MLB's & MLBPA's Big Fail

Started by MongoLikeSox, August 01, 2022, 06:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

There's ab MLB broadcast that's been airing a few times per broadcast. As clever as it may be, it's an indictment of a failed system more than anything else.  The spot depicts fans at home, watching MLB Network's trade coverage and crying because their favorite layers are being traded away.

This is done in light hearted manner with maybe a bit of humor mixed in. It's making fun of the biggest flaw of professional sports. MLB's biggest flaw. The inability of leagues and players to find a way to partner in a way that will allow players to make the big $$$ they've felt they have earned and stay in their successful situations. Players. cities, and management clash and change needs to happen, sure. No problems with that.

This isn't about players getting overpaid in some folks views. To me, this is about rebuilding fan-bases so they can root for players instead of laundry. You would think the two sides would be able to come up with something instead of stitching this bad system enough to keep rolling for 5 more years. They better do it before someone else does. 

longgame

The problem is they make so much money that it's hard to make it up with other stuff.  Some time ago guys would make more money doing commercials and appearances than they did playing ball.  Now the only thing that can pay them so much money is baseball and they have one or two chances in a career to cash in. 

MongoLikeSox

Yeah, it's hardly an issue any more it seems like. A drop in the bucket. A few team or league promos and that's about it.

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on August 01, 2022, 09:46:53 AM
Yeah, it's hardly an issue any more it seems like. A drop in the bucket. A few team or league promos and that's about it.

It's interesting that the Red Sox don't seem to value any sort of team identity to their home town though.  Sort of reminds of something I heard on the radio this weekend.  They had old-timers day at Yankee Stadium but there aren't enough "old timers" who can actually play ball these days so there's no game like they used to have.  The Sox owners are lucky that they've had recent successes and can rely on guys like Big Papi to be part of the team's personality, but who will be there in the future?

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on August 01, 2022, 12:38:52 PM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on August 01, 2022, 09:46:53 AM

It's interesting that the Red Sox don't seem to value any sort of team identity to their home town though.  Sort of reminds of something I heard on the radio this weekend.  They had old-timers day at Yankee Stadium but there aren't enough "old timers" who can actually play ball these days so there's no game like they used to have.  The Sox owners are lucky that they've had recent successes and can rely on guys like Big Papi to be part of the team's personality, but who will be there in the future?

Oh, there will be Jackie Bradley, seemingly a lifer with the Sox despite being one of their worst hitters ever.  Then there is French Fry Cordero, and let's not forget Brasier, Sawamura and a host of other bums who have made Red Sox fans cringe all season.  Sorry to see Vas go; he always gave his best and was part of a WS  Title team for us in what seems like ages ago Ted.

markj

From a Globe article:

QuoteVázquez, who looked stunned, then made his way to the dugout. Another long-time teammate, Matt Barnes stopped him to say something.

Seeing a group of reporters from Boston, some he has known for seven or eight years, Vázquez stopped to take questions.

“It’s a business …” he said before a Red Sox public relations official, Carlos Villoria Benítez, tugged Vazquez down the dugout steps.

“It’s OK,” Vázquez said, but Benítez was insistent and pulled him away.

Those were his last moments in a Red Sox uniform. Presumably the Astros will treat him like an adult.

Says it all right there. Vaz was all in for the Red Sox and the front office screwed him. I understand trades happen, but the way this one went down was inexcusable. thumb_d

MongoLikeSox

That PR department is getting worse and worse by the month. Somehow they got 'Wake to say something like "he's a great outfielder" about Franchy. Now they won't let Vasquez speak? Pathetic.

No-one looked happier to me than Vasquez after his double on Sunday.

I know and understand why the fans made a fuss over Devers and Bogey and did what we could to dissuade them from trading the dual. In retrospect, I wish we had made the same fuss over Vasquez.

I always say this after a trade like this, but I hope we get him back in the off season. He really was not expensive before, but he's gonna get him a much sweeter 2-year deal, me thinks.