GAME #157, TORONTO BLUE JAYS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, September 26, 2017, 02:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

JAYS V RED SOX

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 26, 2017, 7 PM AT FENWAY PARK

TV:  NESN, SNET

TORONTO, (74-83)..........................................................................................BOSTON, (91-65)

TORONTO:

J.A. HAPP, LHP, 9-11, 3.64 ERA, 133K

Happ is finishing the season on a roll.  He has allowed one earned run or fewer
in four of his last five starts, and he's pitched into the seventh during each of his last
two.  He's 6-3 over his last 10 starts.

BOSTON:

CHRIS SALE, LHP, 17-7, 2.75 ERA, 300K

The ace is 13 strikeouts from tying Pedro Martinez for the club record of 313 in
1999.  Sale was dominant in his last start, firing eight scoreless innings while allowing
four hits and striking out 13.  The lefty is 7-2 with a 2.81 era at Fenway.

Dominant Sale starts as Sox near East clinch

Quinn Roberts

With the American League East title in sight, the Red Sox enter Tuesday night's game against the Blue Jays at Fenway Park with a magic number of three to clinch the division. Boston dropped the opener, which snapped a six-game winning streak.

While they may be close, the Red Sox are doing their best not to focus on the standings or who they may face in the postseason.

"Tonight's game. Nothing beyond tonight. That's the attitude that this team has had the entire season," Red Sox manager John Farrell said before Monday's game. "There is no reason to suggest that would change during this final homestand. We love the fact that we are back home."

AL Cy Young Award candidate Chris Sale makes his fourth start of the season against Toronto. The ace has dominated the Blue Jays in 2017, going 2-0 without giving up an earned run in 22 innings. He has allowed just 11 hits and has struck out a whopping 35 batters.

J.A. Happ gets the nod for the Blue Jays. The left-hander mixed pitches well in his last start against the Royals on Thursday, going 6 2/3 innings and allowing just one run on seven hits in a loss.

"It was a two-seamer and a curveball," Happ said after his last start. "That got two big double-play balls. I felt like I got more of those last year, but they came in big spots tonight. So those were big pitches that we were able to turn that got us out of a few jams tonight."

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• Expect Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia back in the lineup. He sat out Monday as he recovers from a sore left knee. Mookie Betts (left wrist) and Eduardo Nunez (right knee) exited Monday's game and are day to day.

• The current Blue Jays roster is batting a cumulative .176 against Sale. Russell Martin is 0-for-12, Jose Bautista is 1-for-17, Kevin Pillar is 3-for-19 and Josh Donaldson is 5-for-24.

• In getting to 300 strikeouts, Sale also ranks first in the Majors in numerous sub-categories, including swinging strikeouts (221), strikeouts on four-seam fastballs (139), strikeouts on in-zone pitches (154), strikeouts on 0-2 counts (74) and strikeouts against right-handed batters (259).

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170925256063514/dominant-sale-starts-as-sox-near-east-clinch/?game_pk=492457

Bear

RESERVED

MAGIC NUMBER

No Nunez or Betts vs. TOR:

Bogaerts SS,
Young RF,
Benintendi LF,
Ramirez DH,
Travis 1B,
Devers 3B,
Marrero 2B,
Leon C,
Bradley CF,

Sale LHP

Bill-806

Here we go, a MUST WIN tonight for the SOX & SALE ....... (APRIL, MAY, & JUNE ???????  )   iono slap rofl

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Bill-806 on September 26, 2017, 05:27:05 AM
Here we go, a MUST WIN tonight for the SOX & SALE ....... (APRIL, MAY, & JUNE ???????  )   iono slap rofl

Nothing is automatic about tonight's game Bill so I am relieved that you didn't come out and say tonight is in the bag because it most certainly isn't.  Watch to see if Chrissie Young or Hanley Has-Been are in the lineup, then count to three and pray like you never have before.  I hate feeling like this but when I saw Farrell's lineup for last night's game my confidence and upbeat feeling simply eroded.  I cannot believe he would bench Benintendi for his pet Chrissie.  We could still blow this thing.

longgame

I'd be very worried about Happ.  The Sox can make bad pitchers look good and as the intro says Happ has been on a roll. 

