Main Menu

Awards

Started by longgame, November 08, 2021, 08:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

I usually don't care a lot about awards, but this one is a head scratcher.  I haven't looked into the details but someone was bemoaning that Renfroe wasn't a finalist for a GG (he shouldn't be, he's an awful fielder with a good arm - the opposite of Johnny Damon who got to everyone but was lucky to have Manny as a cut off man!), but also that for some unknown reason Joey Gallo is a finalist for Silver Slugger at DH but JDM is not.  It becomes completely bizarre when you consider his line - Gallo hit .199 and even with 38 homers only had an OPS of .808.   JDM hit .286.  An off year for sure.  (and had 22 more RBI's).  So in short, JDM hit 90 points higher and drove in 25% more runs and is not considered a better hitter than Gallo.  WTF?  Kind of moot because it should go to Alvarez or Ohtani. 

SeaBeachFred

I feel for JDM because he is getting a screw job over this type of choices for an award, but really it is secondary with me.  My concern is how we navigate this off season to get the kind of team we need to make a concerted effort to be serious players in 2022.   So  far we got this Locastro guy who didn't do much of anything this past season but has been touted of being better than that.  I already like him better than Frenchy Fry or Santana but we have a lot of work to do Ted.  We must not go into the 2022 season weaker than we were this season.  We surprised a lot of people getting to within two wins of the World Series and I believe we must  trade, spend, sign, etc what's needed to be serious contendersds next year.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on November 08, 2021, 01:42:01 PM
I feel for JDM because he is getting a screw job over this type of choices for an award, but really it is secondary with me.  My concern is how we navigate this off season to get the kind of team we need to make a concerted effort to be serious players in 2022.   So  far we got this Locastro guy who didn't do much of anything this past season but has been touted of being better than that.  I already like him better than Frenchy Fry or Santana but we have a lot of work to do Ted.  We must not go into the 2022 season weaker than we were this season.  We surprised a lot of people getting to within two wins of the World Series and I believe we must  trade, spend, sign, etc what's needed to be serious contendersds next year.

It all comes down to whether Bloom and Henry run this outfit the way it should be run or like the dollar store. 

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on November 09, 2021, 07:41:02 AM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on November 08, 2021, 01:42:01 PM

It all comes down to whether Bloom and Henry run this outfit the way it should be run or like the dollar store.

The answer to your puzzle could simply revolve around the use of light hitting Locastro.  Does he become the 4th OF, substitute for Santana running the bases like crazy?  Or is Locastro just a Worchester filler, to add depth to the AAA team?  I think how they handle Renfroe is another key, whether he becomes a platoon OF, or if they include him in a trade for a pitcher.  These threads are certainly fun for scenarios, but sadly in a couple weeks the lockdown will surely make for a long winter. 

longgame

Not surprisingly, Ohtani has won the AL MVP.  Unanimously.  I thought he had a great year by historical standards.  But I also assume he's going to be a two way player for a few more years.  So is he now going to win every year?  It's hard to say he doesn't deserve it, but did his performances in total add up?   19th best hitter, 20th best pitcher in terms of WAR but overall WAR is high, due to pitching WAR being abnormally high IMHO.