GAME #68, BOSTON RED SOX AT HOUSTON ASTROS

Started by Bear, June 17, 2017, 02:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

RED SOX V ASTROS

SATURDAY, JUNE 16, 2017, 8 PM AT MINUTE MAID PARK

TV:  FOX

BOSTON, (38-29).............................................................................HOUSTON, (45-23)

BOSTON:

RICK PORCELLO, 3-8, 4.67 ERA, 82K

Porcello, post Cy Young Award slump continued in his last start, as he
gave up ten hits and five runs in six innings vs the Phillies.  The righty
leads the Majors in hits allowed (114) and is tied for the most losses,

HOUSTON:

DAVID PAULINE, 0-0, 6.59 ERA, 16K

Paulino, in three starts and 13 2/3 innings, has allowed ten earned
runs on 19 hits and at least one homerun  in each start.  He's struck
out 16 since May 31 and walked four.

Sox, Astros have mutual respect for each other

Christian Boutwell

Prior to Game 2 of the weekend's three-game series in Houston, the Red Sox and Astros -- teams who both hold one of three best records in the American League -- have mutual respect for each other, their managers said.

"They're a good team and they do a lot of things well," Astros manager A.J. Hinch said of Boston. "They've got an electrifying back end of the bullpen, they've got a ton of contact throughout their order, they don't strike out and have tough at-bats. They do a lot do things well that produce wins for them. They have a tough lineup and have a number of ways to beat you, so we've got to play well to beat them."

"They're a good team," Red Sox manager John Farrell added about the Astros. "Their record speaks for itself. They've gone through a number of injuries themselves and have been able to withstand them. This should be a good series. We're looking forward to it, as we have every series. But more importantly, it's how we execute from the mound. That's what will determine this series."

Neither starting pitcher for Saturday's game has won a decision since May 23, when Red Sox righty Rick Porcello (3-8, 4.67 ERA) won his last decision in 14 starts this season.

Porcello, who's allowed an average of 4.3 earned runs in three June starts, will face the Astros' David Paulino. The rookie right-hander will make his fourth start this season Saturday and has yet to earn a decision.

Porcello is 1-0 in his career in two starts vs. the Astros with a 3.29 ERA. In his last five starts, Porcello (1-3) has a 5.46 ERA and has allowed 19 earned runs on 47 hits in 31 1/3 innings.

In three starts, Paulino (6.59 ERA) has surrendered a home run in each, and 10 earned runs in 13 1/3 innings.

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• Porcello has pitched six or more innings in each of his last 19 road starts, marking the longest active streak in the majors (8-4, 3.30 ERA). Porcello last made a start against Houston on May 7, 2014.

• This season, the Astros are 8-3 against the AL East while the Red Sox are 7-4 vs. the AL West.

• Red Sox closer Craig Kimbrel notched his AL-leading 19th save with a 1-2-3 ninth in Friday's series opener. Right-handed hitters are just 2-for-59 (.034) against Kimbrel this season.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170616236835728/sox-astros-have-mutual-respect-for-each-other/?game_pk=491116

Rob from Mass

While Porcello continues to give the team 6 innings just about every outing pitching to a 6 plus era in those outing sucks.
This is a great time to somehow throw at least a QS in those innings.

Rob from Mass

With the Yankees having their problems with the lowly As and Angels the Sox just 2 back in the loss column.
Very manageable with 97 to go.

Bill-806

Quote from: Rob from Mass on June 17, 2017, 08:41:30 AM
With the Yankees having their problems with the lowly As and Angels the Sox just 2 back in the loss column.
  Yes, 97 to go, howevaa, from April to NOW, we have perhaps 15 L's that should/could/would have been W's that were misplayed by basic mistakes & decisions !!   Just saying.. thumb_d rofl iono

Rob from Mass

Quote from: Bill-806 on June 17, 2017, 08:49:51 AM
  Yes, 97 to go, howevaa, from April to NOW, we have perhaps 15 L's that should/could/would have been W's that were misplayed by basic mistakes & decisions !!   Just saying.. thumb_d rofl iono

15 games is a HUGE exaggeration.And wouldn`t you say every team is guilty of the same?
So by your math, the Sox should be 53 -14.                    LMFAO.

