ALCS GAME # 5 - WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 20, 2021 - HOUSTON ASTROS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, October 20, 2021, 08:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Have to remember that this is all bonus baseball for this team.  I had said I would be happy with however far they got and that winning the Wild Card over the Yankees was enough.  Winning against the Rays was icing on the cake.  This would be really be something if they were to make an epic comeback.  But it still hurts to watch them go down like this.

Hot and cold has been the theme all year.  No they're cold again.   They'll need to make some adjustments, specifically moving Dablec to 1B, Schwarber to LF to get Renfroe out.  He's actually hurting the team now. He misplayed the ball over his head two nights ago and two DPs in two games, especially when you come up after the heart of the order, is brutal.  Too bad because he had such a great year but is disappearing now.  I just don't know what you can do about our bullpen, the walks, etc. 

Valdez was a different guy last night than Game 1, but it also seemed the Sox were far less patient and were letting him off the hook easily.  Not sure what happened there. 

MongoLikeSox

Last night was a pitcher dialing up a performance and out guys getting antsy.

Schwarber's been cold all series. He's been looking yard early and often. His last AB looked better. I hope that sets the tone.

Note to Vaz - do not call for that medium high, out 3rd fastball to Alvarez. I mean, 3 times?

Bonus Baseball is a good thing, but it still tees me off when we can't catch a ball at 1B. This was the team I was most scared of. They are doing it by deploying an "old school" AL East Offense that the rest of baseball thinks is extinct, or at least wrong. I hope beyond hope that Bloom is seeing this and not notching it off to bad joo joo or something.

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: longgame on October 21, 2021, 07:54:55 AM
Have to remember that this is all bonus baseball for this team.  I had said I would be happy with however far they got and that winning the Wild Card over the Yankees was enough.  Winning against the Rays was icing on the cake.  This would be really be something if they were to make an epic comeback.  But it still hurts to watch them go down like this.

Hot and cold has been the theme all year.  No they're cold again.   They'll need to make some adjustments, specifically moving Dablec to 1B, Schwarber to LF to get Renfroe out.  He's actually hurting the team now. He misplayed the ball over his head two nights ago and two DPs in two games, especially when you come up after the heart of the order, is brutal.  Too bad because he had such a great year but is disappearing now.  I just don't know what you can do about our bullpen, the walks, etc. 

Valdez was a different guy last night than Game 1, but it also seemed the Sox were far less patient and were letting him off the hook easily.  Not sure what happened there.

So very true!
I remember just wanting to win the Wild Card - check!
Beating the Yankees - check!
Beating the Tampa Bay Rays with the best record in the AL during the regular season - check.
Definitely bonus baseball!

(Although it would be nice AND a surprise to go to the World Series.)

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on October 20, 2021, 07:24:50 PM
Perez again. Cora has either thrown in the towel on this game and is saving his BP arms, or he is a complete moron.

Perez is one of Cora's favorites and he will move Heaven and Earth to give that bum a chance to shine.  He'll be the saddest guy in Boston if Bloom releases him after the season---which he sure as hell better do because the guy stinks to high heaven.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on October 20, 2021, 10:51:30 PM
Just a few days ago it seemed like the Sox were peaking at just the right time.
Pitching, offense, defense - so much fun to watch.  It seemed like we were watching
the Red Sox team from the first half of the season.

AND then, yesterday, October 19 - the light switch turned off.

WTF???????

BEFORE this playoffs - I was glad that the Red Sox secured the Wild Card
spot with a win against the Yankees.
I thought the Rays and Astros were the better teams.
Then, Our Sox BEAT the Rays.
Games 2 and 3 with the Grand Slams and offense was so much
fun to watch.
AND now . . .

JUST when I thought this team just might go to the World Series
and win it all.
Yesterday and today the air has been let out of the tires.

I am stunned . . . just stunned by this turn of events.

Let's see what happens in Houston.
Hopefully the Sox can find their bats.

You shouldn't be stunned at all.  This has been the Red Sox MOA all season.  It gets hot and then goes into the deep freeze.  We are done!!!!!

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on October 21, 2021, 08:53:53 AM
Last night was a pitcher dialing up a performance and out guys getting antsy.

Schwarber's been cold all series. He's been looking yard early and often. His last AB looked better. I hope that sets the tone.

Note to Vaz - do not call for that medium high, out 3rd fastball to Alvarez. I mean, 3 times?

Bonus Baseball is a good thing, but it still tees me off when we can't catch a ball at 1B. This was the team I was most scared of. They are doing it by deploying an "old school" AL East Offense that the rest of baseball thinks is extinct, or at least wrong. I hope beyond hope that Bloom is seeing this and not notching it off to bad joo joo or something.

A heads-up to you Mongo.  First of all, Vazquez calls a shitty game and has for years.   We are better off with Plawecki behind the plate....when we are hitting which now we are not.  Secondly, the Schwarb is notoriously streaky and right now he is stinky.  There is nothing we can do except get our second breath and get a second win when we get to Houston, but pardon me is I do not hold mine.

Sea Dog 23

I saw today that P Phillips Valdez ha been activated off the Covid list and will join the Sc for game 6.  I that’s accurate, one of he other Sox must be sent packing.  My guess, they Perez guy just discovered an undescibed injury. sigh sigh

markj

I'll take Valdez over Perez any day. But they could have Cy Young in the BP and it won't make a difference if they don't get back to scoring runs.

MongoLikeSox

Did you see who they DFA'd to activate Valdez for the 40-man spot?  Franchy Cordero! Wow! I don't know where to begin, so I'll just leave it alone and wish him luck no matter if he doesn't clear, elects to go buh-bye or accepts a minor league assignment. They mismanaged him from the beginning. It was a level of cruelty.

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on October 22, 2021, 08:43:42 AM
Did you see who they DFA'd to activate Valdez for the 40-man spot?  Franchy Cordero! Wow! I don't know where to begin, so I'll just leave it alone and wish him luck no matter if he doesn't clear, elects to go buh-bye or accepts a minor league assignment. They mismanaged him from the beginning. It was a level of cruelty.

Having to watch Franchy play was a level of cruelty!

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on October 22, 2021, 12:17:49 PM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on October 22, 2021, 08:43:42 AM

Having to watch Franchy play was a level of cruelty!

French Fry Cordero was actually mentioned by Bloom and others as a possible second coming of a Big Papi.  I nearly choked when I heard that last winter since I knew the guy stunk after failing with the Padres and Royals and us.  He was DFA'd yesterday but you can bet that no other team will claim him or touch him with a twenty foot pole so we may have to stomach this bum once again.