Aaron Hicks (S) CF
Gunnar Henderson (L) 3B
Jordan Westburg (R) 2B
James McCann (R) C
Jorge Mateo (R) SS

Gametime Temp: 81F
Chance of Precip: 11%

Sea Dog 23

Game is delayed.  There's a big weather system/storms from Florida - Virginia - up the east coast.  Football games have been delayed about 1.5 hours down south today.

elktonnick

Once again the Sox are proving that they can not play competitive baseball.

Sea Dog 23

Whoa!  The O's are putting a hurting on Sale.  Bless our ravaged bullpen.

markj

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on September 09, 2023, 08:26:00 PM
23 hits and they still lose. 14 LOBsters may be the reason.

Abreu apparently made some adjustments because he had a helluva five-for-five game today, but Rafaela only got one at-bat-----a double and is hitting 471.  Why the hell isn't he in the starting lineup now that we are toast for this season....again.  Could it be that for some reason Raffy may not be in Cora's good graces?  I've said it before and will keep saying it over and over again.  Cora has his favorites and plays them.  Eventually it will do him in when word spreads and the cheater will wind up managing winter ball in Puerto Rico.   And how do you get 12 runs and still lose a game?  As for Sale, did he ride his bike and had another accident no one knows about?  Sad the way the big lefthander has deteriorated as a pitcher.  I always liked that guy.

MongoLikeSox

It's funny how a team can absolutely own a pitcher. That's happened to Sale and the Orioles and has been like that since Spring Training. We've done that to a couple aces in the past.

Devers' swing and approach the past two nights has been exceptional. Why he lets himself go into those bad grooves for weeks or more is baffling. Is he that unapproachable and stubborn? I can't imagine 7 seasons in and this is still a thing.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 09, 2023, 10:52:04 PM
Abreu apparently made some adjustments because he had a helluva five-for-five game today, but Rafaela only got one at-bat-----a double and is hitting 471.  Why the hell isn't he in the starting lineup now that we are toast for this season....again.  Could it be that for some reason Raffy may not be in Cora's good graces?  I've said it before and will keep saying it over and over again.  Cora has his favorites and plays them.  Eventually it will do him in when word spreads and the cheater will wind up managing winter ball in Puerto Rico.   And how do you get 12 runs and still lose a game?  As for Sale, did he ride his bike and had another accident no one knows about?  Sad the way the big lefthander has deteriorated as a pitcher.  I always liked that guy.

His beating out a swinging bunt recently was downright impressive. I knew he was fast, but damn!

I've been thinking about the Rafaela situation quite a bit, too. It's quite a spot. There is a LOT happening all at once with the 'Sox ranging from:
1: taking care of veterans so that we have any chance of signing free agents this off season.
2: Stretching Yoshida out to the longer season before it REALLY matters that he is.
3: We HAVE to know what we have and do not have in Abreu and (gulp) Valdez for next season. A lot rides on Abreu being able to replace Verdugo, freeing the latter up for a trade. We already know what we have in Rafaela.
4: Story HAS to finish strong. The better he does, the better state of mind he might be for next Spring.

Even if it was not for ongoing situations, Rafaela is only a month into he starting to learn how to control the strike zone. His first big league AB was stunning to me. I'd not seen him like that yet. The patience and zone control, I mean. Obviously still a new thing and very much a WIP. We've seen control and we've seen chasing since. Getting some small doses for a few weeks might not be a bad thing. Keep it positive going into Fall Ball or Winter Ball, perhaps.

Then again, it's not hard to ignore the obvious politics involved as a desperate Bloom tries to keep his job by showing that the Vasquez trade might work out after all. Valdez - heh - not so much. This is about Abreu. A lot, and I mean a LOT hinges on Abreu working out.