GAME #27, BALTIMORE ORIOLES AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, May 03, 2017, 03:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

ORIOLES V RED SOX

WEDNESDAY, MAY 3, 2017, 7:10 PM AT FENWAY PARK

TV:  NESN, MASN

BALTIMORE, (16-9)......................................................................................BOSTON, (14-12)

KEVIN GAUSMAN, RHP, 1-2, 7.50ERA, 20K

The right hander is in desperate need of a good result in the wake of an ever
blossoming ERA which has risen to 7.50.  Over the last three starts, including one
vs the Red Sox, Gausman has allowed 18 earned runs, 24 hits and 8 walks in 14 IP.

BOSTON:

DREW POMERANZ, LHP, 2-1, 4.15ERA, 17K

The lefty threw 58 of his 95 pitches for curve balls in his start, and the
recipe was a successful one, leading to a win over the Cubs.  Pomeranz gave
up two runs over six innings in that one.

Heated Sox-O's rivalry continues at Fenway

Quinn Roberts

Red Sox left-hander Drew Pomeranz will make his fifth start of the season opposite Orioles right-hander Kevin Gausman on Wednesday night at Fenway Park in a rivalry that has added another chapter between the two American League East clubs.

On April 21, Dustin Pedroia was injured on hard slide by the Orioles' Manny Machado on a play at second base, and on April 23 Red Sox reliever Matt Barnes was ejected for throwing at Machado's head. Barnes was handed a four-game suspension for his actions.

In the first inning of Tuesday's game, Red Sox ace Chris Sale threw a pitch behind Machado, and both teams were issued warnings.
In two starts vs. Baltimore this season, Pomeranz is 1-1 with a 2.38 ERA over 11 1/3 innings.

Over a six-inning performance on Friday against the Cubs, Pomeranz's win centered around his curveball. Of the 95 pitches the left-hander threw, a career-high 58 were curveballs.

"I guess it wasn't the game plan going in, but I faced these guys last year and had a lot of success with my curveball against them," Pomeranz said after the game. "As the game went along, they weren't putting the bat on it, so I just kept throwing it."

Gausman, meanwhile, has allowed six home runs over 14 innings during his past three starts.

In his last start on Friday against the Yankees, the right-hander tossed six innings, allowing five runs on eight hits for the no-decision.

THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• The Red Sox have outscored opponents 11-1 in the first inning of their last eight games.

• Mookie Betts is hitting .435 (10-for-23) with three home runs and seven RBIs vs. Gausman.

• Gausman has allowed an "expected" weighted on-base average (wOBA) of .374, compared with his .313 mark in 2016. Out of 103 pitchers with at least 100 at-bats this year, only seven have a higher expected wOBA.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170502227939300/heated-sox-os-rivalry-continues-at-fenway/?game_pk=490502

Bear

Game 27: Orioles at Red Sox

Peter Abraham

Here are the lineups:

RED SOX (14-12)   ORIOLES (16-9)

Pedroia,2B                  Rickard, RF
Benintendi CF.............Jones CF
Betts RF....................Machado 3B
Ramirez DH..............   Trumbo DH
Bogaerts SS.............   Davis 1B
Moreland 1B............   Schoop 2B
Young LF.................   Mancini LF
Hernandez 3B..........   Hardy SS
Vazquez C...............   Joseph C
Pitching: LHP Drew Pomeranz (2-1, 4.15).   

Pitching: RHP Kevin Gausman (1-2, 7.50).

Game time: 7:10 p.m.

TV/Radio: NESN / WEEI.

Red Sox vs. Gausman:

Bogaerts 8-29,
Betts 10-23,
Pedroia 6-20,
Young 5-17,
Bradley 2-15,
Ramirez 3-13,
Moreland 3-15,
Leon 0-8,
Vazquez 0-8,
Hernandez 2-6,
Benintendi 3-3,
Rutledge 0-2.

Orioles vs. Pomeranz:
Jones 3-11,
Davis 2-9,
Machado 2-8,
Trumbo 2-8,
Schoop 0-6,
Gentry 1-5,
Hardy 1-6,
Mancini 1-4,
Joseph 1-1,
Smith 0-1.

