 02, 2017, 10:47:42 AM
Smith could move Barnes down to long relief.  Especially since Hembee is a little skittish of late.
  As  DAD would say,   "SON, Smith needs to get on the FIELD FIRST"  !! thumb_u iono rofl

Bill-806

BTW,  The recovery of Mitch Moreland's big TOE will have a big impact as it did last night.......  Funny how a lousy TOE can disrupt an athlete in any sport !!

SeaBeachFred

Now we must put this good feeling aside and start hoping for some new positive vibes tonight.  Porcello?  Well they're throwing Bauer and he hasn't been too sharp lately either.  It would be real weird if instead of another slug fest tonight we  actually have a pitcher's duel.  Just the same I want our guys to be hitting up a storm as they did last night.  We had a very weak July so how about having an ideal August.  Good dramatic start last night but it would swell if Porcello would start resembling the pitcher who on the Cy Young last year.

Rob from Mass

Quote from: Rob from Mass on August 02, 2017, 10:46:50 AM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 01, 2017, 10:30:29 PM
Quote from: markj on August 01, 2017, 09:48:54 PM
Happy Anniversary, Fred. This game's for you.

Thanks Mark, it was a helluva anniversary present, but this win was for all of us because we're all in this together.  I will remember this for the rest of my days, though.  Of course, it can never be No. 1.  That came on my 64th Birthday on October 27, 2004 and I know you and the rest of my friends he remember what happened that night.

I did not  know that .Putting to rest  “Curse of the Bambino” on your birthday what a helluva present.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on August 02, 2017, 07:12:32 AM
Something happened in out half of the 1st that made me think that this was going to be one of those games.

Mookie was talking about forgetting how to relax and have fun with the game. We've been skawking about that for over a year. It should not take a year and a player to figure that out. This should have been prioritized and fixed a long time ago.   

Vazquez's HR last night was different from his slump causing previous shot. He went up the middle. He stayed with his swing that has got him going again.

Anyone else noticing how many crooked numbered innings Devers has started when leading off? I know, small sample size. Points out nothing but what a bolt of energy does and how success using ones mechanics is part of the hitting becoming contagious thing.

I know we all have said it all along, but the line up needs to be long. Top to bottom. Never ending. No matter who is in there. 6th thru 9th. That is the only way this version of the sox win. I hope they all do not take on the constant HR swing thing again. They cannot live in the power zone. I hope this style continues. We fail if it does not. That simple.   

JB looking very long in his swing again. Perhaps (whoever said it) was right - he's the next one for a spell.

That first part of your missive sure seems clear to me that the team needed a leader to move them into the 2017 season and mitigate as best they could the loss of David Ortiz.  It looks like no one stepped forward and maybe it could have been Mookie himself but he eliminated himself right away with his statement about relaxing.  Well who would have told him to relax and would he have listened.  Now, instead of some leader stepping forward, we have to depend on inspiration from the likes of an older veteran traded to us and a call-up prospect to lead offensively and get us going that way.  As I said last night, the next two weeks might just tell us if this team is ready to be taken seriously.  Last night the answer was year, but as great as it was, it was, after all, only one game.  A few more like that and we might get the answer we want.