Minor League News?

Started by MongoLikeSox, April 13, 2022, 07:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

In what seems like a rebuilding year might be coming up, this is a bio of the 20+ trades Bloom has made in his three years, and where they are. Downs, Binelas, Hamilton, German, a lot of others.  His MLB draft and international guys are still a couple years off from helping Boston, like the Greenville Drive guys, Lugo and Rafaela.

Casas should be ready this year whenever he recovers from a high ankle sprain that will sideline him for a few weeks.  Pitching wise, Brayan Bello is projecting as a good MLB talent.  Groome is still up and down, getting exposed by the Yankees AAA club last week.  Winchowski  and Kutter Crawford need more work in AAA to be more than just bull pen arms in MLB.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/boston-red-sox-have-traded-for-more-than-20-prospects-under-chaim-bloom-how-are-jeter-downs-alex-binelas-others-doing/ar-AAXXn1V?ocid=uxbndlbing

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on May 30, 2022, 10:06:59 AM
I'll put this in minor league talk as Win how ski is probably headed back to AAA this week.

Some observations I've seen on his  start on Saturday.  He pitched three innings, I think credited with 4 runs.  He was throwing 92-93 and a couple pitches reached 96.  His downfall, he has only two pitches and didn't have good control of those.  So that puts him in the bullpen at MLB level until he can develop a third pitch that is a minimum for MLB starters. I don't think he figures in the '22 Sox long term, unless they want to restock the bullpen like they've done with Kutter.
Yeah, I agree on that for the most part. Hard not to. He's a control pitcher and didn't have control. Had to have been a nerves thing, I think.
One difference so far that I've noticed after watching some woosox games is that the pitchers seem to get away with more mistakes. Not always, of course, but enough.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on June 01, 2022, 06:50:04 AM
In what seems like a rebuilding year might be coming up, this is a bio of the 20+ trades Bloom has made in his three years, and where they are. Downs, Binelas, Hamilton, German, a lot of others.  His MLB draft and international guys are still a couple years off from helping Boston, like the Greenville Drive guys, Lugo and Rafaela.

Casas should be ready this year whenever he recovers from a high ankle sprain that will sideline him for a few weeks.  Pitching wise, Brayan Bello is projecting as a good MLB talent.  Groome is still up and down, getting exposed by the Yankees AAA club last week.  Winchowski  and Kutter Crawford need more work in AAA to be more than just bull pen arms in MLB.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/boston-red-sox-have-traded-for-more-than-20-prospects-under-chaim-bloom-how-are-jeter-downs-alex-binelas-others-doing/ar-AAXXn1V?ocid=uxbndlbing
Crawford had another horrible outing.

They just promoted Walter(lefty starter) from Portland to Worcester. I think he starts tonight.

Bello's been effective and has a live arm. I saw his Worcester debut and he seemed a bit off on hitting his targets. Nothing like Winckowski the other day. I've not seen Bello pitch since. I think when he's ready, it's going to be one of those cases where it's undeniable dominance for 3-4 starts.

Casas might be two months before he's ready. He wasn't exactly raking before his ankle sprain, though I think he stopped the downwards slide. A couple-three weeks of healing and 4-6 weeks of ABs. If he rakes, he's up? Maybe?

I would like to see Duran get his big chance as a starting CF'er this year unless the sox make a serious run this month. Kike's a much improved CF'er this year than early last season, and he will likely get hot. BUT, he's not our future. Dangle him next time a contender needs a CF'er or 2B and get an arm or two.

MongoLikeSox

They had a Darwinzon Hernandez sighting yesterday. Pitched the 5th inning 14 pitches, 10 strikes and 3K's. Good for him.

These cats can come back from a knee injury in short fashion these days. Gotta like it.

MongoLikeSox

If anyone is so inclined, Mata gets his next start in Portland on his comeback from TJ surgery. My guess is tonight, but might be tomorrow. He's been lighting it up, but I keep forgetting to turn it on to see.

Also, Bloom pitched another good outing last night. His every 4th-5th game implosions are the only thing holding him back from Worcester. Might happen anyhow if Seabold is hurt. 

edit: I meant to write "Groome", not "Bloom".

MongoLikeSox

Eovaldi gave up 2 runs in 3 IP, but was at least on target with 40 strikes in 54 pitches. Hopefulle a bit less hitable when he starts next. (In NY, maybe?)

Josh Taylor had a clean inning with 1K. It'd be nice to see him do back to back clean games next week and get him back after the break.

Barnes began his rehab stint in the FCL. Not pretty. 1IP and 3-runs. What did eck say once - Yuck?

Speaking of good pitching in Portland, they've got a guy, Brian Van Belle, who had a wicked bad start in Greenville. ERA up over 8.00 after half dozen starts. He settled down some and had to move up the ladder to Portland when their pitchers started getting promoted. After 5 games in Portland, he's got his Portland ERA down to 3.21 including a 7IP, 3H, 5K , 0R outing yesterday. That followed a similar outing the week before. Since joining Portland, he's allowed 2 BB in 28 innings.

