ALCS GAME # 6 - FRIDAY, OCTOBER 22, 2021 - BOSTON RED SOX @ HOUSTON ASTROS

Started by markj, October 22, 2021, 10:09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on October 23, 2021, 02:19:35 PM
Quote from: markj on October 22, 2021, 08:57:29 PM
Santana is in? Really? Is Cora intentionally trying to lose this game?

I noticed that right off markj.  Cora has his favorites; I think everyone knows that by now and if we want to see bums like Santana and Perez and Richards and Cordero gone next year Bloom has to step in and tell Cora these bums are gone and unless you want to keep them company just accept that.  Then, again. who knows what's coming.  Still markj, I always knew that it could end like this, sorry to say.

The problem was that he never had anyone else to play either.  I was thinking about this a lot and it rings even truer now.  At the trade deadline, even though the Sox had lost their big 1st place lead, they could have turned it around.  Instead they got a guy who runs hot and cold just like the team in Schwarber, who wasn't available for several weeks.  The calculation surely was not to invest too heavily.  But look at both Atlanta and Houston - they went wild.  Atlanta has a different outfield than when they started.  Houston added to their bullpen.  Sox had bullpen and mostly infield weakness and chose not address it.  Again, the calculation had to be why throw good money after bad.  But now we know that perhaps if Cora had some bats off the bench that could hit over .200, or some bullpen help other than Robles who was always playing with fire.  And then of course because they got low innings out of starters, the guys who were good in the first half were cooked.

So there are decisions to be made.  They have a great core, but they need to look at 1B, 2B, the OF in general, decide if Vazquez who can't call a game or frame pitches is the guy to go forward (hint, the Johnny Damon-armed Plawecki is not the answer).  They have a great set of starter candidates but they have to organizationally commit to playing like actual major leaguers - or pay "starters" about half as much and carry 8 4 innings guys.  But more realistically, they need a goal of getting into the 7th (can you believe that this is actually a measure of success?) with their starters.  Then they don't have to be so dependent on guys who are in the second tier of pitchers by definition as relivers. 

The good news is these things can all be addressed.  The bad news is that Bloom is likely going to do more bargain shopping to fill those needs.  We'll see.

BoSoxFanNY

By Ian Browne
HOUSTON -- "The same bats that rocketed the Red Sox through most of their postseason run went stone cold at the most inopportune time, and that is the main reason why manager Alex Cora's team was stopped two wins short of the World Series.

In Game 6 of the American League Championship Series on Friday night at Minute Maid Park, the Astros stifled Boston's dangerous bats for the third straight game, earning them the AL pennant with a 5-0 victory.

For the Red Sox, it was hard to imagine their ride through October could end so abruptly after they bashed Houston in Game 2 and again in Game 3 to take a 2-1 lead in the series.

When Xander Bogaerts hammered a two-run homer to center field in the bottom of the first inning of Game 4, Fenway Park erupted with joy and it felt like the Red Sox were going to mash their way to their second Fall Classic in four seasons.

Could anyone have imagined that after Bogaerts touched home, the Red Sox would score just one run over the final 26 innings of the ALCS?

"No," said Bogaerts. "We were rolling. One through nine, guys were just on fire. We had guys who were having historic stretches. It just felt like one through nine everyone was kind of locked in, but it just went south from there."

Momentum shifts can be sudden this time of year, and an exciting season by the Red Sox in which they exceeded pretty much every preseason prognostication is now over.

"I told them how proud I am. It's an amazing group," said Cora. "It's a group that we will always remember. Not too many teams can say that they're in the League Championship Series. We did an amazing job throughout the season. We just got beat at the end."

In a roller-coaster ride of a 2021 season, the success of the Red Sox usually depended on the productivity of the lineup. Including the postseason, Boston went 87-19 when scoring four runs or more and 10-56 when scoring fewer than four runs.

When the club was at its best, the starting nine was relentless and controlled the strike zone. The struggles came when hitters went out of the zone and at times tried to do too much.

Boston's bats smoldered from Game 2 of the AL Division Series vs. the Rays through Game 3 of the ALCS at a historic postseason rate, scoring 51 runs and belting 79 hits over a six-game span.

When Kyle Schwarber roped a second-inning grand slam in Game 3 of the ALCS, it seemed like the fun wasn't going to end any time soon for the Red Sox. They hit two slams in Game 2 and outscored the Astros 21-8 over those two victories. No team had hit three grand slams in a postseason series before, let alone in a span of two games.

