Main Menu

Bloom should go

Started by elktonnick, July 18, 2022, 10:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

Have a great trip, Fred! Post a couple of pics, eh? I'm envious. We're sweltering here. A week in the Cooperstown area - primo!

longgame

Sounds like fun Fred.  Safe travels!

longgame

Sea Dog 23

Bloom is almost worthless.  Sox have not had a good 1B in two years.  Mets traded for 1B Vogelbach yesterday.  HR skill, bats .260 against righties.  Bloom did check in on a AAA 1B the Mets were offering AAA Dom Smith as a low grade piece, meh.

What is crazy, Sox have a 40 man roster they can protect, then the rule 5 coming up.  They can't protect all the prospects.  Get off the schnide and trade a couple, give the fans something to nibble on.  The draft is done, get back to work

Sea Dog 23

A blurb out this morning, Fenway Sports Group is distracted by their soccer team, as aways. But this summer they are spending a lot of office time and field work helping part owner LeBron try to get a new NBA franchise awarded in Vegas.  You can't make this stuff up.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 23, 2022, 12:19:39 PM
A blurb out this morning, Fenway Sports Group is distracted by their soccer team, as aways. But this summer they are spending a lot of office time and field work helping part owner LeBron try to get a new NBA franchise awarded in Vegas.  You can't make this stuff up.

That's the same Lebron that just called Boston "racist" right?  Good prioritization of the fan base there!

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 21, 2022, 10:18:12 AM
There should be some good news for me in the coming days unless I have trouble getting there.  In about five hours I will be heading to Cooperstown via Chicago and Albany for the induction of our great champion David Ortiz into the Hall of Fame.  It will at least for a few days make me forget where our team is today and how out of sorts our front office and coaching staff, along with our players  have been this season.  Big Papi brings back mostly great memories of our teams back in his day if we can forget for a moment the end of 2011, the Bobby Valentine disaster of 2012 and Larry Lucchino's low balling of Jon Lester in the Spring of 2014 that tumbled us down from a defending champion to two last place finishes.  Then again, I guess those things happened with Papi as well which makes me think the ownership and front office were screwing up then too.  At any rate I hope when I get back on the 27th there is some improvement with our team even though I won't be holding my breath for it.   Take care guys and keep this board rolling; we have the best baseball people on it and make almost all the others look amateur in comparison.

ENJOY!!!
AND Big Papi speaks last.
GREAT ceremony.
Baseball at its best!
True love of the game.

Sea Dog 23

Alex Speier says they tried to pin Bloom down on how he will approach the trade deadline, either buyer or seller.  He said,

"We're trying to make the postseason."  Actually he could have said the same thing on Jan 1, Apr 1 or Aug 1.

elktonnick

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 26, 2022, 05:40:01 PM
Alex Speier says they tried to pin Bloom down on how he will approach the trade deadline, either buyer or seller.  He said,

"We're trying to make the postseason."  Actually he could have said the same thing on Jan 1, Apr 1 or Aug 1.

While I did not hear the broadcast, I am told that Lou Merloni did a number on Bloom. He said that Bloom has no sense of urgency.  Merloni  blasted Duran and Downs as not major league ready.  He said that Boston has only 4 major league caliber position players and apparently Verdugo is not one of them.

MongoLikeSox

So, we have the countless bad decisions ranging from all corners of personnel to pitching management to analytics being blind to the actual game on the field. Has the manager and the organization lost this team? Are we in that famous Shane Hillanbrandt mode where the ship is sinking, every man for himself?

Think about it. Time after time, our shift gets beat when the game situation is big. Our mandated high ball pitching has been getting hammered by our own division for years. They know it's coming. It's brushed under the carpet whenever someone brings it up. So you're playing for a team that cuts out your legs by faulty strategy and bad pitching management (when fully staffed) and a Manager that leaves you to the wolves AT THE RISK OF INJURY in the name of saving tomorrow's game.

So all the players have left is each other. Sort of. Not for much longer.

