Curtis Mead (R) 2B
Manuel Margot (R) CF
Raimel Tapia (L) LF
Taylor Walls (S) SS
Rene Pinto (R) C

Gametime Temp: 56F
Chance of Precip: 3%

MongoLikeSox

*IF* we were to believe the story of Zeflin using the Sox to set the price for the Rays, it'd be nice to get a little bit of revenge in, yah?

Sea Dog 23

Eflin is just one of the standards Bloom detractors point to where he failed to attract a quality SP in the off-season.  Others were Anderson (Angels), Eovaldi (Rangers), Wacha, all who were pushing $20mil.  Instead he dropped his goals to a Garrett Richards type again in getting aging Kluber for around $10mil.  Then sat out any deadline moves, save for Urias to add to the plethora of mediocre INF's already on hand.  Is there any wonder why the season is already an after-thought? 

Sure, he was dancing around the tax threthhold, but he did the same in 2022, even going over the limit to get guys like Pham, and still finished last place.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 26, 2023, 07:36:32 AM
Eflin is just one of the standards Bloom detractors point to where he failed to attract a quality SP in the off-season.  Others were Anderson (Angels), Eovaldi (Rangers), Wacha, all who were pushing $20mil.  Instead he dropped his goals to a Garrett Richards type again in getting aging Kluber for around $10mil.  Then sat out any deadline moves, save for Urias to add to the plethora of mediocre INF's already on hand.  Is there any wonder why the season is already an after-thought? 

Sure, he was dancing around the tax threthhold, but he did the same in 2022, even going over the limit to get guys like Pham, and still finished last place.
Indeed, I think Eflin not signing with us was the first of many "we're shocked" moments last Autumn. The Sox brass said they thought they had a deal in place. Even had a spin article on the Athletic. IIRC, the headline was akin "For Efflin, the decision to sign with Tampa was all about...." I THINK it was about this time that we saw Kennedy hop into the off-season action.

longgame

Although both TB and BAL are locked in for the playoffs, the Sox can still play a role as the two battle it out for first place.  Sox can basically knock TB out of a chance of 1st with two wins. Then on to Baltimore.  Realistically though I don't expect them to win any of these last 6.

longgame

Schloicka

Sea Dog 23

I hope Bloom's replacement is a home run hire.  The hodge podge club they're putting out there will need almost a full retro fit next year.  Most of these  guys are not competitive baseball players if the last month is all they can do.  Add Cora to the scrap pile too.

elktonnick

Quote from: Schloicka on September 26, 2023, 06:44:22 PM
Devers with 19 errors. Make him a DH and move on.
Frank Malzone made 25 errors in 1957 to lead the league in errors. But he led the league in chances, putouts and assists.  He won the Gold Glove
That was when they gave only one. Malzone was considered  the best defender in baseball that year
. The point is total errors do not tell the complete story

MongoLikeSox

Can Wong not do a damned thing with easy RBI opps this year or what???

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 26, 2023, 07:36:32 AM

I don't think anyone on this board disagrees with you on those points you made Sea Dog, but I also think most of us want to forget about Chaim Bloom as quickly as possible and put that dipshit out of  our memory as fast as time will permit.  Personally I want him to disappear like a fart in the wind.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on September 26, 2023, 04:19:57 PM
Although both TB and BAL are locked in for the playoffs, the Sox can still play a role as the two battle it out for first place.  Sox can basically knock TB out of a chance of 1st with two wins. Then on to Baltimore.  Realistically though I don't expect them to win any of these last 6.

I got them winning one game and finishing with 77 wins this year.

SeaBeachFred

I have been saying that for almost three years Schloicka.  He hasn't improved as a third baseman the past three years and, in fact, has regressed.  He is a DH and that should be that.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on September 26, 2023, 07:07:39 PM
Frank Malzone made 25 errors in 1957 to lead the league in errors. But he led the league in chances, putouts and assists.  He won the Gold Glove
That was when they gave only one. Malzone was considered  the best defender in baseball that year
. The point is total errors do not tell the complete story

It does with Devers Elk.  This is one area where you and I depart completely. Raffy has actually gone backwards the past three seasons.  Our defense needs an overhaul and it will begin to shore itself up putting Devers in the DH spot.  His fielding is one of the many reasons our defense stunk to high heaven this season.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on September 26, 2023, 08:57:20 PM
Can Wong not do a damned thing with easy RBI opps this year or what???

No, he cannot Mongo.  Wing Wong is a total turd at the plate and he should be some of the trash that gets hauled out of Boston this off season.  I actually think they keep this turd around in the hope that he will come around and perform ably so the Betts heist won't look so bad after all.  Maybe we should send him with Bloom to wherever that loser winds up.