Mata, btw, had another nice outing on his TJ recovery road. 4 IP, 1H, 0R and 7K's. The big negative was 5BB in those 4 innings. Remember, this guy was one of two top prospects nearing ready to go when they both went down before last season even started needing TJ.

Sea Dog 23

I recall Mata has had two TJ's since he was drafted in 2018.  That kid has a lion's heart to keep coming back.

MongoLikeSox

Ceddanne Rafaela was hit by a pitch and was pinch-run for last night. I hope nothing is serious.

While looking for info on that, I saw that he was selected to play in the MLB Futures game. I hope he gets to play in it.

MongoLikeSox

One more bit of Minor League news - Casas has finally begun his FCL rehab assignment, going 0-1 plus 2 BB. No idea how long it will be before he gets back to AAA. I hope he catches fire quickly and definitively.

Sea Dog 23

I have a bad feeling, after reading one writer yesterday, that they will trade Shreiber at the deadline for more minor leaguers.  That was predicated on losing the WC chances in the next few weeks.  Im a suffering Sox fan, for some reason I put on Beni's jersey this week.  sigh

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 13, 2022, 08:15:25 AM
I have a bad feeling, after reading one writer yesterday, that they will trade Shreiber at the deadline for more minor leaguers.  That was predicated on losing the WC chances in the next few weeks.  Im a suffering Sox fan, for some reason I put on Beni's jersey this week.  sigh
That would be the icing on the cake, right? I mean, Schreiber is essentially a minor leaguer for us. We've got three years of control after this season. If that Blooming idiot turns us into sellers because of two weeks of iffy performances by replacements for temporary injured starting pitchers......

btw, Chris Murphy (#10 prospect) pitched a gem last night for Worcestor. 7IP, 2 hits, 2BB, 0R on 86 pitches. ERA down to 3.00 and WHIP below 1.00. 3 games in to his AAA stint and the stats look like he never left Portland. He looked as good as his box score indicated, too.

longgame

Trading out best arm in the bullpen would be idiotic.  The thing is they're not going to be out of the WC race for some time to come.  What will be interesting is if they think the WC is worth competing for.  The bigger problem is that if they finish 4th or 5th they'll likely be playing another AL East team and they simply can't beat the other teams in the division.

MongoLikeSox

More minors action. Everybody saw Groome pressed into action in worcester. 6IP - 0ER, 5H, 3BB 5K's.

Mata got 5 IP tonight. 0R, 5 Hits, 7K's. 72 pitches and 48 strikes.

Everyone saw Casas pulling out a 3for5, 1 HR, 1-2b, 2 rbi on his third rehab. He should be in worcester and hopefully hitting well when they resume after the break.

Lastly, the 1B from  last year's 11th round from Notre Dame name Niko Kavadas has hit his 8 HRs in 17 games for Greenville since his promotion a few weeks ago. All while hitting .346. Gotta like it.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 15, 2022, 09:41:45 PM
More minors action. Everybody saw Groome pressed into action in worcester. 6IP - 0ER, 5H, 3BB 5K's.

Mata got 5 IP tonight. 0R, 5 Hits, 7K's. 72 pitches and 48 strikes.

Everyone saw Casas pulling out a 3for5, 1 HR, 1-2b, 2 rbi on his third rehab. He should be in worcester and hopefully hitting well when they resume after the break.

Lastly, the 1B from  last year's 11th round from Notre Dame name Niko Kavadas has hit his 8 HRs in 17 games for Greenville since his promotion a few weeks ago. All while hitting .346. Gotta like it.

That is some really good news about some of our farm hands.  Goome finally, Mata back in impressive form, Casas ready to slug and this Kavadas kid seems to be ripping well in his classification.  All this news to round out what has turned out to be a very good day for us.  What a game we had at Yankee Stadium.  Makes you smile all over if you can rewind from all the acid and shakes in your stomach and body.

MongoLikeSox

The Woosox game is at 4:05 and features Chris Murphy starting I think his 3rd AAA game. Last week's outing was 7IP, 0R on 2H and 2BB. More control than a couple of his contemporaries, though 2-3 of them we've seen in Boston recently had great control in AAA as well.

Bello pitched 3 innings yesterday, giving up a run. don't know the "why" on just three innings. I hate to speculate anything.

Ronaldo Hernandez hit his 9th HR yesterday as his batting average seems to have climbed a fairly (and uncannily) steady from .119 on May 19th to .279 by the end of June. He's been hovering around .285-.290 since.  Big hitting and big throwing catcher, but the scouting reports are not so kind to him on overall defense. I've no idea if that's true. Seems like I see Wong every time I watch them. 

Our representative to the Futures game was Ceddanne Rafaela. He went 0-2 with 2Ks. The AL squad struck out 12 times.

No minor minor league action after today until Friday.