DETROIT:

JORDAN ZIMMERMAN, RHP, 0-0, -.- ERA

Zimmerman begins his second season as a Tiger with his health after
an injury-plagued 2016 campaign.  That's the good news for him.  He
endured a rough Spring Training with 25 runs allowed on 20 hits over
14-1/3 innings.

E-Rod, Zim eager to work after delayed starts

Ian Browne

For Red Sox lefty Eduardo Rodriguez and Tigers righty Jordan Zimmermann, Saturday's pitching matchup in Detroit can't come soon enough.

Rodriguez was supposed to pitch Thursday, only to have his first start of the season pushed back two days after a rainout. Zimmermann, who dealt with food poisoning earlier in the week, had his Wednesday start postponed due to rain in Chicago.

The pitchers will tell you they didn't perform to their full capabilities last season. Rodriguez went 3-7 with a 4.71 ERA after a strong 10-6 rookie season in '15.

"Yeah, he's primed and ready to go," Red Sox manager John Farrell said of Rodriguez. "I thought there were a number of outings in Spring Training where he was not only powerful, but showed an improved slider. There's a little bit more depth to the pitch. From a health standpoint, he's ready to go."

Zimmermann posted a 4.87 ERA in an injury-shortened first season (18 starts) with Detroit.

"I woke up [Wednesday] and the plan was for me to pitch, and then all of a sudden it was rained out and [manager] Brad [Ausmus] called me and said I'm pitching Saturday, so I didn't know if he wanted to give me a couple extra days because of the food poisoning, or if he wanted to mix with the rotation or what," said Zimmermann. "But I was ready to go, and I was ready to go [Thursday]."

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• The Red Sox, who have been dealing with a rampant flu bug in recent weeks, hope to get Mookie Betts and/or Hanley Ramirez back in the lineup for Saturday's game. Betts has missed the last two games. Friday was the first game Ramirez missed.

• Zimmermann needs to improve on his performance at Comerica Park, where he posted a 7.00 ERA in 11 outings last year. Rodriguez held his own on the road in 2016, notching a 3.71 ERA in 11 starts.

• Look for Red Sox backup catcher Christian Vazquez to get his first start on Saturday. Farrell appreciates the way he works with Rodriguez. Vazquez had a strong Spring Training behind the plate, proving that he's all the way back from the Tommy John surgery he had two years ago.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/red-sox-vs-tigers/2017/04/08/490164#game_state=preview,game_tab=,game=490164

Bear

RED SOX V TIGERS, GAME #4

RED SOX LINEUP

HOLT, DH
PEDROIA, B
BENINTENDI, LF
MORELAND, 1B
SANDOVAL, 3B
BRADLEY, CF
YOUNG, RF
HERNANDEZ, SS
VASQUEZ, C

RODRIGUEZ, RHP

ipot

1-0 Sox.  Moreland is hitting the ball well right now. 
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

markj

3rd inning, bases loaded, one out. So *of course* the next batter (Benintendi) hits into a DP. You knew that was coming.

markj

Couple of beautiful catches by Hernandez and JBJ saved E-Rod from a long inning.

markj

E-Rod gives up dinger #2. Luckily both solos. But the second dinger was followed by a double and a wild pitch, so more runs are coming.

markj

Sure enough. Tiggers up 3-1 now.

markj

E-Rod gives up another hit. Poor base running gets Kinzler, but not before a run comes in. Sox down 4-1. E-Rod is cratering this inning. After an opening K, he gave up a solo homer, double, wild pitch, another double, and a single. And he's still pitching. 

markj

Finally ends the inning with another K.

markj

Same old Sox. Plenty of scoring chances and can't get it done.

markj

Sox blow yet another scoring chance by hitting into a DP. Oy.

markj

Good showing today by Noe. 1+ scoreless innings, with help from JBJ.

markj

Selsky (who??) K's looking to end the game. Sox lose 4-1. BP did well today, but the offense was atrocious.

Bear

Not the start I envisioned.  No telling how Bradley will feel in the morning.
I saw Mookie Betts on the bench, maybe tomorrow he can play????

SeaBeachFred

I'm disgusted and that is all I'm going to say.  Now when the hell do we get our team back on the field?