GAME #89, BOSTON RED SOX AT TAMPA BAY RAYS

Started by Bear, July 09, 2017, 12:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schloicka

Was my thought for Beni to let the foul ball drop. But they don't think that way. It would of momentarily stopped them from getting the run to tie it but who knows what would of happened after that.

Hanley screwed up on the JBJ bloop single. If he had gone 1st to 3rd the Sox would of scored on the diving catch foul ball in right. If the Sox don't start getting some production out of our 3-5 hitters that means something it will be a long 2nd half. Hanley has been getting some base hits but there never seems to be to many on base when he does. Moreland needs to move down in the lineup behind Beni and JBJ or let Travis play for a while.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Bill-806 on July 09, 2017, 10:29:18 AM
As DAD would say,  "SON, as Jimmy Dolittle said in the early days of WWII, "VICTORY GOES TO THOSE WHO WANT IT THE MOST, WANT IT THE LONGEST"....The SOX need todays game really bad, lets see who shows up ??  thumb_u rofl iono slap

Well our guys weren't listening to you Bill.  You saw Pukegaerts go 0 for 5 because he is nothing more than a gutless choking bastard who should not be in the third slot of the batting order any more.  He sucks and the pitchers are now on to him but it is a total and complete surprise that more on this board haven't realized by now  that this guy is an overrated choker.  Betts also stands convicted because, homer or not today, he hasn't hit worth shit in the past five games.  This team may be in first place right now but, mark ,my words, if another AL East team gets real hot we will be steam rolled because our team lacks character, heart, guts and balls.

ipot

Lost 4 of 5.  The offense looks like crap again.  Somehow the pen blowing doesn't bother me as much as the bats going DOA.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bear

Only bright part of today's games, the yankees took another loss.
Yankees and Rays are now tied and 3.5 games behind the Sox.

Muggah

I am furious with the way this group finished out the week. A real downer.

The only silver lining may be that this week opened DD's eyes to our real need---like getting a bat or two who can produce.
Bosox Board: The Exclusive Home of Muggah

Bill-806

RESPONSIBILTY  ????  Who is going to step up to this 3/4 loss in Tampa Bay !! thumb_d rofl iono slap

ipot

Quote from: Bear on July 09, 2017, 06:15:44 PM

If we are to "assume" the Sox are the frontrunners for the ALE title, then it's the Rays who are the real threat, imo.  Not the NYY.  I think the NYY peaked - and with the injuries and so-so pitching - will fade away. 

TB has, like in years past, been quietly winning and closing in.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

What a way to end the first half ??  Just disgusting !!! thumb_d slap

longgame

Quote from: Muggah on July 09, 2017, 07:10:45 PM
I am furious with the way this group finished out the week. A real downer.

The only silver lining may be that this week opened DD's eyes to our real need---like getting a bat or two who can produce.

I don't think this week was any different than any other - they win when they hit, but they just disappear at the plate for stretches.  It's frustrating to watch, especially as it doesn't seem to matter who they're up against, they just decide to swing at crap and half the time they're not sure if they want to hit the ball. 

Rob from Mass

Quote from: ipot on July 09, 2017, 10:46:31 PM
Quote from: Bear on July 09, 2017, 06:15:44 PM

If we are to "assume" the Sox are the frontrunners for the ALE title, then it's the Rays who are the real threat, imo.  Not the NYY.  I think the NYY peaked - and with the injuries and so-so pitching - will fade away. 

TB has, like in years past, been quietly winning and closing in.

You are right about the NYY.I also believe they peaked and the Rays are indeed the ones to watch.While Judge is having a rookie season for the AGES it's hard to think the kid can keep this up all season long.Sox keep a bat especially at 3rd but which team is simply going to give one away for little in return. ANSWER..NO ONE. I just can`t see them getting someone that is the answer to the 3rd base horror without giving up someone in their top 10 prospects. JUST WON`T HAPPEN.
The only one I can see is Todd Frazier of that other Sox team. A power hitter with little in the BA department.Under control for 2017 and FA in 2018.Shouldn`t cost a top prospect and at least add some needed power.

SeaBeachFred

We need hitting and we're not getting it from chokers like Pukegaerts, Zitts, Puddy, Boreland, and bumbling Hanley.  As long as they cannot hit consistently we are starving for production and as much as I like Lin his contributions are minimal since he is NOT a run producer as those other guys are supposed to be.  Let me put some new colors in your paint box.....and all my friends here listen carefully......IF WE GO SOUTH IN THAT FOUR GAME SERIES AGAINST THE YANKEES AFTER THE ASB WE ARE HEADED DOWN A SLIPPERY SLOP INTO THE DEEP TANK.  Remember September, 2011?  We could have a repeat of that.  Yes, this team is potentially a good one but is also potentially a shitty one too.

Bill-806

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 10, 2017, 09:28:17 AM
We need hitting and we're not getting it from chokers like Pukegaerts, Zitts, Puddy, Boreland, and bumbling Hanley.  As long as they cannot hit consistently we are starving for production and as much as I like Lin his contributions are minimal since he is NOT a run producer as those other guys are supposed to be.  Let me put some new colors in your paint box.....and all my friends here listen carefully......IF WE GO SOUTH IN THAT FOUR GAME SERIES AGAINST THE YANKEES AFTER THE ASB WE ARE HEADED DOWN A SLIPPERY SLOP INTO THE DEEP TANK.  Remember September, 2011?  We could have a repeat of that.  Yes, this team is potentially a good one but is also potentially a shitty one too.
  Where are the HITTING COACHES ???  They need a change of philosophy !! thumb_d iono slap rofl

Schloicka

If the Sox are determined to get a 3rd baseman I'd look at Jed Lowrie. He's hitting .279 with 9 Hr's and 32 RBI. He's a switch hitter who can play 3rd, SS & 2nd. Would owe him the remainder of his 6.5 million salary and he has a team option for next year at the same cost or you buy him out for 1 million. Basically a rental unless you want to keep him. Obviously he's a much better LH hitter looking at his stats. I'd rather have him because of his versatility and the fact he has a much higher average than the guy from the White Sox and he still has some pop in his bat.

longgame

Quote from: Schloicka on July 10, 2017, 10:53:52 AM
If the Sox are determined to get a 3rd baseman I'd look at Jed Lowrie. He's hitting .279 with 9 Hr's and 32 RBI. He's a switch hitter who can play 3rd, SS & 2nd. Would owe him the remainder of his 6.5 million salary and he has a team option for next year at the same cost or you buy him out for 1 million. Basically a rental unless you want to keep him. Obviously he's a much better LH hitter looking at his stats. I'd rather have him because of his versatility and the fact he has a much higher average than the guy from the White Sox and he still has some pop in his bat.

Lowrie is always good when he's on the field.  I think he's had one complete season.  Maybe if he's healthy, but I wouldn't give up much for him. 

Rob from Mass

Quote from: Schloicka on July 10, 2017, 10:53:52 AM

I forgot about old friend Jed.You are right he could be a good fit and yeah I agree better for the Sox than Frazier.
I like to read suggestions rather than saying we need this or that. Good info.