Red Sox lock up Devers by agreeing to an 11-year, $331 million deal.

Started by Schloicka, January 04, 2023, 06:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on January 04, 2023, 06:18:16 PM

Red Sox lock up Devers by agreeing to an 11-year, $331 million deal.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/35379646/what-make-rafael-devers-extension-red-sox

I for one Schloicka didn't thing we had a chance in hell of signing Raffy to a long term contract and I have to wonder if I wasn't in good company  thinking that after seeing the Red Sox trading Betts, letting Bogaerts walk and failing to sign either JD or Evo.  Nice to be wrong on this because we need Devers' big bat and he is still young enough that when the th 11 year contract comes to a close he will still be only 37 and could move into a DH role.  As much as I despise Bloom this was a much needed move and I will give the guy some credit for this, though he still has a long way to go in order to placate this board and Red Sox Nation as a whole.  Still it turns out to be a good day.

Sea Dog 23

If anything going into 23, the Devers signing keeps the zanny reporters out of the clubhouse, not asking everyday the status of Raffy.

The only field player additions so far are Yoshida and a platoon guy/ DH in Turner. At the plate, who will protect Raffy?  There’s Turner, Casas, Story.  Can they help Raffy from seeing nothing but breaking balls throughout 2023?  Bloom seems to have passed on an OF power bat (Reynolds, Haniger) and solving the RF at Fenway dilemma.  Maybe there’s some hope for Raphaela to arrive sometime  this year to play an outfield spot, waiting for his offense to mature later on â€" big question mark.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on January 05, 2023, 07:28:46 AM
If anything going into 23, the Devers signing keeps the zanny reporters out of the clubhouse, not asking everyday the status of Raffy.

The only field player additions so far are Yoshida and a platoon guy/ DH in Turner. At the plate, who will protect Raffy?  There’s Turner, Casas, Story.  Can they help Raffy from seeing nothing but breaking balls throughout 2023?  Bloom seems to have passed on an OF power bat (Reynolds, Haniger) and solving the RF at Fenway dilemma.  Maybe there’s some hope for Raphaela to arrive sometime  this year to play an outfield spot, waiting for his offense to mature later on â€" big question mark.

Just so long as we do not see a return of Jackie Bradley Jr. for a third go-round with the Red Sox.  He is still a FA dangling out there and I wish some other team would take a flyer with him.  The longer he stays a FA the more worried I get about Bloom or Henry having a brain cramp and signing the guy.  I do not want to ever see this guy in a Red Sox uniform ever again.  JBJ is a nice guy, never gave anybody any trouble and did the best he could......not criticism there, but he never should have been anything else but a fourth outfielder.