Bill-806

Quote from: Rob from Mass on June 17, 2017, 09:05:09 AM

15 games is a HUGE exaggeration.And wouldn`t you say every team is guilty of the same?
  Why not ???  Look at the standings, with all the $$$$ involved, there just seems to be too much HAPPINESS with a BUNCH of  500+ -  TEAMS....   Or shucks, lets give them all a TROPHY after every game !!!   Play to win, win, win, every game !!! thumb_u iono

Rob from Mass

Quote from: Bill-806 on June 17, 2017, 09:12:32 AM

Why not ???  Look at the standings, with all the $$$$ involved, there just seems to be too much HAPPINESS with a BUNCH of  500+ -  TEAMS....   Or shucks, lets give them all a TROPHY after every game !!!   Play to win, win, win, every game !!! thumb_u iono

What a A. H. !!!!!;

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Rob from Mass on June 17, 2017, 09:38:37 AM

What a A. H. !!!!!;

The fact is Rob, whether you care for what the guy says or not the team has underachieved a good deal of the time so far this season.  Our hitting has been very inconsistent, our starting pitching hot and cold, our fundamentals in the toilet. our base running instincts almost non existent, and enough blunders from the manager to make me wonder how much better we might be.  How about six or seven games better at this juncture?  Last night with a modicum of hitting, we went into Houston against a very good team and won a close game with solid pitching throughout the game.  I know you can't get that every game but for me I think our team is capable of playing better than it has-----and we can't be worried about contracts or salary.  Put the best men in there, OR, the ones who seem to have the ability to go the little things that help a team win.  Porcello is a key---and he needs to start doing more than giving us innings because he has been a human pinata on the mound.  We've gotten a bit of a break as the A's have taken the Yankees two straight.  It would be to our advantage to take advantage of that.  If we can win this series it would say a lot for us.  Just my opinion.

Bill-806

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on June 17, 2017, 10:14:37 AM
Quote from: Rob from Mass on June 17, 2017, 09:38:37 AM

What a A. H. !!!!!;

The fact is Rob, whether you care for what the guy says or not the team has underachieved a good deal of the time so far this season.  Our hitting has been very inconsistent, our starting pitching hot and cold, our fundamentals in the toilet. our base running instincts almost non existent, and enough blunders from the manager to make me wonder how much better we might be.  How about six or seven games better at this juncture?  Last night with a modicum of hitting, we went into Houston against a very good team and won a close game with solid pitching throughout the game.  I know you can't get that every game but for me I think our team is capable of playing better than it has-----and we can't be worried about contracts or salary.  Put the best men in there, OR, the ones who seem to have the ability to go the little things that help a team win.  Porcello is a key---and he needs to start doing more than giving us innings because he has been a human pinata on the mound.  We've gotten a bit of a break as the A's have taken the Yankees two straight.  It would be to our advantage to take advantage of that.  If we can win this series it would say a lot for us.  Just my opinion.
  B I N G O dat !!!    By the way Mr. ROB from Mass.,  Col. Jimmy Dolittle from World War II fame once told his flyers that " VICTORY GOES TO THOSE WHO BELIEVE IN IT MOST, BELIEVE THE LONGEST "......  So, why can't we expect our PAID  (overly)  win MANY more than they loose ??

Bill-806

A H  ????   Mr. Rob,  if I didn't know any better, it almost feels that you are trying to suppress my ability to have  " AN OPINION" towards my baseball team.....  Actually,  the nice thing about being a baseball fan (any sport) is that we are  all managers & G M's and we know more than they do !!! thumb_u rofl slap

Rob from Mass

Quote from: Bill-806 on June 17, 2017, 10:40:40 AM
   A H  ????   Mr. Rob,  if I didn't know any better, it almost feels that you are trying to suppress my ability to have  " AN OPINION" towards my baseball team.....  Actually,  the nice thing about being a baseball fan (any sport) is that we are  all managers & G M's and we know more than they do !!! thumb_u rofl slap

A..H...   

longgame

Porcello has been bad, but as long as he can go about 6 innings and 4 runs, they should have a shot.  Of course going up against someone they've never seen probably means another low scoring night.  Someone should tell the Sox you can actually check out these guys on video and with scouts before you play them.  sigh

Bill-806

Quote from: Rob from Mass on June 17, 2017, 11:15:51 AM

A..H...
A  H  ???   Mr. Rob ,  that's two times now, one more and it will become very official that you tend to pitch to the LEFT, far left at that !!! :losers rofl

Rob from Mass

Quote from: Bill-806 on June 17, 2017, 12:21:17 PM
Quote from: Rob from Mass on June 17, 2017, 11:15:51 AM

A..H...
A  H  ???   Mr. Rob ,  that's two times now, one more and it will become very official that you tend to pitch to the LEFT, far left at that !!! :losers rofl

Far to left it is Billy Bingo.   .  .

ipot

Quote from: longgame on June 17, 2017, 11:55:57 AM
Porcello has been bad, but as long as he can go about 6 innings and 4 runs, they should have a shot.  Of course going up against someone they've never seen probably means another low scoring night.  Someone should tell the Sox you can actually check out these guys on video and with scouts before you play them.  sigh

Bizarre ain't it?  Last year's Cy Young winner now has to hope for a match up against a guy with a 6.59 ERA to have a chance at winning a game.... :P
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee