Orioles going nuclear?

Started by Sea Dog 23, June 13, 2022, 06:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

Rumblings this morning about Orioles' in-fighting in the Angelos family.  The son (brother?) attempting to gain control of the franchise.  He wants to move it to Nashville.  Wouldnt be as epic as Modell moving the Colts to Indy during the night.

elktonnick

Angelos ruined a once proud franchise.  He is one of sports worst owners without a doubt.  We used to regular attend games there.  Now it is largely unthinkable.  The area around the ball park is not as safe as it once was. 
Moreover the competition from the Nats is killing the Os.  Masn their joint network fired all of their longtime Orioles broadcasters with the exception of Jim Palmer in an effort to reduce costs because of the huge lawsuit Angelos  lost to the Nats  owners.

SeaBeachFred

Elk and Sea Dog, interesting take on what you two friends of mine said and perhaps a history lesson is appropriate here.  In 1983 after run of success that had lasted close to a decade, Joe Altobelli in his first year as manager of the Orioles kept the line moving started by Hank Bauer in 1966 and Earl Weaver in 1970 by leading the team to the World Series Title.  What was very interesting about that was the team had two superstars in Eddie Murray and Cal Ripken, some solid young players and a wealth of good pitching and pundits were saying the O's were the team of the present and future.  Besides those WS Titles there were numerous league titles and a host of good prospects in their system.  All I have to add is that I hope what transpired from there never happens to our team because Baltimore has become a slum of a franchise just like the city they represent.  You wonder how a franchise can descend so low and Elk hit the nail on the head.....Peter Angelos, perhaps the worst owner in baseball.  It doesn't take many bad apples to  ruin a franchise and this guy might be in a class by himself since he almost ruined it single handed.