GAME #90, NEW YORK YANKEES AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, July 12, 2017, 07:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

YANKEES V RED SOX

FRIDAY, JULY 14, 2017, 7 PM AT FENWAY PARK

TV:  NESN, MLBN, (OUT-OF-MARKET ONLY), YES

NEW YORK, ( 45-41).................................................................................BOSTON, (50-39)

NEW YORK:

JORDAN MONTGOMERY, LHP, 604, 3.55 ERA, 87K

Montgomery opens the second half for the Yankees after largely
impressing in his first career Major League action.  The rookie is 6-4
with a 3.65 ERA through sixteen starts--but this will be his time pitching
against the archrival Red Sox.

BOSTON:

DREW POMERANZ, LHP, 9-4, 3.60 ERA, 98K

The lefty brings momentum into the second half.  Pomeranz is 3-0 with a
1.82 era in his last five starts.  Pomeranz is 2-1 with a 2.40 era in six career
appearances against the Yankees.

Yanks, Red Sox start 2nd half with 4-game set

Ian Browne

There is no easing back from the All-Star break for the participants of baseball's most storied rivalry.

The American League East-leading Red Sox host the second-place Yankees for four games in three days beginning on Friday night at Fenway Park, which will surely be rocking from all corners.

"You get into the second half, particularly when you're in the division, and there may be some added weight that goes to wins and losses as remaining games as the number of remaining games continue to dwindle," Red Sox manager John Farrell said.

"I like the way we set up coming out of the break, the way our pitchers are throwing. It's always a great series when we go up against New York. We're going up against a couple of pitchers in there that are throwing the ball well. We've just got to come out and continue to play good baseball."

For the Yankees, this is the start of an 11-game road trip that starts East (Boston), continues Central (Minnesota) and finishes West (Seattle).

"It's a really significant trip for us because we have to start playing better," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "It's an important road trip, but it's not the-end-of-the-world road trip. We still have 60 or so games left after that road trip, but it's important."

New York, led by breakout rookie Aaron Judge, spent much of the first half leading the AL East. But the Red Sox have held the top spot in the division since June 30.

"Every series is crucial, but especially playing the Red Sox," Judge said. "They're in first place right now, so it's going to be big for us."

"Even a month ago, you look at what a strong one or two weeks is going to do with the standings -- it can turn them upside-down," Farrell said. "We've made up quite a bit of ground in the last three weeks. No one is overlooking anyone. No one is overestimating their place today. More importantly, we've just got to continue to work and stay focused on the task at hand and that's what we've got to do today."

The series gives the Yankees an immediate chance to close the gap against a team they've played some of their best baseball against this season. The Bombers have had an upper hand in the rivalry so far, taking four of the first five games.
Judge brings 30 homers with him to Fenway, an amazing feat for half of a season.

"Obviously he has the size and power," said Red Sox setup man Joe Kelly, who struck Judge out on a 102.2-mph fastball on June 6. "He's a big human being, you can tell from facing him last year to facing him to this year, he put a lot of work into the offseason of trying to minimize moving parts. When you're that big, there's so many fine movements. He did a great job of trying to simplify it. He knows he's a strong guy."

The Fenway faithful should get its first look at another of the Baby Bombers, as Clint Frazier was called up on July 1, and hit a walk-off homer at Yankee Stadium on July 8. The Red Sox are also led by several homegrown stars, including Mookie Betts, Xander Bogaerts and veteran leader Dustin Pedroia.

Drew Pomeranz draws the assignment for the Red Sox in Friday night's opener. Ace Chris Sale takes the ball on Saturday.

Rick Porcello and David Price get the assignments in Sunday's day-night doubleheader. The Yankees have yet to reveal their rotation plans for after the break.

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• The Yankees expect to get Matt Holliday back for this series. The veteran had been sidelined with a viral infection. Second baseman Starlin Castro could return at some point at Fenway as well. He had a right hamstring strain.

• One thing that surely endears Pomeranz to Red Sox fans is his track record of success against the Yankees. In six career appearances against the Yankees (five starts), Pomeranz is 2-1 with a 2.40 ERA. Pomeranz has pitched well against everyone lately, going 3-0 with a 1.82 ERA in his last five starts.

• Judge is slashing .333/.478/.556 against the Red Sox this season with a homer. Red Sox center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr. has had a tough time against the Yankees so far this season, going 1-for-16.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170709241320010/yanks-red-sox-start-2nd-half-with-4-game-set/?game_pk=491441

Bear

RED SOX (50-39)

Mookie Betts, RF
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Xander Bogaerts, SS
Hanley Ramirez, DH
Chris Young, LF
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
Sam Travis, 1B
Christian Vázquez, C
Deven Marrero, 3B

Drew Pomeranz, LHP (9-4, 3.60 ERA)

YANKEES (45-41)

Brett Gardner, LF
Gary Sanchez, C
Aaron Judge, RF
Matt Holliday, DH
Didi Gregorius, SS
Garrett Cooper, 1B
Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
Chase Headley, 3B
Ronald Torreyes, 2B

Jordan Montgomery, LHP (6-4, 3.65 ERA)

http://nesn.com/2017/07/red-sox-vs-yankees-lineup-chris-young-sam-travis-start-first-game-of-second-half/

Bill-806

A great series to start the 2nd half !!!  Our  R S  All Stars showed well last night !!!  Go SOX, lets get HOT right out of the gate !! thumb_u rofl

ipot

Let's start off on a good roll.  Seize on the reeling Yankees and stay in the driver's seat.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Rob from Mass

Quote from: ipot on July 12, 2017, 02:39:46 PM
Let's start off on a good roll.  Seize on the reeling Yankees and stay in the driver's seat.

