GAME #126 - TUESDAY, AUGUST 22, 2023 - BOSTON RED SOX @ HOUSTON ASTROS

Started by markj, August 22, 2023, 09:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

The game was manageable until the 4 run 7th, all unearned as it were.  Just pitiful.  glad  I didn't get to see it, a blackout here in South Carolina.

MongoLikeSox

Just another ugly game. Pathetic fielding again. I would have thought Devers would have put it all together by now 5 years ago. He's got the ability.

Abreu gets a pass because of 1st game up and got over zealous with the throw and air mailed it. I hope this does not make him over-cautious. I'm more concerned about the bobble on the double a few innings later on that double. I hope that's not typical like it was with Renfroe.

Quote from: markj on August 22, 2023, 08:24:24 PM
Sigh. Wong goes down the first baseline after a bunt, so Devers and Houck stand there looking at an open home plate. Easy run scored for the 'Stros.
I've been trying to figure out the proper rotation on that one. Runner on 2nd, bunt down the 1B line. I get Millar's point that Devers had to man 3B with the runner coming over from 2b. That runner has to be held on to keep him from creeping around 3B too much, but that assumes somebody covers Home Plate. 3B'man rushes back to 3B on any bunt down the 1B line. To take it a step further, that would have to be a rotation play for Devers to cover Home, but it leaves 2B open should the bunter make it to 1B. That leaves only the Pitcher who has to change direction after he knows the Catcher is making the play?

btw - Did anybody else recognize Dubon, the baserunner on the play? He was part of the package that brought us the arm health disaster, Tyler Thornburg.   

longgame

Sox clearly aren’t in the same class as teams like the Astros.  Beating the Yankees was our season highlight and we get another shot at them in September.

Devers seems to the hot topic of the day.  I can’t imagine having a one-dimensional player at DH making that kind of money. Casas is turning into the 1B of the future.  Devers clearly misses Bogey. Since he’s been gone he’s had a roster full of guys next to him. So he tries to do too much and he’s not a great fielder to begin with. Story next to him would help if he played every day but he’s not at that point yet.

Abreu looked good other than that throw he air mailed. He knew he was wrong when he threw it and clearly was trying to come up with a big play in his first game. Two hits in your first game, not too bad.

Verdugo will be somewhere else next year.  Too bad, but you can’t get yourself thrown out there.

The bunt play was no win. Maybe the pitcher could have covered home? That ball took a late kick off a rock or dirt clump that shot it fair.

Did anyone catch Verlander telling Cora to fâ€"k off?

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on August 23, 2023, 07:52:14 AM
Did anyone catch Verlander telling Cora to fâ€"k off?
Yup! Cora gave it back t him, too. Cora's got a mouth on him and was not taking kindly to Verlander butting into his time with the Ump.

Verlander should know better than to interrupt an opposing Manager when he's getting an explanation from the ump. Especially so when it's still in a heated "WTF's going on?" state. That's not Verlander's time to speak.