GAME #82, BOSTON RED SOX AT TORONTO BLUE JAYS

Started by Bear, July 02, 2017, 02:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill-806

Quote from: Rob from Mass on July 02, 2017, 04:40:04 PM
After 82 games last year they were 45-37.
47 -35 this year.

With out  BIG PAPI,  J F is a genius !!!   thumb_u rofl

markj

Quote from: Bill-806 on July 02, 2017, 06:09:39 PM
47 -35 this year.

If I recall correctly, Papi was much more effective after the ASB last year. Didn't he have a pretty crappy spring?

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on July 02, 2017, 01:26:12 PM
Mookie!!! And well done to Lin and Marrero with those bunts.

That was winning type baseball that inning markj.  And for the last few games Mookie has gone into action in a big way.  He was just floating along for a long while and now he seems like the catalyst he is supposed to me.  He looked like hell last weekend against the Angels but he seems to have picked things up the past two series and the team seems to be following suit.  That is what we need----and keep it up for the rest of the trip.  Hanley too....maybe is mending enough to become a stalwart in our lineup, and, needles to say, we need him too.....and at DH.  Let's not get any ideas of putting him on first and risk another injury.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on July 02, 2017, 03:20:29 PM
While the team is playing extremely well right now, one has to be particularly impressed by Morrero.  His defense has always been solid but he has been tearing the cover off the ball at the plate the last few days.

That is a complete turnaround and a total surprise.....a very pleasant one.  Maybe a few hits has jacked up his confidence and he can keep contributing on the offensive side of the ball.  You just never know in this game.  Surprises come from all sides.....this one a pleasant one.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: markj on July 02, 2017, 06:40:57 PM
Quote from: Bill-806 on July 02, 2017, 06:09:39 PM
47 -35 this year.

If I recall correctly, Papi was much more effective after the ASB last year. Didn't he have a pretty crappy spring?
Papi had a season for the ages beginning to end. I just looked at the game log on baseball reference. He "slumped" mid April, BA down to .269 4/22, but climbed to .313 a week later and never looked back.

I didn't look up team splits or anything, but JF's bullpen was losing a game a week it seemed like, not matter what he tried. His young team got wound up like a top and didn't it together until Pedey went to lead off. By then, JBJ and Budding Super-Star were toast and brought Leon with them. The one super maddening thing is similar to this year. Sweeping a series was something it seemed like they were loathe to do. Getaway BA must have been under the Marrero Line. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 02, 2017, 03:49:26 PM
I dread Sox trips to play the Rangers in Texas. Seems like it rarely goes will, but I don't have the numbers. Too scary.   ;D

Be that as it may MLS, we have to go there and we have to play the Rangers in their home digs, and we have to do the job of keeping up the good work of the past seven games.  Tomorrow could be a challenge because, let's face it, Porcello hasn't pitched worth a damn save for the Angel game in his last six or seven starts.  A great showing from him tomorrow and a continuation of our improved hitting can help keep this trip a good one.  We finally got into first place with a drop or two to spare and it would be a very good idea not to let is all slip away with slipshod play.  Just go our there and do what needs to be done.

ipot

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 02, 2017, 08:11:08 PM
Quote from: markj on July 02, 2017, 01:26:12 PM
Mookie!!! And well done to Lin and Marrero with those bunts.

That was winning type baseball that inning markj.  And for the last few games Mookie has gone into action in a big way.  He was just floating along for a long while and now he seems like the catalyst he is supposed to me.  He looked like hell last weekend against the Angels but he seems to have picked things up the past two series and the team seems to be following suit.  That is what we need----and keep it up for the rest of the trip.  Hanley too....maybe is mending enough to become a stalwart in our lineup, and, needles to say, we need him too.....and at DH.  Let's not get any ideas of putting him on first and risk another injury.

Yup.  Mookie is finally coming around to 2016 form which is a BIG deal.  If both he and Hanley pick up the pace finally, we have the threats that we need from this offense.  Not to mention JBJ has picked up the pace. These are the guys we need for the big hits.  Let's keep it rolling.  No way would they be dumb enough to put Hanley on 1B.  Moreland is more than fine there.  If Marrero keeps hitting it like he does - indeed, would be the nicest surprise. 
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

markj

Hanley was predicting a July run of wins. Let's hope he's right.

Rob from Mass

Lets  not all get to to overboard with EXCITEMENT.As well as they played recently we SHOULD understand  that BAD PLAY we also be in the mix.
There is nothing in Marrero's resume to feel he will continue to hit but he was a key the last few games.

Bill-806

Quote from: Rob from Mass on July 03, 2017, 07:18:03 AM
Lets  not all get to to overboard with EXCITEMENT.As well as they played recently we SHOULD understand  that BAD PLAY we also be in the mix.
There is nothing in Marrero's resume to feel he will continue to hit but he was a key the last few games.
  B I N G O  Dat !!!!

SeaBeachFred

Rob, you're absolutely right on that score.  This team has proven that it can rise up and slow down with the best of them.  In fact, until the last full week this team was running in place with too many players going south with the bat, glove and their brains with stupid all around play.  These last two series have been needed badly but the rest of this road trip still has to be played before you, I or anyone else should start thumping their chests.  We've seen this team go into the tank before, many many times.  One good point is that we played better in the last two series that we have all season so maybe at last the best of the Red Sox is beginning to show up and making their presence felt.  But right now the jury must still be out.

longgame

Quote from: Schloicka on July 02, 2017, 05:36:52 PM
And by a strange rule ABAD got credit for a SAVE for pitching 3 innings and not giving up the lead. Guess it was a better game than I thought. Take a save any way you can get it.

I was just reading about that rule the other day.  It used to be automatic if you went 3 and finished and didn't give up the lead, but now the pitcher has to pitch well enough and the scorer is allowed some discretion - i.e. if he gave up a bunch of runs he may not get the save.

longgame

It's also one thing to beat Toronto who has been stinking it up.  The Rangers aren't great but you never know there.  I've got my eye on the visit to Tampa just before the ASB.