Plus he's a lefty so Farrell will feel forced to play a poor lineup.

Bear

That's right, lineup will consist of Young...good old Young.
Brock Holt?  Good possibility.
Betts having his wrist examined today, wonder how that will turn out.
Nunez out for the week.
BTW, do we want NUNEZ here next season?  Hasn't he been on the DL
2 or 3 times in the short time he's been here?
Pedroia, what can I say, I like the guy, but he has to be healthy.   iono   slap :'(

Bill-806

Quote from: longgame on September 26, 2017, 12:29:16 PM
I'd be very worried about Happ.  The Sox can make bad pitchers look good and as the intro says Happ has been on a roll. 

Put BENNIE BASEBALL in & let him go !!!

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Bill-806 on September 26, 2017, 01:07:08 PM
Quote from: longgame on September 26, 2017, 12:29:16 PM

Put BENNIE BASEBALL in & let him go !!!

What the #$%$^---What the hell is that F@#$%&?G Young in the lineup again?  And batting 2nd?????  Chrissie is a worthless POS who can't hit anybody....AND WE HAVE HIM BATTING SECOND???????  And Ramirez fourth??????  If we blow this thing, and with these two bums in there we very well could, Farrell must be fired and fast.  What a worthless no good bum he is, stubbornly keeping Chrissie in there when he hasn't had more than three hits in three months---and he never gets on base much either.  No power, and notice that when he plays our team seems to play poorly and often loses?  I would much rather have Holt in there.  At least he gives you a little fire and drive.  Tonight we stand a 65% chance of losing.  F#$K you Farrell.

And start doing something at the plate Bradley and Leon!!!!!!!  You've shit the bed with the bat long enough.    Truth be told I will not be watching this game and will pray my fanny off and it might not do much good.

ipot

This one is a sh-t show on so many levels:

1. Happ is no slouch, folks.  He's a VERY good pitcher.
2. Young is in there because who's our 4th OFer? Do we have a choice?
3. Nunez is hurt again.  Why?  Because he has to overcompensate for what is a a horrible parade of bats.  I like him a lot.  He's the only "real hitter" we have.
4. Leon, who can't hit a HS team, is in there as Sale's personal catcher when Vaz is actually hitting 100 points better.
5. Pedey's playing time management is code for "He's got about 1 good half-a-season left in him."

6. and....sooooo.......Sale has to wear down his arm, go deep and keep a "0" on the board to give us a 50/50 shot at a W.

We're relying on NYY losses to clinch this division.  Hopefully, HOU will be resting everyone....
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

Quote from: ipot on September 26, 2017, 03:43:30 PM
This one is a sh-t show on so many levels:

1. Happ is no slouch, folks.  He's a VERY good pitcher.
2. Young is in there because who's our 4th OFer? Do we have a choice?
3. Nunez is hurt again.  Why?  Because he has to overcompensate for what is a a horrible parade of bats.  I like him a lot.  He's the only "real hitter" we have.
4. Leon, who can't hit a HS team, is in there as Sale's personal catcher when Vaz is actually hitting 100 points better.
5. Pedey's playing time management is code for "He's got about 1 good half-a-season left in him."

6. and....sooooo.......Sale has to wear down his arm, go deep and keep a "0" on the board to give us a 50/50 shot at a W.

We're relying on NYY losses to clinch this division.  Hopefully, HOU will be resting everyone....
B I N G O  DAT !!!! thumb_u iono slap rofl

Schloicka

BoSoxFanNY

Sale has given up 2 solo shots to Josh Donaldson
AND the Sox are having a hard time against Happ.
Jays 2 - Sox 1

AND, yes - Sale is already at 71 pitches at the beginning
of the 4th inning.

MEANWHILE - the Yankees are beating the Rays . . .

DANG IT!

Schloicka

Only 2 hits so far. The first two hitters of the game. Should of gotten Young home from 2nd with no outs but our 3-5 hitters did nothing.

BoSoxFanNY

ANOTHER solo home run given up by Sale.

Jays 3 - Sox 1.

NOT looking good.
AND the Yankees are winning . . .

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

markj