Stat of the Day: In his last eight appearances, Craig Kimbrel has faced 27 hitters and retired 25 of them, 16 by strikeout.

Notes:

The Sox are 3-4 on a homestand that has two games remaining.
They are 3-4 against the Orioles this season. …
Drew Pomeranz has faced Baltimore twice this season and allowed three earned runs on nine hits over 11.1 innings.
In nine career starts at Fenway since being traded to the Sox, Pomeranz has a 5.68 ERA and has allowed 12 home runs. …
Gausman faced the Red Sox at Fenway on April 23 and allowed five runs on eight hits over 5.1 innings. …
Dustin Pedroia is 7 of 17 since being dropped to the sixth spot but with only one RBI. He has not had had an extra-base hit in 45 at-bats going back to April 14. …
Sox pitchers have a 2.46 ERA in the last 12 games. …
Jackie Bradley Jr. is 2 of his last 28. …
Hanley Ramirez is 11 of 29 in the last eight games with five home runs and eight RBIs.

Song of the Day: “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding,” by Brinsley Schwarz.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2017/05/03/game-orioles-red-sox/2F0vRVy8ShhVqqlWQBcXAN/story.html

Bill-806

Rob from Mass

Kimbrel starting to look like the dominant closer we thought he would be .Only 2 BBin 11 outings and they came in 1 outing. It's nice now that I don`t need a beverage on hand when he comes in.

SeaBeachFred

Can we just get back to reality and understand that we have only won ONE game in a row  the last few games and until we can start putting a streak together we are just treading water.  Last night the top of our lineup did their job but they have to continue doing it as long as Bradley is in one of his three month slumps and little Marco can't hit with RISP to save his rear end.  Pomeranz must also avoid giving up the home run ball tonight.  Time to start playing solid baseball and stop with the excuses and rationalizations.  Let's see what we're made of and as you know I have my doubts about our team and have since before the opening bell.

Rob from Mass

Wright looking at possible season-ending surgery on his left knee.

elktonnick

JBJ has been benched for tonight's game.  Was it because of his boneheaded move not to run to 1st allowing a triple play? Or is it because Young has a slightly better BA against Gausman than Bradley?  Any one care to venture an opinion.

Bill-806

Quote from: elktonnick on May 03, 2017, 03:57:58 PM
JBJ has been benched for tonight's game.  Was it because of his boneheaded move not to run to 1st allowing a triple play? Or is it because Young has a slightly better BA against Gausman than Bradley?  Any one care to venture an opinion.
  It is a wake up call or maybe  J F thought he was do a night off ???

SeaBeachFred

Maybe at long last Farrell just reached the tipping point regarding his team's stupidity and lack of focus and decided to heed your suggestion Elk.  Then again, Young might be stronger against Gausman even though he is not very good against RH pitchers.  So I will give a rare benefit of the doubt to Farrell and take your position on it.  After all, Jackie hasn't exactly been Mike Trout lately.  Here's my question.....suppose Young has a terrific game and then another tomorrow.  Do they ten bench Young to shoehorn Bradley back in the lineup.  I'm beginning to think that Jackie might be one of our chips for a pitcher or third baseman if he ever starts hitting again.

Muggah

It's the latter, elk. Farrell isn't tough enough to bench anyone. And nobody knows it better than the players on this roster.
Bosox Board: The Exclusive Home of Muggah

Schloicka

Ump is a moron for throwing the O's pitcher out. He has no clue.

markj

Yeah, this ump is a chump tonight for sure.

Pom-Pom doing ok so far. Would like to see him get into the 7th.

markj

Moreland needs to try something, anything, to beat this shift thing.

elktonnick

Like I posted several days ago, Moreland is driving me crazy with his refusal to try and push the ball to the left to beat the shift. Moreland has trouble hitting lefthanders anyway so it is really inexcusable that he doesn't at least try it once in awhile when he is facing a southpaw.

longgame

I'm sure he's out only because it's Young's role to hit against lefties.  What's amazing is that Farrell didn't sit one of the other guys and actually sat Bradley.