GAME #108, CLEVELAND INDIANS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, August 01, 2017, 01:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

INDIANS V RED SOX

TUESDAY, AUGUST 1, 2017, 7 PM AT FENWAY PARK

TV:  NESN, MLBN, (OUT-OF-MARKET ONLY), SPORTS TIME OHIO

CLEVELAND, (57-47).......................................................................................BOSTON, (58-49)

CLEVELAND:

CARLOS CARRASCO, RHP, 10-4, 3.58 ERA, 105K

Carrasco held the Angels to two runs over 6 1/3 innings on Wednesday, striking out
five and walking none.  The big right-hander is 7-2 with a 2.87 ERA in 11 starts this year.

BOSTON:

CHRIS SALE, LHP, 13-4, 2.37 ERA, 211K

The Red Sox ace produced a gem in his last outing, striking out 11 and allowing three
hits in seven scoreless innings against the Mariners.  Sale leads the Majors with 211 strikeouts.
The left-hander has not allowed a run in his last three starts.

Carrasco, Sale duel as Tribe battles Red Sox

Evan Chronis

Carlos Carrasco and the Indians will be reunited with an old foe Tuesday night when former American League Central rival Chris Sale takes the mound for the Red Sox at Fenway Park.

Sale (13-4, 2.37 ERA), who played for the White Sox from 2010-16, holds a 5-7 record with a 4.07 ERA in 27 career appearances (16 starts) against Cleveland.

Indians starter Carlos Carrasco (10-4, 3.58 ERA) has some history with Sale. The right-hander, who has been with the Indians since 2009, has opposed Sale twice in his career -- the first coming in 2014 and the second in '15. Sale came out the victor in both matchups, due mostly in part from Carrasco not being able to make it through five innings in either game.

Early in his White Sox career, Sale appeared as a reliever in two games started by Carrasco.

Carrasco is in as good a position as ever to take one from Sale, as the right-hander is enjoying what could end up as a career year. He leads the Indians in wins, however he hasn't earned a win since July 7. In his last outing, Carrasco got a no-decision after holding the Angels to six hits and two runs in 6 1/3 innings. He is 1-1 with a 4.66 ERA in five career appearances against the Red Sox.

Sale, meanwhile, is arguably on his hottest streak of the season, twirling three scoreless starts since the All-Star break. His scoreless streak of 20 2/3 innings is currently the longest in the Majors.

As for his first season in Boston, the All-Star has already etched his name into the Red Sox's record books. Sale is the second Red Sox pitcher with 14 or more double-digit strikeout games in a season. Pedro Martinez achieved the mark twice while with Boston.

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• Sale is striking out batters at a meteoric level. His 211 whiffs heading into August are the most for any pitcher entering the month since 2002, when Randy Johnson had 215 and Curt Schilling had 212.

• Sale's 21.4-percent called-strike rate in July was his highest for any month this season, by more than 3 percentage points. It also ranked third among pitchers with at least 400 total pitches in July.

• Carrasco has been close to lights-out away from Progressive Field this season. The righty is 7-2 in 11 road starts, and his 2.87 ERA on the road is the sixth-lowest in the AL.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170731245593232/carrasco-sale-duel-as-tribe-battles-red-sox/?game_pk=491683

Bear

RED SOX LINEUP:

BETTS, RF
HOLT, LF
NUNEZ, 2B
RAMIREZ, DH
BRADLEY, CF
DEVERS, 3B
BOGAERTS, SS
MORELAND, 1B
VAZQUEZ, C

SALE, LHP

***************************'
PEDROIA, TO DL

ipot

Carrasco having a good season.  Sale will have to be really on his game.  Our scratch ticket offense will be the factor again.  What else is new?

Nevertheless, the best thing about this season is watching Sale do his thing.  Must see games.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Rob from Mass

With the additions of Nunez and Devers IMHO this is a far better offense than 10 days ago.

Bill-806

Quote from: Rob from Mass on August 01, 2017, 09:58:12 AM
With the additions of Nunez and Devers IMHO this is a far better offense than 10 days ago.
  Another  B I N G O dat !!!!  That's why I say to move Mookie to the 3rd slot and put  Nunez to leadoff !!!   Devers has been electric to watch !!   thumb_u rofl

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Bill-806 on August 01, 2017, 10:27:56 AM
  Another  B I N G O dat !!!!  That's why I say to move Mookie to the 3rd slot and put  Nunez to leadoff !!!   Devers has been electric to watch !!   thumb_u rofl

That was a nice win and a real surprise from Fister last night.  Let's this time do it right and continue to play another good ball game.  Go out and give Sale some hitting support; do NOT starve him for runs.  We need this game tonight with our ace on the mound---please let's not waste another probable great effort by our ace.  Going away for the day with my wife Linda.  You guys hold the fort and keep the good thoughts coming and I'll try to throw out some positive vibes of my own.  Go Xander and have a great game tonight.  I'l be pulling for you.

Rob from Mass

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 01, 2017, 11:03:24 AM
Quote from: Bill-806 on August 01, 2017, 10:27:56 AM

That was a nice win and a real surprise from Fister last night.  Let's this time do it right and continue to play another good ball game.  Go out and give Sale some hitting support; do NOT starve him for runs.  We need this game tonight with our ace on the mound---please let's not waste another probable great effort by our ace.  Going away for the day with my wife Linda.  You guys hold the fort and keep the good thoughts coming and I'll try to throw out some positive vibes of my own.  Go Xander and have a great game tonight.  I'l be pulling for you.

Very nice post my friend .Have a good time today.

Rob from Mass

Tim Britton‏ @TimBritton  29m29 minutes ago

Carson Smith could face hitters by Thursday, be on a rehab assignment by the weekend.

Excellent news!!!

Rob from Mass

Leon with a swollen right knee the last few days and is out of the lineup Tuesday against the Indians.

Rob from Mass

Pedey`s knee injury is cartilage not his ligament.

markj

markj

Sea Dog 23

While with the Chisox, Sale was 5-7 against the Tribe.  They know him well.

markj

More alternate universe stuff. Fister with the 5-0 lead last night, and Sale at 0-5 tonight. Very weird.

Rob from Mass

We all figured he was going to have a clunker a t some point.