GAME #59, BOSTON RED SOX AT NEW YORK YANKEES

Started by Bear, June 08, 2017, 12:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

Panda K's looking with bases loaded to end the game. Beautiful.

ipot

Price stunk tonight but somehow I feel he'll find his groove (call me an optimist on this one 8))

The REAL problem - and I'll say it again - is this shitcan offense that mustered up only 4 flippin' hits!  And I predicted 5 Ha!  Your starting pitcher can give up 2, 3, 4...18 runs but you ain't going anywhere with 4 and 5 hits a night.  We should have been swept if Tanaka didn't give up 3 HRs on 5 hits.  That's how pathetic this offense is.

Something about this NYY team reminds of the 2013 Sox.  Not expected to do much this season, and they are coasting along with a lot of pep and no bona fide marquee names.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Schloicka

Quote from: markj on June 08, 2017, 09:36:38 PM
Panda K's looking with bases loaded to end the game. Beautiful.

At least it didn't matter since the game was already over.

Schloicka

Quote from: ipot on June 08, 2017, 10:04:39 PM
Price stunk tonight but somehow I feel he'll find his groove (call me an optimist on this one 8))

The REAL problem - and I'll say it again - is this shitcan offense that mustered up only 4 flippin' hits!  And I predicted 5 Ha!  Your starting pitcher can give up 2, 3, 4...18 runs but you ain't going anywhere with 4 and 5 hits a night.  We should have been swept if Tanaka didn't give up 3 HRs on 5 hits.  That's how pathetic this offense is.

Something about this NYY team reminds of the 2013 Sox.  Not expected to do much this season, and they are coasting along with a lot of pep and no bona fide marquee names.

Bad when you get 2 hits and a walk in the 1st inning and get nothing out of it. The only run scored on a passed ball. Yanks have a lot of guys who can hit the ball out of the park. A lot of threats in the lineup. The Sox have really nobody who'd I consider a threat.

BoSoxFanNY

Unfortunately, the Yankees are the better team right now.
They have pitching AND hitting.

Not happy with David Price . . .

(STILL wish that they had offered his deal to Jon Lester!)

ipot

Quote from: Schloicka on June 08, 2017, 10:12:41 PM
Quote from: ipot on June 08, 2017, 10:04:39 PM

Bad when you get 2 hits and a walk in the 1st inning and get nothing out of it. The only run scored on a passed ball. Yanks have a lot of guys who can hit the ball out of the park. A lot of threats in the lineup. The Sox have really nobody who'd I consider a threat.

Nope.  Not right now.  I thought Hanley would come around but he's just not getting it done.  Betts may well have had that anomaly year like Ellsbury with 30 HRs last year.  He may just be good for about 20 a year.   Bradley definitely has the power but goes hot/cold.  So, yep, we are missing any real threat.  And not enough even to drive in the RBIs.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Muggah

Bottom line is the Yankees not only wanted this series more than we did, but they're a better team right now. Plain and simple.

The 800 lb. gorilla in the room at the conclusion of 2016 was that Farrell couldn't get this team to rise to the occasion when the bright spotlights went on against Tito's Tribe in the playoffs. It is still glaringly obvious that Farrell does not and cannot get his team's attention for big games.
Bosox Board: The Exclusive Home of Muggah

Bill-806

Quote from: Muggah on June 09, 2017, 06:14:44 AM
Bottom line is the Yankees not only wanted this series more than we did, but they're a better team right now. Plain and simple.

The 800 lb. gorilla in the room at the conclusion of 2016 was that Farrell couldn't get this team to rise to the occasion when the bright spotlights went on against Tito's Tribe in the playoffs. It is still glaringly obvious that Farrell does not and cannot get his team's attention for big games.
   B I N G O  dat... How do you only score one run in that stadium ???    I want an independent investigation and then I want heads to roll, changes made, NOW Grasshopper !!  thumb_d rofl iono slap

longgame

Well said.  That and of course the fact that this team is missing a real threat in the lineup.  They couldn't "replace" Papi so they decided not to try and that's biting them.  It seemed like everyone on the Yankees had at least 10 HRs! 

The Sox also appear to be giving up homers like nobody's business.  You can survive that if you pitch well and keep them to solo shots, but not if there are two men on all the time.  Add to that the runs we give away and it's not a good formula.

Schloicka

Quote from: longgame on June 09, 2017, 07:48:00 AM

Well said.  That and of course the fact that this team is missing a real threat in the lineup.  They couldn't "replace" Papi so they decided not to try and that's biting them.  It seemed like everyone on the Yankees had at least 10 HRs! 

The Sox also appear to be giving up homers like nobody's business.  You can survive that if you pitch well and keep them to solo shots, but not if there are two men on all the time.  Add to that the runs we give away and it's not a good formula.

The Sox are a poorly built team that never took into consideration the effect not having Ortiz in the lineup would have. Who was going to replace almost 40 hr's and over 100 rbi? Even if Betts and Hanley had the same output as last season you still didn't replace Ortiz's output. I look at the Yankee team and the Sox team (what a player does on offense and defense combined) and about the only position the Sox might have an edge at is at 1st base and that is slight if there is an edge. The way the game is played these days you need guys who can hit hr's. If you watch the Yanks and O's they win with the long ball for the most part. They don't have genius managers. (they get bitched about just about everyday to by the fans of their teams) They sit back and wait for the hr.

Bill-806

Quote from: Schloicka on June 09, 2017, 09:39:49 AM
Quote from: longgame on June 09, 2017, 07:48:00 AM

The Sox are a poorly built team that never took into consideration the effect not having Ortiz in the lineup would have. Who was going to replace almost 40 hr's and over 100 rbi? Even if Betts and Hanley had the same output as last season you still didn't replace Ortiz's output. I look at the Yankee team and the Sox team (what a player does on offense and defense combined) and about the only position the Sox might have an edge at is at 1st base and that is slight if there is an edge. The way the game is played these days you need guys who can hit hr's. If you watch the Yanks and O's they win with the long ball for the most part. They don't have genius managers. (they get bitched about just about everyday to by the fans of their teams) They sit back and wait for the hr.
  Live by the long ball, die by the long ball !!!   Basic baseball,  get a 3 run jump, then in most cases the other team falls apart and you are into their bullpen !!

Bill-806

Quote from: Bill-806 on June 09, 2017, 06:51:13 AM

B I N G O  dat... How do you only score one run in that stadium ???    I want an independent investigation and then I want heads to roll, changes made, NOW Grasshopper !!  thumb_d rofl iono slap
  Speaking of an investigation ??    Just what is the function of one Fernando LBAD ??? iono