GAME #27, BALTIMORE ORIOLES AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, May 03, 2017, 03:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Quote from: markj on May 03, 2017, 07:56:19 PM
Yeah, this ump is a chump tonight for sure.

Pom-Pom doing ok so far. Would like to see him get into the 7th.

Umps in general have been pretty bad in this series, but I'm sure when he tossed Jones it was because of some magic words.  Tossing Gausman was ridiculous.

Pomeranz was okay, but Hembree making sure this is going to be a close one.  Too bad the Sox couldn't manage to run it up against the call-up they faced.

markj

Well Pomeranz didn't make it through the 6th. I hate it when a pitcher leaves so much of the game to a bullpen, but considering his long 1st inning, I guess he wasn't going too deep in this game.

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on May 03, 2017, 08:23:31 PM
Quote from: markj on May 03, 2017, 07:56:19 PM
Yeah, this ump is a chump tonight for sure.

Pom-Pom doing ok so far. Would like to see him get into the 7th.

Umps in general have been pretty bad in this series, but I'm sure when he tossed Jones it was because of some magic words.  Tossing Gausman was ridiculous.

Pomeranz was okay, but Hembree making sure this is going to be a close one.  Too bad the Sox couldn't manage to run it up against the call-up they faced.

I can understand why Gausman got tossed in view of Torres phone call and Sales plunking some one yesterday. If he hadn't I can see how this could have gotten out of hand quickly.  I suspect that the umpires were probably under instructions to run a very tight ship hence the early hook.

markj

Another great outing by Kimbrel. Pom-Pom gets another win.

Rob from Mass

It's fun watching Kimbrel finally dominate hitters when he is called on.

SeaBeachFred

Over reaction on the part of that hack plate umpire?  I think so.  A warning would have sufficed but I think Torre is calling some shots now trying to temper down what's appearing to be a hardening of feeling between the Red Sox and the Orioles.  Pomeranz was lucky to even get to the sixth after that long first frame but he did ok and the bullpen did well again.  Now what of Young?  He had a decent game considering his two bagger got us a run and Rutledge ought to get another start as well as his big hit drove in two runs.  Those were the difference in the game and it should get both of them a  start tomorrow.  But we need more than six hits tomorrow.

ipot

The ump was an idiot.  But, here's the other side to it:  some guy Bleier comes in to pitch - who hadn't pitched more than 35 pitches in the minors all season - and our offense manages 1 run off him.  If Hardy didn't pull 3 errors, this game would have been even closer.  We managed 6 hits.  It's not the way we need to keep doing things. 
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

In 65 years of my baseball,  I have never seen an infielder get hurt reaching out for a ground ball.  This "Little Marco" is something else thumb_d

elktonnick

Quote from: ipot on May 04, 2017, 03:07:42 AM
The ump was an idiot.  But, here's the other side to it:  some guy Bleier comes in to pitch - who hadn't pitched more than 35 pitches in the minors all season - and our offense manages 1 run off him.  If Hardy didn't pull 3 errors, this game would have been even closer.  We managed 6 hits.  It's not the way we need to keep doing things.
I disagree. After listening to Gausman's post game interview on ESPN, I became convinced that he was intentionally trying to hit Bogey. According to a statement made by Gary Thorne during the Orioles broadcast there is a feeling among Major League umpires that Showalter and the O's use the curve and changeup when they throw at some one to mask their intentions.  The sense I got from Gausman who never denied the fact that he intentionally threw at Bogey but that it only was a 77 mph curveball.
I've seen enough O's games to know these guys are some of the biggest bellyachers in the game.  They constantly whine about everything.
In view of all that, I agree that Gausman should have been tossed.

longgame

The more I think about it, although I still think it was way to quick to toss him, in a way it sort of puts a cap on everything.  This all started with Machado sliding into Pedroia, a routine play up until a couple of years ago, in fact it's the way I was taught to come in - don't worry about the fielder, the bag is yours.  But, Pedroia ended up losing a few games, so of course the Sox were pissed.  Sox tried to take revenge (poorly) and Barnes paid the price.  So now it's 7 games off Red Sox vs. none for the O's.  Last night's tossing at least imparted some sort of penalty on the O's for this as well.

The O's can whine all they want, but hopefully this ended this episode. 

Muggah

Quote from: elktonnick on May 04, 2017, 07:05:33 AM
I disagree. After listening to Gausman's post game interview on ESPN, I became convinced that he was intentionally trying to hit Bogey. According to a statement made by Gary Thorne during the Orioles broadcast there is a feeling among Major League umpires that Showalter and the O's use the curve and changeup when they throw at some one to mask their intentions.  The sense I got from Gausman who never denied the fact that he intentionally threw at Bogey but that it only was a 77 mph curveball.
I've seen enough O's games to know these guys are some of the biggest bellyachers in the game.  They constantly whine about everything.

Of course Gausman meant to hit Bogey, elk. That was straight from the Showalter playbook.
Bosox Board: The Exclusive Home of Muggah

SeaBeachFred

You could be right again Elk but the best and to me the only way to shut up those whining bellyachers is to out there and beat them.....like how about tonight!!!!!! Does our team have the heart, guts and balls to do that?

elktonnick

Quote from: Muggah on May 04, 2017, 08:31:36 AM

Of course Gausman meant to hit Bogey, elk. That was straight from the Showalter playbook.

Showalter is one wily tough manager who pulls no punches.  My only complaint is I wish he were managing in Boston.  I obviously prefer him over Farrell even though he made one whopper of a mistake by not using Britton last year.