"I have been in a lot of postseason games. I have never seen 10 runs scored in a couple of games in a row, right?" said Schwarber. "It's frustrating, obviously, for us because we came out so well, and we came out really well throughout the whole postseason."

Over the last three games -- what proved to be the final three games -- the drop-off was precipitous.

Cora credited the Astros -- particularly pitching coach Brent Strom and catcher Martín Maldonado -- for in-series adjustments that led to the stifling of Boston's offense.

Despite the sudden lack of offense, the Red Sox were right in Game 6 until the eighth, when Kyle Tucker essentially put away the series with a three-run homer against Adam Ottavino.

For Boston, the best chance to climb back into the game was in the top of the seventh, when they had runners at the corners with one out. With the count full on pinch-hitter Travis Shaw, Cora sent Alex Verdugo from first on the pitch. Shaw swung through the pitch from Kendall Graveman and Verdugo was tagged out on a crushing double play that left the Red Sox six outs from elimination.

"I just bet on my players," said Cora. "It was a 3-2 count. If we put the ball in play against a sinker-baller, we score one. Their catcher just came out shooting and he made a perfect throw."

Kiké Hernández, who had an amazing postseason, created some excitement for the Red Sox when he belted a triple high off the wall in left-center with two outs in the sixth. If he had just pulled it a little more, it would have been a game-tying homer.

"It was just unfortunate. Game of inches, bro, game of inches," Hernández.

Though the inches didn't go their way, the Red Sox appreciated their journey and look forward to building off it in '22.

"It didn't end the way we wanted, but it was great," said Bogaerts."

My feelings exactly!
This team exceeded expectations.
We fans had the excitement to have our team in the Postseason.
Our Sox BEAT the Yankees and the Rays!
Last 2 AL teams standing.

AND, it was a great ride while it lasted!

I plan to root for the Atlanta Braves in the World Series.

Murph

Quote from: longgame on October 24, 2021, 11:49:09 AM

I noticed that right off markj.  Cora has his favorites; I think everyone knows that by now and if we want to see bums like Santana and Perez and Richards and Cordero gone next year Bloom has to step in and tell Cora these bums are gone and unless you want to keep them company just accept that.  Then, again. who knows what's coming.  Still markj, I always knew that it could end like this, sorry to say.

The problem was that he never had anyone else to play either.  I was thinking about this a lot and it rings even truer now.  At the trade deadline, even though the Sox had lost their big 1st place lead, they could have turned it around.  Instead they got a guy who runs hot and cold just like the team in Schwarber, who wasn't available for several weeks.  The calculation surely was not to invest too heavily.  But look at both Atlanta and Houston - they went wild.  Atlanta has a different outfield than when they started.  Houston added to their bullpen.  Sox had bullpen and mostly infield weakness and chose not address it.  Again, the calculation had to be why throw good money after bad.  But now we know that perhaps if Cora had some bats off the bench that could hit over .200, or some bullpen help other than Robles who was always playing with fire.  And then of course because they got low innings out of starters, the guys who were good in the first half were cooked.

So there are decisions to be made.  They have a great core, but they need to look at 1B, 2B, the OF in general, decide if Vazquez who can't call a game or frame pitches is the guy to go forward (hint, the Johnny Damon-armed Plawecki is not the answer).  They have a great set of starter candidates but they have to organizationally commit to playing like actual major leaguers - or pay "starters" about half as much and carry 8 4 innings guys.  But more realistically, they need a goal of getting into the 7th (can you believe that this is actually a measure of success?) with their starters.  Then they don't have to be so dependent on guys who are in the second tier of pitchers by definition as relivers. 

The good news is these things can all be addressed.  The bad news is that Bloom is likely going to do more bargain shopping to fill those needs.  We'll see.

The BUMS  have shown MLB that having a team of super stars and a sky high payroll  means little.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Murph on October 25, 2021, 02:08:32 PM
Quote from: longgame on October 24, 2021, 11:49:09 AM

The BUMS  have shown MLB that having a team of super stars and a sky high payroll  means little.

Next to the Red Sox defeating the Yankees in the Wild Card Game and send them in exile for the rest of the season, my biggest thrill Murph was seeing the moneybag Dodgers sent packing as well by the Braves.  The Bums have gotten it in their alleged minds that they can just buy a title as the Yankees did for so many years back when.  But they can't and they didn't and that made me very very happy.  Hope all is well Murph.

elktonnick

Fred one of the more delightful aspects of the Dodgers loss was that Dodger upper management once again made a mess by their micromanagement.  Moreover the Boston Braves were my favorite team before they left Boston.  My first MLB game was Braves Brooklyn 69 years ago.  Go Braves.