GAME #105, KANSAS CITY ROYALS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, July 29, 2017, 01:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ojdidit

The games on the West Coast trip ended before this one. Geez....this game should be the template for all that is wrong with watching a game.

elktonnick

Quote from: Schloicka on July 30, 2017, 12:35:01 AM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 29, 2017, 11:49:07 PM
Quote from: longgame on July 29, 2017, 08:53:35 PM
This is brutal.  Between Bogaerts and his run-prevention baserunning - probably lost us at least 3 runs.  Then Workman is the long man so he puts in Abad and okay, Abad gives him a good inning.  Why on earth would you ever run Abad back out there?  Classic Sox this year - can't stand prosperity and the few times they hit the pitching falls apart.

This was one of Francona's biggest blunders when he managed the team his last three years here---trying to run guys out there for an extra inning after pitching one good one and testing his luck.  In 2009 as I remember, he had to go get the putrid Manny Delgarbage 14 times when he allowed him to start a second inning......14 damn times.  But he overcame that in Cleveland.  Farrell will never learn from his blunders because blunder is his calling card.

Ok so why doesn't someone explain to me what Farrell's blunder was by having Abad come back out for a 2nd inning. Abad has been pitching well. Has gone more than 1 inning a few times. He gave up no runs his 1st inning. He faced only 3 hitters his 1st inning. So what is the reasoning for it being a blunder by Farrell to have Abad come back out? The 1st guy in the 6th got on by a 2 base error by our third baseman on a routine little league play. And Abad walked the 2nd guy which wasn't all that bad because it does set up a double play chance. Abad had very little to do with it being a 4 run inning. Should of been a 1 run, 2 at the most inning. Looks like the error, the passed ball, the wild pitch and the 2 hits given up AFTER Abad left the game were a lot worse than Abad starting the inning.

So again explain to me in detail why it was a blunder to have Abad start the inning. Should be interesting!
reminds me a lot of
Devers may be able to hit Major League pitching (still a question mark despite his two hits last night) but clearly his defense isn't ML ready.  The errors I saw were due to inexperience with playing at this level footwork getting himself set etc.  XB had similar issues hen he first came up. 

I still think it is a mistake to have brought him this quickly.  BTW I know Joe Foy hit from the right side but Devers reminds me a lot of the Sox Impossible Dream 3rd baseman.

Rob from Mass

Quote from: elktonnick on July 30, 2017, 07:18:27 AM
This is brutal.  Between Bogaerts and his run-prevention baserunning - probably lost us at least 3 runs.  Then Workman is the long man so he puts in Abad and okay, Abad gives him a good inning.  Why on earth would you ever run Abad back out there?  Classic Sox this year - can't stand prosperity and the few times they hit the pitching falls apart.

This was one of Francona's biggest blunders when he managed the team his last three years here---trying to run guys out there for an extra inning after pitching one good one and testing his luck.  In 2009 as I remember, he had to go get the putrid Manny Delgarbage 14 times when he allowed him to start a second inning......14 damn times.  But he overcame that in Cleveland.  Farrell will never learn from his blunders because blunder is his calling card.

Ok so why doesn't someone explain to me what Farrell's blunder was by having Abad come back out for a 2nd inning. Abad has been pitching well. Has gone more than 1 inning a few times. He gave up no runs his 1st inning. He faced only 3 hitters his 1st inning. So what is the reasoning for it being a blunder by Farrell to have Abad come back out? The 1st guy in the 6th got on by a 2 base error by our third baseman on a routine little league play. And Abad walked the 2nd guy which wasn't all that bad because it does set up a double play chance. Abad had very little to do with it being a 4 run inning. Should of been a 1 run, 2 at the most inning. Looks like the error, the passed ball, the wild pitch and the 2 hits given up AFTER Abad left the game were a lot worse than Abad starting the inning.

So again explain to me in detail why it was a blunder to have Abad start the inning. Should be interesting!
reminds me a lot of
Devers may be able to hit Major League pitching (still a question mark despite his two hits last night) but clearly his defense isn't ML ready.  The errors I saw were due to inexperience with playing at this level footwork getting himself set etc.  XB had similar issues hen he first came up. 

I still think it is a mistake to have brought him this quickly.  BTW I know Joe Foy hit from the right side but Devers reminds me a lot of the Sox Impossible Dream 3rd baseman.

Sox are hoping he improves with age but there is so much to improve for him at 3rd .That being said it would not surprise me one bit to see him trying out at 1st in ST .I still say he will wind up at DL within a year no more than 2 .Can not keep his huge potential of offense not being in the lineup.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Rob from Mass on July 30, 2017, 08:12:40 AM

reminds me a lot of

Sox are hoping he improves with age but there is so much to improve for him at 3rd .That being said it would not surprise me one bit to see him trying out at 1st in ST .I still say he will wind up at DL within a year no more than 2 .Can not keep his huge potential of offense not being in the lineup.

Then who plays third???? Certainly not Bogaerts.....please.  No!!!!  You keep working with Devers and work on his footwork, body placement and body alignment.  Remember Wade Boggs came up and hit and hit but the worried themselves sick over his fielding at first go-round, but hard work made it possible for him to become a decent defensive third baseman.  Do the same with Devers.   We have a first baseman in the wings in Sam Travis.  I don't want him shunted aside while we have a new weakling at third base.  Devers and Travis must be our corner infielders next season-------with Farrell working somewhere else.

Schloicka

From what I've seen of Devers so far I think most of his mistakes will be mental. And yes I consider him throwing the ball away last night more mental than physical. The problem last night was the fact he had to much time to think about it. He needs to be worked with on basically getting a rhythm to how he throws the ball no matter how much time he has. If it needs to be thrown quicker because of whose running that will happen without thinking about it.

Right now it's a trade off of a decent bat for the occasional mistake. Nunez will be the same way. Nunez has always been that way in his career. From what I have heard about Nunez is he's a hard worker but every player has a ceiling no matter how hard they work. Devers right now will be worked with a lot. If he takes it seriously he can improve. The question is what is his ceiling when playing defense?

ojdidit

The scouting reports on Devers fielding ability that appear on MLB Pipeline, Baseball America and Sox prospects appear to be quite accurate.

Rob from Mass

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 30, 2017, 10:14:33 AM
Quote from: Rob from Mass on July 30, 2017, 08:12:40 AM

reminds me a lot of

Then who plays third???? Certainly not Bogaerts.....please.  No!!!!  You keep working with Devers and work on his footwork, body placement and body alignment.  Remember Wade Boggs came up and hit and hit but the worried themselves sick over his fielding at first go-round, but hard work made it possible for him to become a decent defensive third baseman.  Do the same with Devers.   We have a first baseman in the wings in Sam Travis.  I don't want him shunted aside while we have a new weakling at third base.  Devers and Travis must be our corner infielders next season-------with Farrell working somewhere else.

Your right about Boggs.He worked his tail off and became a good defensive player.That's the good part the bad is it took him around 7 years to age 27.As long as you don`t throw the guy to the wolves when he commits 30 plus E for the next few years. He was on pace for 40 plus this season in the minors.

longgame

Quote from: markj on July 29, 2017, 08:54:16 PM
One thing I hate about NESN is their insistence on playing the same stupid commercial during every break. I'm sick to death of looking at Wahlberg and his rodent.

I'm just happy they changed the Southwest commercial from the first half of the season.