3 of 4 would be great but minimum 2-2 is a must IMO. I rarely use the must word before September but this is the Yankees we are talking about.  Sitting up by 2 on the Yanks and 4 on the Rays who scare me far more than the Yanks.I would think Judge will come down to earth a bit but I am really impressed by the 25-year-old who appears to have it all in his swing.

Sea Dog 23

Maybe I'm blind, but who in that big write up is pitching for NY?

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 12, 2017, 05:21:48 PM

Girardi can say what he wants but this series  is just as important to his team as it is to the Red Sox.  I don't know how his players stack up in the courage and guts department, but I have moaned loudly all season about our lack of leadership, lack of courage and my questioning the team's heart guts and balls.  I'm tired of demanding that our guys step up because they haven't heard me or anyone else shouting the same thing. I just hope that this time they find the courage and guts to go out there and take it hard to the Yanks.  We need a big series win, though I wish Sale was starting Game 1 for us.

Bill-806

OK, it is Thursday... Lets get to Friday and get the 2nd half underway !!! thumb_u rofl

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 12, 2017, 05:21:48 PM

They still haven't said.  Listed as TBD as of this AM on MLB.

longgame

Quote from: Rob from Mass on July 12, 2017, 02:48:15 PM

3 of 4 would be great but minimum 2-2 is a must IMO. I rarely use the must word before September but this is the Yankees we are talking about.  Sitting up by 2 on the Yanks and 4 on the Rays who scare me far more than the Yanks.I would think Judge will come down to earth a bit but I am really impressed by the 25-year-old who appears to have it all in his swing.

Definitely need to win at least 2, but being at home they need to win 3.  The Yankees are a couple of good young players, some hit or miss pitching and Chapman.  The key to the Sox is getting ahead early and staying there.  They won't win a lot of games when they score 1 or 2. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on July 13, 2017, 08:08:51 AM

Definitely need to win at least 2, but being at home they need to win 3.  The Yankees are a couple of good young players, some hit or miss pitching and Chapman.  The key to the Sox is getting ahead early and staying there.  They won't win a lot of games when they score 1 or 2.

Wel since Farrell is stubborn enough to pitch that shit Fister in one of the games you can write that contest off and put it in the "L" column.  Since that game is lost we will most likely win two if all goes well.  If we lose three of the four or get swept we ought to become sellers at the TD because our team will have proven to be the gutless, leaderless, rudderless pack of bums I have always suspected them to be.  This is a big test of the Red Sox and for Farrell.  Fister must NOT start one of those games......Rodriguez should start since he has a record of success against the Yankees while Fister has loser written all over his worthless face.

Schloicka

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 13, 2017, 09:33:33 AM

Wel since Farrell is stubborn enough to pitch that shit Fister in one of the games you can write that contest off and put it in the "L" column.  Since that game is lost we will most likely win two if all goes well.  If we lose three of the four or get swept we ought to become sellers at the TD because our team will have proven to be the gutless, leaderless, rudderless pack of bums I have always suspected them to be.  This is a big test of the Red Sox and for Farrell.  Fister must NOT start one of those games......Rodriguez should start since he has a record of success against the Yankees while Fister has loser written all over his worthless face.

Fister isn't even listed as a possible starter for the Yankee series. You have Pomerantz, Sale. Porcello & Price lined up for the series with E-Rod expected to start the first game of the following series. If Fister starts it will only be because someone else can't go. Fister will probably start the 2nd game of the 2nd series since the Sox will need an extra starter because of the double header against the Yankees on Sunday.

Bill-806

Quote from: Schloicka on July 13, 2017, 11:25:59 AM

Fister isn't even listed as a possible starter for the Yankee series. You have Pomerantz, Sale. Porcello & Price lined up for the series with E-Rod expected to start the first game of the following series. If Fister starts it will only be because someone else can't go. Fister will probably start the 2nd game of the 2nd series since the Sox will need an extra starter because of the double header against the Yankees on Sunday.
I would like to see Fisters sinker ball in the B P as long as his arm can handel the work !!! thumb_u thumb_u

longgame

Plus didn't he pitch out of the pen in the TB series?  I think he's an emergency guy, but they will have to get 6 starters in 5 days and no days off for two weeks.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on July 13, 2017, 11:25:59 AM

That's a good piece of news to hear.  I read somewhere that Fister was scheduled to start one of the games of th double-header on Sunday.  Well, as I said that is good news.....if it is not fake news because it gives us a decent chance to make some hay in this series if the team can go out and play the the kind of good baseball most of us expect of them.  Four at home against the Yanks is not an automatic nod for us but we should have some advantage if we can take it to our best level.