5. Lourdes Gurriel Jr. (R) LF
6. Jonathan Villar (S) 2B
7. Joe Panik (L) 3B
8. Danny Jansen (R) C
9. Santiago Espinal (R) SS

Gametime Temp: 77°F
Chance of Precip: 2%

longgame

As someone said, two nights ago Osuna hit 3 HRs.  Last night it was Adam Duvall.  Tonight Rowdy Tellez comes to town....

elktonnick

The more I see of Chavis the less I like him.  Moreover, RR made another idiotic move by not walking Hernandez in the 10th.  They may not have the players this year but it is obvious they don't have a competent manager either.  If you asked 100 knowledgeable baseball fans 99 would have walked him in that situation.

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on September 03, 2020, 10:12:17 PM
The more I see of Chavis the less I like him.  Moreover, RR made another idiotic move by not walking Hernandez in the 10th.  They may not have the players this year but it is obvious they don't have a competent manager either.  If you asked 100 knowledgeable baseball fans 99 would have walked him in that situation.

So true.  Chavis just isn't very good, although likeable.  He's got the same problem most young players have - hitting breaking stuff - but he simply hacks every time up there.  Dalbec seems to have the same problem but he's got time to figure it out. 

RR not walking Hernandez was ridiculous.  The announcers thought so too.  Just awful.

The real shame was that after Perez pitched so well, you were sure that there was no way the bullpen could hold a one run lead.

What's really amazing is this - the Sox were tied for first place two weeks after the traditional all star break and are now 14 games out of first.  That's 2 games a week!  It's actually hard to play this badly.

Bill-806

Another BLOWN OPPORTUNITY,  "LIKE SAND THRU THE HOUR GLASS, SO ARE THE DAYS OF OUR RED SOX" !!!! sigh sigh sigh sigh sigh iono iono iono iono iono iono thumb_d thumb_d thumb_d thumb_d

BoSoxFanNY

Accidentally posted on another thread:

Red Sox went from Perez throwing a no hitter
thru the first 6 innings to LOSING in extra inning 6 - 2.
Valdez has allowed 4 runs in his one inning of work in the 10th inning.  UGH!!!!!!

Sox LEFT 12 men on base.
WERE winning 2 - 0
and end up losing 6 -2 in the 10th inning.

DANG IT!
How many different ways can they lose?

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on September 04, 2020, 12:03:25 PM

Valdez has allowed 4 runs in his one inning of work in the 10th inning.  UGH!!!!!!

Sox LEFT 12 men on base.
WERE winning 2 - 0

DANG IT!

Oh, they'll find more ways to blow games and if they don't their half-ass manager will more lthan step in and do the job.  I shut the TV off as soon as Bogaerts once again did NOT get the big hit a la Papi, Mookie and the old JDM.  And one thing is certain to me.  If get into extra innings we are toast.  Any guy they put on second is going to score.  I knew that when I shut off the game.  This is really a totally shitty team.

elktonnick

Fred this is a real bad team with an exceptionally bad manager.  I will be surprised if RR returns next year.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on September 04, 2020, 02:11:26 PM
Fred this is a real bad team with an exceptionally bad manager.  I will be surprised if RR returns next year.

I wouldn't bet on that Elk  He is cheap and inexpensive and would sign for whatever they offer him since his reputation as a skipper is in the toilet.  An we also know that Prune Face is still on his economy kick and can make excuses that 2020 was not indicative of what a real Red Sox team could do in a regular full season.  He forgets how inept they were in 2019 when they could only finish six games above 500.  But I hope you are right though.  We both coached for years my friend and perhaps some o thers might not know it as well as we do since they may not have mentored teams......but RR is a piss excuse for a manager, always behind the curve and always late and two bucks short.  It's like having four pound of shit crammed into a one pound bag.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on September 04, 2020, 12:03:25 PM

Sox LEFT 12 men on base.
WERE winning 2 - 0

DANG IT!

Looking at Thurs game above, it was a redux of sorts Friday night. In the 2-3-4 Devers, Bogey, JDM go 0- 11 and 12 LOB.  Simply pathetic.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 04, 2020, 06:46:50 PM

I wouldn't bet on that Elk  He is cheap and inexpensive and would sign for whatever they offer him since his reputation as a skipper is in the toilet.  An we also know that Prune Face is still on his economy kick and can make excuses that 2020 was not indicative of what a real Red Sox team could do in a regular full season.  He forgets how inept they were in 2019 when they could only finish six games above 500.  But I hope you are right though.  We both coached for years my friend and perhaps some o thers might not know it as well as we do since they may not have mentored teams......but RR is a piss excuse for a manager, always behind the curve and always late and two bucks short.  It's like having four pound of shit crammed into a one pound bag.

Elk couldn't have summed it up better. 

The difference on paying the manager vs the players, Fred, is the lux tax.  He won't be as cheap on a manager, but I just can't see RR staying on at any price.  He makes bad moves nightly and got bailed out after Leyer loaded the bases.  I'm sure if the second game had 2 more innings we would have lost between the pen and RR's handling of it.

I think Cora comes back.  All of the Astros are playing.  Cora was part of that scheme but didn't bring it to the Sox.  Cora looks great right about now.

One of the things that really strikes me is that from the game announcers to NESN studio announcers they are critical of pretty much everything happening right now, pitch to pitch, whether in the field, running (or not running the bases), on the mound, at the plate and in the dugout.  It's pretty much professional malpractice at this point.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on September 05, 2020, 10:33:36 AM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 04, 2020, 06:46:50 PM

Elk couldn't have summed it up better. 

The difference on paying the manager vs the players, Fred, is the lux tax.  He won't be as cheap on a manager, but I just can't see RR staying on at any price.  He makes bad moves nightly and got bailed out after Leyer loaded the bases.  I'm sure if the second game had 2 more innings we would have lost between the pen and RR's handling of it.

I think Cora comes back.  All of the Astros are playing.  Cora was part of that scheme but didn't bring it to the Sox.  Cora looks great right about now.

One of the things that really strikes me is that from the game announcers to NESN studio announcers they are critical of pretty much everything happening right now, pitch to pitch, whether in the field, running (or not running the bases), on the mound, at the plate and in the dugout.  It's pretty much professional malpractice at this point.

Thanks Ted (again) for differentiating between a manager and player when it comes to the LT, but at least we can al agree that Roenicke has to go no matter what.  If he stays it tells us all we need to know about John Henry in the common sense department.  My gripe against Cora was not his managing; it was hit piss poor handling of Spring Training in 2019.  He, like John Farrell in ST, 2014, went at it too casually without much conern for being ready when the bell sounded.  In both cases we weren't ready and played like it .

longgame

I agree Fred on Cora's handling of ST and hopefully he learned from that.  At the same time I think he's a good player development guy - look at Devers, a guy who has regressed this year.  With the young players coming up, someone like Cora could be key to the next few years.  Whoever it is, I am hopeful they can develop into a long term manager.  Consistency will help.  But I can't imagine anyone is yearning for Roenicke to come back.  To have a bad team and a bad manager both is pretty painful. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on September 07, 2020, 10:51:28 AM
I agree Fred on Cora's handling of ST and hopefully he learned from that.  At the same time I think he's a good player development guy - look at Devers, a guy who has regressed this year.  With the young players coming up, someone like Cora could be key to the next few years.  Whoever it is, I am hopeful they can develop into a long term manager.  Consistency will help.  But I can't imagine anyone is yearning for Roenicke to come back.  To have a bad team and a bad manager both is pretty painful.

Well one piece of good news Ted.....WE CANNOT LOSE TODAY!!!!!!!