GAME #82, BOSTON RED SOX AT TORONTO BLUE JAYS

Started by Bear, July 02, 2017, 02:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

RED SOX V BLUE JAYS

SUNDAY, JULY 2, 2017, 1 PM AT ROGERS CENTRE

TV:  NESN, SNET

BOSTON, (46-35).................................................................................TORONTO, (37-43)

BOSTON:

DREW POMERANZ, LHP, 7-4, 3.81 ERA, 89K

In his last three starts, the southpaw has strung together some of his best
outings of the season, going 1-0 with a 1.3 ERA and 16 strikeouts over 17 2/3
innings.  He lowered his season ERA from 4.48 to 3.81 during this stretch.

TORONTO:

JOE BIAGINI, RHP, 2-7, 4.50 ERA 56K

This is expected to be Biagini's final start before he gives way to the rehabbing
Aaron Sanchez.  He is 2-6 with a 4.93 ERA in ten starts and in his last outing he allowed
three runs over 5 1/3 innings to Baltimore.

Pomeranz, Sox eye sweep in Toronto

Keegan Matheson

Drew Pomeranz will take the mound for the Red Sox on Sunday afternoon in Toronto as they wrap up their three-game series against Joe Biagini and the Blue Jays. Boston won the first two.

Pomeranz has been a source of stability for Boston this season, having allowed more than two earned runs in just three of his 15 starts. The left-hander has strung together three good outings in a row, giving up three earned runs over his past 17 2/3 innings.

In Pomeranz's previous outing against the Twins, he was forced to sit through a one hour and 16 minute rain delay and otherwise would have been able to pitch deeper. Regardless, he shut out Minnesota for his five innings and struck out seven batters.

This could be Biagini's final start in the Blue Jays' rotation, as a return to the bullpen looms. Aaron Sanchez is scheduled to pitch on Sunday for Toronto's Triple-A affiliate, the Buffalo Bisons, and is expected to return from the disabled list in this rotation spot the next trip through.

After a promising debut as a starter in early May, Biagini has been inconsistent, with an ERA of 4.93 in his 10 starts. As a reliever, the right-hander owns a 3.38 ERA with an opponent OPS of .585 in 14 games. In Biagini's last outing, he allowed three earned runs over 5 1/3 innings of work against the Orioles, while walking an uncharacteristic four batters.

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• Kendrys Morales was given a rare day off on Saturday with Josh Donaldson getting the start at DH, but he'll be back in the lineup Sunday. Morales has hit just .197 over 66 at-bats with runners in scoring position, which has been magnified, considering he was brought in to be a run producer behind Donaldson and Jose Bautista. Morales will be happy to see a lefty on the mound, however, as he's posted an .898 OPS against them this season.

• Toronto's bullpen has been one of the most-used units in the American League this season, but entered Saturday's game with a 3.77 ERA , having struck out over one batter per inning. The Blue Jays have needed to shuffle their relief corps recently, calling up Rule 5 pick Glenn Sparkman on Friday and Lucas Harrell on Saturday. Both right-handers could provide the Blue Jays with some length if Biagini runs into trouble.

• After making his 13th 4-star catch of the season on Thursday, Mookie Betts entered this series just one 4-star catch shy of Byron Buxton for the Major League lead, according to Statcast. He's yet to record a 5-star grab, but did enter the series tied with Ender Inciarte for the most 3-star catches (15).

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170701239864118/pomeranz-sox-eye-sweep-in-toronto/?game_pk=491324

Bear

Finale in Toronto.

Betts RF,
Pedroia 2B,
Bogaerts SS,
Moreland 1B,
Bradley Jr. CF,
Ramirez DH,
Benintendi LF,
Vázquez C,
Lin 3B, 

Pomeranz.

Rob from Mass

Finally in 1st place .1 game up on the Yanks.I only care what is seen in the loss column.Thats what get you to October.

MongoLikeSox

In Spring training, if someone told me that the sox would be in first place in early July with Pom Pom second on the team with wins......  well, baseball can be quite interesting sometimes.  8)

Bill-806

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 02, 2017, 09:04:30 AM
In Spring training, if someone told me that the sox would be in first place in early July with Pom Pom second on the team with wins......  well, baseball can be quite interesting sometimes.  8)
  Yes, BASEBALL is like a Saturday night date, sometimes you win, sometimes you loose, but you must SCORE !!!

Rob from Mass

Sox have the 3rd best ERA in the majors behind the Bums Ariz.Can't recall that happening  at the half way mark.Good job ny Willis and JF.

Bear

I don't know about you Bill.  I won't ask you to explain your post.

SeaBeachFred

I notice that Andrew Benintendi has been dropped to seventh in the batting order in addition to being platooned regularly now.  I think the Red Sox are playing with fire here.  When the season began he was rated as the No. 1 Prospect in all baseball.  You do NOT handle a young and upcoming talent like this because it is dangerous and stupid.  He should be batting second and kept in the lineup.  You don't learn to hit lefties unless you play against them just as Jackie has been able to learn to do.  No one else seems to be noticing this just as seemingly none of you got concerned when the fix came in last fall and Travis Shaw was traded so that Pablo Porky could be handed third base again.  We now know that was a disaster just as I predicted it would be.  Now we are screwing around with Benintendi. 

On another more pleasant matter, we couldn't seem to get 10 games above 500 nor get into first place by more than percentage points. Well we seem to have done that now, and hopefully it is not  temporary thing.  Now how about sweeping a three game series.  We haven't done that much since 2013 and we have a chance to do that today.  Please, let's just do it.

Schloicka

Xman out with a groin injury. He's listed as day to day..................but then again aren't we all?

longgame

Benitendi moved up in the lineup, I guess because Bogey is out.  I like Bradley in the 5 spot as long as he remains hot. 

Hanley now up with 2 on in the first.  Let's hope he can mash one.

longgame

Well Hanley came through - Sox establish an early 1-0 lead!

Schloicka

Nice triple by Lin. He set Betts up for the 2 out RBI. Interesting the Sox are 9 games over .500 when Marrero starts. 21-12.

ipot

Be nice to get Ramirez home from 3rd here. 
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Schloicka

As Eck said. 2 bunts and a blast. 5-1 Sox.

markj

Mookie!!! And well done to Lin and Marrero with those bunts.