Great article by Chad Finn

Started by longgame, August 10, 2022, 10:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

This article summarizes what a lot of us have said - Bloom never prepared the team for the season, his trade activity was at best neutral and somewhat baffling, comments about Sale's fragility and questions about Bloom's overall capability - subtly implied by noting that Pivetta is the best trade he made.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-red-sox/2022/08/10/chris-sale-injury-chad-finn-column/

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on August 10, 2022, 10:00:25 AM
This article summarizes what a lot of us have said - Bloom never prepared the team for the season, his trade activity was at best neutral and somewhat baffling, comments about Sale's fragility and questions about Bloom's overall capability - subtly implied by noting that Pivetta is the best trade he made.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-red-sox/2022/08/10/chris-sale-injury-chad-finn-column/

Yet Finn fails to hammer away at he owner of the team who has committed himself to make the Red Sox a small market team by refusing to spend the money needed to be a solid every year con tender.  Money you say?  Yes, absolutely!!!!!  We have to sign FA pitchers of quality or trade for them since our rotten minor league pitching coaches has failed miswrably to develop even one decent starting pitcher in almost two decades.  Darwizon????  Don't make me laugh?  Barnes?  Don't let me throw up. Bello also looks like a washout already.  We do have have Blaze, Yorke, Casas and Mayer as strong position player candidates unless Bloom screws up again and picks bums like washouts Downs, a strikeout machine, Cordero, already a three time failure who Bloom still refuses to give up on and Mata, another pitching prospect who has totally shit the bed when he is not nursing some hangnail or some other ailment.  Back up the truck and let's finally get this  garbage of a roster out of town.  And at least some of us know which one we have that we should keep.  Bloom and Henry obviously don't because they are shitty judges of talent.

MongoLikeSox

Buckley had sort of a similarly toned article in the Athletic this morning. Both of them felt incomplete.

Duran is drawing the ire of the press now. Yikes!

longgame

Henry seems to get a broad pass but he's the one that can't seem to find the right front office guys.  Seems he may want Yes men or something, I don't know.  Someone has to grab control as they're alienating lifelong fans at this point with the product they're putting out there. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on August 10, 2022, 02:58:14 PM
Henry seems to get a broad pass but he's the one that can't seem to find the right front office guys.  Seems he may want Yes men or something, I don't know.  Someone has to grab control as they're alienating lifelong fans at this point with the product they're putting out there.

Once again Ted it looks like you, Mongo and others see things in a clear light without the need of my rants.  But, holy hell, how can you long suffering Red Sox fans can take this kind of abuse from the team's ineptness, the front office incompetence and the owner's seemingly blase attitude about the whole sorry situation.  It will be 22 years on the 19th since I became a Red Sox fan and righ now I ask myself two questions.  One, what shape would I be in had I been a fan back in '78, or '86 or '99?  Two, how am I going to navigate through this living nightmare we're currently all experiencing and when will we and the team awake from this gruwsome experience???????

MongoLikeSox

Fred, I think I can speak for some of us when I say that the ownership disaster was a mess after Mr Yawkey died in '76. It included the Larroux Coup, Haywood Sullivan uncontrolled, the fiscally-anal board of directors verses Mrs Yawkey's side for a decade followed by Pat Harrington's lowball management until someone convinced them that a winning Red Sox team would sell for big bucks. How's that for a run on sentence?

They hired Duqqette and stopped taking care of Fenway, but at least Dan built up the team at the big league level and became competitive before the ownership group's selling to Henry's group for big bucks. Henry and his group hired a bunch of people, changed the culture and built on Duquette's ego-phase team.

I'm sure I missed a bunch. Point is, as bad as this is right now and with what has to be the worst GM we've sported in decades, the suffering now is nothing compared what it used to be. I mean, it used to be an AWFUL ownership situation.

elktonnick

As bad as the Haywood Sullivan years were and they were bad, the pre 67 clubs were worse.  Pinky Higgins as GM ugh!

SeaBeachFred

Elk and Mongo----all I can say after reading your missives is that I'm glad I wasn't a Red Sox fan back then.  Either I would be in a mental home or on suicide watch.  How so many of you old time Sox fans endured those miserable years escapes my alleged brain, but it seems we are having a replica of sorts from those woebegone days  right about now.  Even the Governor of New Hampshire weighed in two days ago and said that Cora should be canned for ineptitude and hinted that there was a lot more wrong with our team's leadership than that.  Wish we were all billionaires so we could buy the team and return some sanity as well as winning players and winning baseball to Boston.  And, yes, we lost again tonight.  What else is new?????

longgame

I turned 7 in 1967 so the Sox were always winners to me.  Of course it's not like they were great every year after that and there were some pretty bad teams.  Henry has been a net plus but his moves of late have been baffling.  Not sure what he wants but it doesn't seem to be a consistent winner.  I think I speak for everyone saying we're ecstatic that the Sox have won so much in the last 20 years, but it seems like a lot of squandered opportunity - get a winning season and break up the club.

longgame

Another interesting thing.  Austin Riley who has been killing us compares very favorably to Devers.  He just signed a 10 year, $212MM deal.  I'd guess the Sox start from somewhere below there which may be just low enough to piss him off.  But his top line should likely be n the range of Davis.     

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on August 11, 2022, 07:57:29 AM
Another interesting thing.  Austin Riley who has been killing us compares very favorably to Devers.  He just signed a 10 year, $212MM deal.  I'd guess the Sox start from somewhere below there which may be just low enough to piss him off.  But his top line should likely be n the range of Davis.     

Davis?

I think Riley scored a good deal for a player with 3 years left in Arbitration. Signing on with a team dedicated to winning where he's enjoyed success. He's proven that near .300 BA was not a fluke. This is one where the team and player both won out.

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on August 11, 2022, 08:23:22 AM

Davis?

I think Riley scored a good deal for a player with 3 years left in Arbitration. Signing on with a team dedicated to winning where he's enjoyed success. He's proven that near .300 BA was not a fluke. This is one where the team and player both won out.

Riley, I've been confusing people's names this week!  Called a client Kevin when his name was Jeff!

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on August 11, 2022, 09:22:01 AM

Davis?

Riley, I've been confusing people's names this week!  Called a client Kevin when his name was Jeff!

WATCH IT TED!!! yOU'RE TOO YOUNG TO START SHOWING SIGNS THAT YOU'RE TRYING TO OUTDO SEA BEACH FRED FOR GETTING NAMES SCREWED UP!!!!!!!!  Being 63 is too young to go off the rails.  Wait until you're around 75 or close to 82 like me before you start displaying that trait.  Anyway, nice to know I have company in that regard.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 11, 2022, 10:50:01 AM

Davis?

WATCH IT TED!!! yOU'RE TOO YOUNG TO START SHOWING SIGNS THAT YOU'RE TRYING TO OUTDO SEA BEACH FRED FOR GETTING NAMES SCREWED UP!!!!!!!!  Being 63 is too young to go off the rails.  Wait until you're around 75 or close to 82 like me before you start displaying that trait.  Anyway, nice to know I have company in that regard.

LOL, I think it's just a bad week! 

MongoLikeSox

Davis?

LOL - At least you can name someone's name. I just draw total blanks these days.