GAME #57, BOSTON RED SOX V NEW YORK YANKEES

Started by Bear, June 05, 2017, 01:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schloicka

Before tonight's game all I was hoping for was to get out of NY without it being a disaster. The Sox accomplished that tonight. Even if the Sox don't win another game this series they can only lose 1 game in the standings overall. If they win 2 games this series I'd consider it a job well done. If they win all 3? Not easy to win in NY. Just take it a game at a time.

ipot

If we're gonna get 6 hits on the night, 3 of them mind as well be HRs.  8)  Pomeranz out of gas by the 6th and some scary stuff out of the pen, but all in all the pitching was to be commended tonight cause the offense sputtered out after Beni's HR.  Big, big W though.

Oh, would I love 2 out of 3 here :-X
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bear

RED SOX 5, YANKEES 4: AARON JUDGE BECAME MORTAL AT JUST THE RIGHT TIME

Rob Bradford

NEW YORK â€" By the time Aaron Judge came to the plate with two outs in the seventh inning Tuesday night, there had been three home runs hit, but none of them were off the bat of the Yankees rookie.
Considering the rookie’s super-human presence this season, it seemed as though this was a perfect time to make another momentous mark. Judge already had notched a pair of hits, and hitting his big league-leading 19th homer to tie the game would seem to be perfect timing.

But Joe Kelly had other ideas.

With Brett Gardner standing at second and two outs, Kelly faced off with Judge with the lead on the line. In terms of early
June pennant race moments, this was a good one.

First pitch: Elevated 102 mph fastball. Foul ball.
Second pitch: 101 mph heater, with a little Daisuke Matsuzaka-like hesitation in Kelly’s delivery. Ball, high.
Third pitch: The first slider of the at-bat, coming in at 93 mph. Foul ball.
Fourth pitch: Another 101 mph fastball. Another foul ball.
Fifth pitch: The fastest pitch in Red Sox history â€" 104 mph fastball. Amazingly, another foul by Judge.
Sixth pitch: Slider Judge just waves at for the third strike.

For Kelly, it was one of the defining moments of his season. It’s been a year, by the way, which has the reliever sitting with a 1.42 ERA and .191 opponents batting average.

Judge has simply been the best hitter in baseball, not only clearing fences, but becoming the legitimate, all-around hitter many thought the 6-foot-7 behemoth would never evolve into. Prior to the seventh inning at-bat, there were enough examples of what he could do. The opposite field single placed into right. The catch he made on Jackie Bradley Jr.’s blast to the warning track, with Judge seemingly denting the outfield fence before tumbling to the ground.

But at the end of the day, it was the Red Sox, and Kelly, who showed what’s what while closing to within one game in the race for first-place in the American League thanks to a 5-4 win at Yankee Stadium win. (For a complete recap, click here.)

Judge had one more chance at redemption in the ninth inning, but Red Sox closer Craig Kimbrel closed out the Sox’ win by getting the slugger on a 99 mph fastball.

The Red Sox hitters even beat Judge and the Yankees at their own game, owning three of the four homers of the game. It should be noted that before the series opener kicked off, this was a Sox team that owned the fewest home runs in the American League, 31 fewer than New York.

This time, however, it was Mitch Moreland, Hanley Ramirez and Andrew Benintendi who went deep. It was just the fifth time this season the Red Sox managed three or more home runs in one game.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2017/06/06/red-sox-5-yankees-4-aaron-judge-became-moral-just-at-the-right-time/

Bear

One heck of a game.  And this is the first time in months that I enjoyed posting an article.

Bear

Fred, sorry you missed this one, we miss you too.  How could you not come in
for the Sox/Yankee games? sigh

Rob from Mass

Only a paltry 5 hits off a really terrible Tanaka was not good .But the W and over .500 by 7 games for the 1st time feels good.

Bill-806

Nice GAME ....   As DAD would say,  "SON, that's OUR  TEAM" thumb_u rofl  !!!

Rob from Mass

Good bad or terrible Sox are a team to root for all the time. Gotta take the bad as well as the good in sports.Do not expect any team to play consistently  over a 162 game slate.Simply can't  happen.Highs and lows occur every season.As fans we must take bad with the good.

elktonnick

As a Red Sox fan for more than sixty years, I've seen more bad than good.  There reason that we can appreciate and get truly excited about a great win is because of the pain from a bad loss.   Simply put, without the bad, the good would be joyless.

Bill-806

Quote from: elktonnick on June 07, 2017, 04:48:44 PM
As a Red Sox fan for more than sixty years, I've seen more bad than good.  There reason that we can appreciate and get truly excited about a great win is because of the pain from a bad loss.   Simply put, without the bad, the good would be joyless.
  B I N G O   dat !!! thumb_u rofl slap