5. Matt Chapman (R) 3B
6. Brandon Belt (L) DH
7. Danny Jansen (R) C
8. Cavan Biggio (L) 2B
9. Kevin Kiermaier (L) CF

Gametime Temp: 48°F
Chance of Precip: 3%

markj

More lousy weather in Boston. They've been having a dismal Spring so far.

longgame

Quote from: markj on May 04, 2023, 09:13:14 AM

But surprisingly few games have been cancelled, as opposed to some past years when April weather really jammed up the schedule later in the year. 

Sea Dog 23

Baseball is just an unpredictable, fascinating sport.  Sox are going for 4-0 vs Jays this year.  Last year they whupped us 16 out of 19 games.

Another crazy thing.  Jays last year at Fenway won a game 28-5.  In that game ... Jay's Tapia stroked an inside-the park grand slam homer to center field.  But the CF in that game was none other than Jarren Duran - who lost sight of the Tapia blast and never did find it.  Likely runied his '22 season in Boston.  Yet this year Duran has been an over achiever for the Sox, playing steady in the field and batting .400.  Who wudda thunk it?

SeaBeachFred

Hasn't been exactly a sunny one in Southern California either.  It rained last night and this morning.  At least the Red Sox are hot at the present time. I hope they can stay that way.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on May 04, 2023, 01:25:13 PM
Baseball is just an unpredictable, fascinating sport.  Sox are going for 4-0 vs Jays this year.  Last year they whupped us 16 out of 19 games.

Another crazy thing.  Jays last year at Fenway won a game 28-5.  In that game ... Jay's Tapia stroked an inside-the park grand slam homer to center field.  But the CF in that game was none other than Jarren Duran - who lost sight of the Tapia blast and never did find it.  Likely runied his '22 season in Boston.  Yet this year Duran has been an over achiever for the Sox, playing steady in the field and batting .400.  Who wudda thunk it?

Duran is getting a real shot at a job this year and I can only hope that Cora doesn't start jerking him around as he did last season.  Let the kid get a real shot; I think we will be very pleasantly surprised.  Of course, it is a little personal here.  Jarren went to the same college as I did so he is a brother or sorts.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on May 04, 2023, 03:18:48 PM

Hasn't been exactly a sunny one in Southern California either.  It rained last night and this morning.  At least the Red Sox are hot at the present time. I hope they can stay that way.

That's what my daughter said this morning too.  Here in NC it's been nice but about 10 degrees cooler than normal, which is great as it will be blazing hot soon enough.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on May 04, 2023, 03:20:48 PM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on May 04, 2023, 01:25:13 PM

Duran is getting a real shot at a job this year and I can only hope that Cora doesn't start jerking him around as he did last season.  Let the kid get a real shot; I think we will be very pleasantly surprised.  Of course, it is a little personal here.  Jarren went to the same college as I did so he is a brother or sorts.

I was just looking at the Sox record at the end of the TB series and they were 5-8, since then they've gone 13-6. 

I'm wondering what will happen when Story and Duvall come back.  Clearly Story needs to be at SS.  They have such a defensive deficit there and he would add some more pop to the lineup.  Duran is looking like he could Wally Pipp Duvall.  They'd then need to move Duvall to DH and then that means Turner would to have to play 1B, removing Casas from the equation.  It gets more interesting in the IF since they seem to love Hernandez like he's Brasier's brother or something.  He's the weakest link on this team behind Casas.  These are good problems to have, but the pitching will be our Achilles Heel. 

longgame

Who are these base stealing, slugging, clutch hitting guys?  Top to bottom hitting, patient at the plate.  Gotta love it.

markj

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on May 04, 2023, 05:52:34 PM
Who are these base stealing, slugging, clutch hitting guys?  Top to bottom hitting, patient at the plate.  Gotta love it.

This is not the team I saw in Ft Myers in March.  These guys returning from the WBC have turbo charged the offense.  I am wondering are they for real. Duran is hitting over 400 and playing an excellent venterfield.  Could Duvall be reduced to Dh if and when he returns.
I am enjoying the ride.

longgame

7 run lead, it’s Brasier time and he’s already let up a walk and a hit.  I’m almost hoping for him to give up a couple and maybe finally put a nail in his coffin.

elktonnick

Brasier comes in and walks the leadoff batter and then a base hit.  Cora does not like easy innings.

markj

Sox move into 3rd place. Yanks still in the basement. Surprise, surprise.

BoSoxFanNY

Didn't see the game - but, followed the score!

Red Sox SWEPT the Blue Jays!!
WHO saw that coming?

The Sox have moved up to third place in the AL EAST.

In any other division in the American League they
would be in first place or second place . . .

Have to enjoy how they are playing now.