Henry Booed at Fenway Classic

Started by longgame, January 02, 2023, 06:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Or whatever they called the NHL game today.  Apparently Henry, the owners of the visiting Penguins, was booed by the fans as he was seen at Fenway today.  From the reaction, it sounds like a lot of Liverpool fans felt the same.

Sea Dog 23

No doubt Sox MGT is totally tone deaf in Jan 2023.  After another last place, they are breaking up the team that won 3 years ago with washed up players. Then asking fans to get in line to buy increased ticket prices and subscriptions.  To see what?

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on January 03, 2023, 07:22:07 AM
No doubt Sox MGT is totally tone deaf in Jan 2023.  After another last place, they are breaking up the team that won 3 years ago with washed up players. Then asking fans to get in line to buy increased ticket prices and subscriptions.  To see what?

He had the same model in Liverpool.  Win a championship after a long drought and then turn attention away to new toys. 

MongoLikeSox

Seems I read somewhere that the Red Sox admitted to a mistake when they confiscated a "Pay Devers" sign a fan was holding at the Fenway Classic.

btw - Is that deal official?

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on January 06, 2023, 01:46:28 PM
Seems I read somewhere that the Red Sox admitted to a mistake when they confiscated a "Pay Devers" sign a fan was holding at the Fenway Classic.

btw - Is that deal official?

Until it is Devers is not signed long term.  Pass the physical and put Raffy's name on the dotted line without any BS.  I often wonder why Henry kept low balling and trading out better players and losing just about all of them.  My opinion is that he really thought he could get away with it, knowing the pink hats, pollyannas and boot lickers would still show up en-masse.  Now someone please tell me that IT IS NOW OFFICIAL, THAT DEVERS HAS SIGNED.

longgame

Barring some previously unknown injury which is unlikely for a player they've had for his whole career, he's signed, he's not getting out of it. 

Word going around that Henry getting booed got the message through and forced the Sox to pony up another $100MM but I'm not buying it.

MongoLikeSox

It has a bit of precedent. Same position. Mike Lowell had much support from the masses in one display outside of Fenway one time. I think this is when Henry was trying to wrestle A-Rod out of Texas. I may have combined events. I'm getting old. LOL

Still, I'm not buying it, either.

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on January 06, 2023, 03:00:03 PM
Barring some previously unknown injury which is unlikely for a player they've had for his whole career, he's signed, he's not getting out of it. 

Word going around that Henry getting booed got the message through and forced the Sox to pony up another $100MM but I'm not buying it.
I do!  Not that I ever expect the Red Sox media team to admit it. 

Henry is an extreme introvert.  He has no concept how his actions affect other people.  I suspect the booing shook him up the same way that the British reaction to his plans for a super soccer league that would destroy 100 plus years of British football tradition did.

He must have realized at that hockey game that the long-term viability and financial worth of his most important asset,  the Red Sox would suffer severe depreciation if he did not sign Devers. 

This deal could have been finalized weeks ago because Devers demands were well known in November. The only thing that changed since then was the opprobrium that resulted after the botched Bogaerts negotiations.  The hockey game demonstrated to Henry just how real the anger was. 
If the Sox did not secure Devers,  Henry must have realized that the Red Sox risked suffering the same attendance and rating collapse that the Orioles suffered after Angelos decided to overly economize.