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 27, 2022, 07:49:35 AM
So, we have the countless bad decisions ranging from all corners of personnel to pitching management to analytics being blind to the actual game on the field. Has the manager and the organization lost this team? Are we in that famous Shane Hillanbrandt mode where the ship is sinking, every man for himself?

Think about it. Time after time, our shift gets beat when the game situation is big. Our mandated high ball pitching has been getting hammered by our own division for years. They know it's coming. It's brushed under the carpet whenever someone brings it up. So you're playing for a team that cuts out your legs by faulty strategy and bad pitching management (when fully staffed) and a Manager that leaves you to the wolves AT THE RISK OF INJURY in the name of saving tomorrow's game.

So all the players have left is each other. Sort of. Not for much longer.

I think they're in chicken and beer territory, but that team had more talent (which made their collapse more dramatic).  This was predictable. 

I'm glad you brought up the shift - I'm amazed at how teams (Toronto and TB in particular) manage to constantly hit it away from the defense but we manage to get some hard hit balls at defenders who are standing exactly in the right spot.  The bullpen strategy I guess is one of confusion - the opposing manager will never expect that he'll keep running guys like Diekman out there.

All of this - poor team construction and the inability get anything out of their remaining players, while the best players on the team remain in contract limbo - gives a predictable result.

MongoLikeSox

Chicken and beer territory? That's a strong statement. Those were nasty times. Two seasons prior to 2013 and at least 2014. I turned it all off during the 2014 season. Skipped at least 2015.

An interesting comp is the dismantling of that 2012 team. Beckett, Crawford, Pinto, Shoppach(maybe?) and Gonzolas plus cash to the Dodgers. Talk about a house cleaning on one full swoop. That was a lot of bad vibes gone in an instant.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 23, 2022, 07:20:23 AM
Bloom is almost worthless.  Sox have not had a good 1B in two years.  Mets traded for 1B Vogelbach yesterday.  HR skill, bats .260 against righties.  Bloom did check in on a AAA 1B the Mets were offering AAA Dom Smith as a low grade piece, meh.

What is crazy, Sox have a 40 man roster they can protect, then the rule 5 coming up.  They can't protect all the prospects.  Get off the schnide and trade a couple, give the fans something to nibble on.  The draft is done, get back to work

If Bloom is really going to try and trade for Dominic Smith he has to be fired before he makes such a stupid trade.  Smith, a first baseman, outfielder, has hit exactly NO home runs this season and was hitting under 200 for the Mets when they literally gave up on him.  We have enough garbage on the team right now; we don't need any more.  And Sea Dog, you are right, Bloom is worthless but will most likely get another year with the Red Sox to try and improve on his shoddy performance.  Besides John Henry is a cheap bastard and doesn't want to spend money anymore and only the Boston Press can force his hand as we all know by now that Prune Face cannot handle criticism well at all.  Maybe a verbal barrage from the Fourth Estate will finally get him off his yacht and away from his safe and start doing something to save face from what has become little more than a Shit Show from Boston.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 27, 2022, 10:06:56 AM
Chicken and beer territory? That's a strong statement. Those were nasty times. Two seasons prior to 2013 and at least 2014. I turned it all off during the 2014 season. Skipped at least 2015.

An interesting comp is the dismantling of that 2012 team. Beckett, Crawford, Pinto, Shoppach(maybe?) and Gonzolas plus cash to the Dodgers. Talk about a house cleaning on one full swoop. That was a lot of bad vibes gone in an instant.

Maybe we need to do that after this Shit Show we're seeing now and that should include not only Bloom but Cora the cheater as well.  Henry might think of selling the team as well since he seems to have lost interest in his baseball team and instead spending a hell of lot of time and money on his soccer team.

MongoLikeSox

I'm getting fairly sick of their PR machine, too. It's not quite so clever and effective as they think. Next thing they'll try to do is have home team history promotions that will include the scoreboard standings from this date in xxxx so they don't have to show the Sox at the bottom.