Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

PIRATES V RED SOX

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 5, 7:10 PM AT FENWAY PARK

TV:  NESN, ROOTPT

PITTSBURGH, 0-1................................................BOSTON, 1-0

PITTSBURG:

JAMES TAILLON, RHP, 0-0, -.-, ERA

Taillon, who is entering his first full season in the Majors, went 5-4 with a 3.38 ERA in his 18-start initiation last year. This is Taillon's first visit to Fenway.

BOSTON:

CHRIS SALE, LHP, 0-0, -,-, ERA

In one of those rare occasions when the second game of the season should have the same
intensity and excitement as the first, Chris Sale will make his official debut in a Red Sox
uniform against the Pirates on Wednesday night.

Sale making Red Sox debut opposite Bucs' Taillon

Ian Browne

In one of those rare occasions when the second game of the season should have the same intensity and excitement as the first, Chris Sale will make his official debut in a Red Sox uniform against the Pirates on Wednesday night.

The Pirates will counter with talented righty Jameson Taillon, who was the No. 2 pick in the 2010 Draft. Sale was picked 13th by the White Sox in the same Draft

Fenway Park will be rocking for an occasion that has been anticipated since the lanky lefty ace was acquired from White Sox back on Dec. 6. Sale enjoyed a smooth initiation to the Red Sox during Spring Training but is now looking forward to pitching in games that count.
"It's a winning tradition here," Sale said recently. "Winning is at the top of the list. Everybody associated with the Boston Red Sox wants to win and you have to love that."

Taillon, who is entering his first full season in the Majors, went 5-4 with a 3.38 ERA in his 18-start initiation last year. This is Taillon's first visit to Fenway.

"Hopefully I just keep guys on the ground and don't have to worry about [the Green Monster]. These hitters know how to hit here," Taillon said. "They know how to lift the ball. Pretty short to left. Pretty short to right. That being said, if I'm putting guys on the ground, that shouldn't matter. We'll see. Me versus them."

The Red Sox have already come to know Sale's intensity.

"I think even in some of the functions we had in Spring Training, he's not looking to do things to kill time," said Red Sox manager John Farrell. "There's a purpose to everything he does, and it has shown up and reared its head in other ways."

The Red Sox already had a healthy dose of respect for Sale's lethal arsenal when they would face him. Now, they look forward to that being someone else's problem.

"His strikeout to walk ratio just tells you that there is such above average strike-throwing ability with premium stuff, three quality pitches, a competitive spirit that's very evident," said Farrell. "From the first phone call with Chris when we acquired him, the way he spoke about the opportunity here, I know [Wednesday] is a day he's certainly looking forward to as well."

For Sale, the journey into Red Sox Nation is finally ready to start.

Three things to know about this game
• Expect to see shortstop Jordy Mercer batting leadoff for the Pirates, as he often did last year against left-handers. Mercer is a career .311/.375/.480 hitter against lefties, although he has never faced Sale.

• In three career starts at Fenway, Sale is 1-1 with a 4.12 ERA. He was dominant in his most recent start in Boston, holding the Red Sox to one run over seven innings while striking out nine on June 21, 2016.

• If the Pirates have a late lead, manager Clint Hurdle will turn to Felipe Rivero, Daniel Hudson and closer Tony Watson -- in that order -- to finish the game. Meanwhile, Farrell will use the early days in the season to define roles with setup man Tyler Thornburg starting the year on the disabled list. Joe Kelly, Heath Hembree and Matt Barnes could all get chances to set up closer Craig Kimbrel.

"I love it here," said Sale. "It's been great so far. All the guys are great top to bottom, staff included. It's been a good transition."

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170403222047852/sale-making-red-sox-debut-opposite-bucs-taillon/?game_pk=490130

Bear

RED SOX LINEUP: MOOKIE BETTS LATEST VICTIM OF FLU, XANDER BOGAERTS MOVES UP

Rob Bradford

The Red Sox were able to escape any repercussions Opening Day when it came to the flu that was sweeping through the clubhouse. But they had no such luck in Game 2.
As John Farrell first revealed on the Dale, Holley & Keefe Show, Mookie Betts is the latest victim of the sickness, forcing him out of the Red Sox’ lineup for Wednesday night’s game against the Pirates.

Without Betts, Chris Young will get the start in right field against Pittsburgh starter Jameson Taillon, a right-hander. Xander Bogaerts also moves up to the No. 3 spot in the batting order.

Here is the Red Sox’ lineup with Chris Sale on the mound for the hosts:

Dustin Pedroia 2B
Andrew Benintendi LF
Xander Bogaerts SS
Hanley Ramirez DH
Mitch Moreland 1B
Chris Young RF
Jackie Bradley Jr. CF
Pablo Sandoval 3B
Sandy Leon C

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2017/04/05/red-sox-lineup-mookie-betts-latest-victim-of-flu-xander-bogaerts-moves-up/

longgame

Big game for Sale.  First start, home crowd, not an especially good hitting team to face. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on April 04, 2017, 08:09:42 AM
Big game for Sale.  First start, home crowd, not an especially good hitting team to face.

The fact that Sale says he loves it here might make him an exception to that rule that players need a year of adjustment to get used to Fenway Park and its fans.  Besides, we don't have time for that in Chris' case.  We need him badly since Price is on the shelf for who knows how long, and the team had better realize this Taillon guy is no stiff either.  Get the cobwebs out today as they take a brief rest and come out firing tomorrow.  We have to take that mindset of pedal to the metal because most teams will be aiming for us this season because of all those pundits who think we seem to be a shoe in for an AL East  Title and even a farther trip this time in the post season.  Aw we know Ted, nothing is automatic in this game of baseball and certainly it seems nothing comes easy for the Red Sox.

ipot

I predict he'll spin a gem.  Hopefully, the pen won't blow it like they almost did for Porcello.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: ipot on April 04, 2017, 12:27:13 PM
I predict he'll spin a gem.  Hopefully, the pen won't blow it like they almost did for Porcello.

Keeping my fingers crossed but I think you're right IPOT.  Let's make it 2-0 tomorrow.

markj

ipot

Sale off to great start.  All good.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

markj

Leon gets thrown out trying to make it home from second on a shallow single to right. Looked to be out by 3 or 4 hundred yards or so. Possibly hurt in the process to boot.

Can't blame Butterfield. Stop sign was up. Good throw and play at the plate, though.

markj

Sox grounding into 2 DPs so far tonight. They do loved their GIDPs.

markj

Excellent debut by Sale. 7 scoreless and just one walk right at the end.

Now our suspect BP has to hold because one run might just win this game.

Leesam01

Checking in late in the 7th inning ... looks like Sale pitched a nice game, though I missed it!

Leesam01

markj

Leesam01