GAME #69, BOSTON RED SOX AT HOUSTON ASTROS

Started by Bear, June 18, 2017, 02:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob from Mass

Quote from: Schloicka on June 18, 2017, 11:39:12 PM
Sox now need to figure out how to get Porcello and Price to be more consistant. Price did get the win but allowing 8 hits and 3 walks in 5 innings is a recipe for disaster. The 2 hr's were both solo shots so that's not a terrible thing considering I expect teams like the Astro's to hit hr's. If you throw a hr hitting team enough pitches the will burn you occasionally. Nice to see Xman come through. Let's hope Betts and Pedroia are ok for the next game.

Kansas City. Kansas City Here We Come!

A much bigger recipe for DIASTER is Porcello giving up 17 ER in his last 18  1/3 innings.

longgame

Quote from: Schloicka on June 18, 2017, 10:24:31 PM
Quote from: markj on June 18, 2017, 10:10:44 PM
Kelly shakes off two signs and then gives up a double. Hmm.

He made a good pitch. 100mph on the corner down and away. Hitter just got the best of that match up. He got out of it giving up no runs.

There were a few of these.  One of the big hits that they got against Price was a curve ball down and off the plate and the guy pulled it.  Still, Price looks absolutely terrible.  About the only thing ESPN got right last night was showing where his pitches were being thrown vs. where the catcher was setting up.

longgame

ESPN is just horrible, but at least the night before we had Fox and Don Orsillo.  Thankfully Joe Buck was doing the US Open (a terrible broadcast - leave golf to the Golf Channel, NBC and CBS.)

At one point Boone was saying "next pitch here will be a high fastball", the guy K's on a low fastball.  Next batter "he'll be climbing the ladder again!"  Again!?!?!  Then they have one too many announcers, a three man booth means they have to talk to each other rather than talk about the game. 

As for the game, at least the Sox came through for Price and he got the win.  Having $50M tied up in two terrible pitchers is a real shame.  Nice to see some timely offense and they flashed the leather a bit too.  Pedey should stop trying to steal bases, he seems to get caught (and hurt) every time.

ipot

Quote from: Rob from Mass on June 19, 2017, 07:45:24 AM
Sox now need to figure out how to get Porcello and Price to be more consistant. Price did get the win but allowing 8 hits and 3 walks in 5 innings is a recipe for disaster. The 2 hr's were both solo shots so that's not a terrible thing considering I expect teams like the Astro's to hit hr's. If you throw a hr hitting team enough pitches the will burn you occasionally. Nice to see Xman come through. Let's hope Betts and Pedroia are ok for the next game.

A much bigger recipe for DIASTER is Porcello giving up 17 ER in his last 18  1/3 innings.

Yup.  I'm not holding my breath with Price either.  Last night was an escape job, the kind Porcello was doing 6 or so starts back - he'd get the W with a minimal amount of damage run-wise but the WHIP was  ugly.  Eventually, it caught up to him - too many hits/BBs.  Price is looking the same way....It's a BIG problem.  Both these guys.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on June 19, 2017, 07:29:39 AM
Quote from: ipot on June 18, 2017, 11:43:16 PM
Quote from: Schloicka on June 18, 2017, 11:20:51 PM
Quote from: markj on June 18, 2017, 11:18:29 PM
Quote from: Schloicka on June 18, 2017, 11:14:00 PM
Quote from: markj on June 18, 2017, 11:07:05 PM
What? Panda at 3B and Rutledge at 2B? Isn't that weakening your defense?

Obviously Pedroia can't play or he'd be out there.

Nothing is obvious until they tell you what's going on.

Is pretty obvious unless Pedroia has quit the team. If he felt he could of been on the field he would of been. He certainly wasn't taken out to improve the defense.

Announcers said he hurt his back in previous inning. 

I can't stand the ESPN announcers, so I had it muted. So I missed the one important thing they said all night.

That announcing team on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball should just get lost.  The lady has outlived her usefulness with all her giggling and mundane comments, and the other two are tweedley dumb and tweedlee dee.  Besides, those commercials last forever and are incessant and the game just drones on and on.......and I have it easier since I live on the West Coast. Courageous win, though, and we won the series.  5-2 on this trip---not exactly road  warriors yet but an improvement from earlier.  I just hope we don't lose Pedroia for any length of time.  He would never have come out unless he was hurt.  Damn it, though, he seems to get hurt too much for our and his own good.  We need him in that lineup and we don't need Sandoval in there at all.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Rob from Mass on June 19, 2017, 07:45:24 AM

Yea Rob, and I will be there Friday in person watching them retire Papi's number and most likely seeing Porcello getting his head handed to him again.  Some how, some way the Red Sox must win  this coming Friday.  David doesn't deserve his night to be spoiled by crappy pitching and crappier play.  WIN THAT GAME!!!!!!!

elktonnick

Hello all from Juneau Alaska.  Caught the ESPN game.  Espn has the worst broadcast team.  The spent the entire broadcast playing "I am smarter than you".  They seemed to forget there was a game being played.

Bill-806

Quote from: elktonnick on June 19, 2017, 04:13:50 PM
Hello all from Juneau Alaska.  Caught the ESPN game.  Espn has the worst broadcast team.  The spent the entire broadcast playing "I am smarter than you".  They seemed to forget there was a game being played.
B I N G O  DAT  !!! thumb_d rofl slap