Shortstop Possibilities?

Started by MongoLikeSox, December 27, 2022, 08:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

I know it is only a ST game but in my entire 70 plus years of following professional baseball I never recall anyone batting out of order in a pro ball game.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on March 27, 2023, 01:02:25 PM
It seems like every time I've had a chance to watch the Sox the past week or two they've been losing.  Of course it's as important as them winning every game the first 2 weeks, but given what we saw last year, concerning nonetheless.  I've really been trying to be optimistic this season but between the injuries, guys out of position, poor defense overall and the recent performance by our core starters and relievers, it's hard to get up or these guys, other than the chance that at least technically on Opening Day, hope springs eternal. 

I realized this profound lack of excitement when looking up a schedule to print.  Usually it goes right up on my desk when football season ends.  This year I'm printing it out three days before Opening Day.

Good luck to us!
I'm hoping for a super hot goalie and Aho to carry the team, and for both the 'Canes and Celtics to have long runs into the playoffs with schedules on alternating evenings.

<sigh> I know I'll end up turning the Red Sox on sooner than later. I'm taking the no XB thing much harder than I'm taking the no Betts thing. That, and knowing this team was just one simple low cost player away from having a solid defense to go along with the respectable, albeit not great offense. One frigging player away....

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on March 26, 2023, 09:57:47 AM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on March 26, 2023, 09:03:02 AM
I just looked at Franchy's stats. 44 ABs he's hitting .432 with 2 HRs and "only" 11Ks.
He's also got 3 errors in 10 fielding games on the stat sheet.

Franchy will be Franchy. :)

Yep, the season starts Thurs.  The real Franchy shows up.  Also sadly, the real Duran/Dalbec.

and we must not do what we did when traded back fdor Jackie Bradley after the 2021 season.  It would be just like Bloomer brain to take that bum back.  He has now failed with four teams and we must never have him on our ballclub again.

MongoLikeSox

Well, there's no question that Franchy can hit big when hot. A perfect storm roster situation for him would be to get called up about 5 days into a hot streak and get sent down the morning after one of his 3-K's game pops up. Repeat again in 45-90 days. And of course, emergency fielding use only.

He sure was fun to watch once in a while. A gold standard for stats-cast verses ballplayer argument. 

elktonnick

Scoring runs will not be this teams problem. They will score especially against weak pitching.  Their problems are weak pitching and a slow porous defense.  Consider this.  Right now their best defensive player is Devers.  Every where else they are below average defensively.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on March 28, 2023, 07:50:39 AM
Well, there's no question that Franchy can hit big when hot. A perfect storm roster situation for him would be to get called up about 5 days into a hot streak and get sent down the morning after one of his 3-K's game pops up. Repeat again in 45-90 days. And of course, emergency fielding use only.

He sure was fun to watch once in a while. A gold standard for stats-cast verses ballplayer argument.

No matter Mongo, the fact is that Franchy is a pitiful fielding first baseman, outfielder, base runner, and a strikeout machine who has now failed with the Padres, Royals, Red Sox and Orioles. If Bloom is  even dumber than I think and decides to give him another spot on our roster he should be fired at once.  What next?  Take Jackie Bradley Jr back too?

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on March 28, 2023, 04:08:35 PM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on March 28, 2023, 07:50:39 AM

No matter Mongo, the fact is that Franchy is a pitiful fielding first baseman, outfielder, base runner, and a strikeout machine who has now failed with the Padres, Royals, Red Sox and Orioles. If Bloom is  even dumber than I think and decides to give him another spot on our roster he should be fired at once.  What next?  Take Jackie Bradley Jr back too?

What’s scary Fred is that at some point they’re going to figure out they’re giving up too many runs in the outfield and they’ll make a bad move to “fix” it.

MongoLikeSox

The next group to interview for the upcoming vacancy has to describe baseball by way of explaining how Angel Hernandez could actually make 5 1B mistakes in the first few innings of a playoff or WS game a few years back. What are the odds, right? That's baseball. 

MongoLikeSox

I figured here is as good a place as any. We've been talking about the SS/2B situation all over the forum recently. Stuff's about to happen, what with the deadline looming, Story is on rehab assignment, Reyes coming back and the continuing saga of Kike Hernandez.

The first related transactions have occurred. Reyes has been reinstated, but the corresponding move to make room on the Active Roster is actually Walter. Nothing yet on who will be the odd man out in the MI. It could very well be Reyes. 

My biggest emotional fear is that Arroyo is the odd man out. Always hate to see a good ball-player go.   

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 25, 2023, 06:50:58 AM
I figured here is as good a place as any. We've been talking about the SS/2B situation all over the forum recently. Stuff's about to happen, what with the deadline looming, Story is on rehab assignment, Reyes coming back and the continuing saga of Kike Hernandez.

The first related transactions have occurred. Reyes has been reinstated, but the corresponding move to make room on the Active Roster is actually Walter. Nothing yet on who will be the odd man out in the MI. It could very well be Reyes. 

My biggest emotional fear is that Arroyo is the odd man out. Always hate to see a good ball-player go.

Looks like this week's trades could solve a lot of the mysteries.  As much as we need a pitcher(s), I've seen a lot of banter (reporting?) that Bloom could trade a package of Blaze Jordan, Arroyo or Kike', Wikelman or B.Walter to the Cardinals for pitcher Flaherty, INF DeJong, a switch hitter who also plays OF.

Also rumors the Chisox may be talking the same package for Lance Lynn, Joe Kelly, and INF Tim Anderson.  It's going to be a crazy week in Beantown.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 25, 2023, 08:05:02 AM

Looks like this week's trades could solve a lot of the mysteries.  As much as we need a pitcher(s), I've seen a lot of banter (reporting?) that Bloom could trade a package of Blaze Jordan, Arroyo or Kike', Wikelman or B.Walter to the Cardinals for pitcher Flaherty, INF DeJong, a switch hitter who also plays OF.

Also rumors the Chisox may be talking the same package for Lance Lynn, Joe Kelly, and INF Tim Anderson.  It's going to be a crazy week in Beantown.
Holy smokes! How about no, no, no, no and less see - NO!  Oh man, that is some serious has-been dumpster diving. The best non-Red Sox name mentioned in all of that is Flaherty who's got worse control than Pivetta. Anderson's years are behind him and is hitting .230 something last look. Joe Kelly and Lance Lynn are up over 6 ERA. Is there a sign on some MLB GM bulletin board that says "Sure, we'll give up  2-3 legit prospects for your problem players."? We bench Arroyo because he's hitting 240, but will trade good prospects away for guys hitting even less. I hope these are rumors started by other teams beat reporters instead of legitimate  considerations by our crack squad. Whatever, This would put the icing on the cake.

longgame

"Lance Lynn, Joe Kelly, and INF Tim Anderson"

That's a Bloom trifecta right there. Over the hill pitcher, former Sox guy and a guy who was the rage for all of one year but Bloom will be convinced he's the best option out there.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on July 25, 2023, 08:51:36 AM
"Lance Lynn, Joe Kelly, and INF Tim Anderson"

That's a Bloom trifecta right there. Over the hill pitcher, former Sox guy and a guy who was the rage for all of one year but Bloom will be convinced he's the best option out there.

I think Lynn would be a serviceable back end rotation pitcher.  I saw him against Angels, and he overpowered most of their lineup.  He's 3-2 in the last 5 with wins over Angels, Braves and Red Sox.  The bad loss was with Twins.  He can pitch 5-6 innings.  He's 6-9 this year, but had good years for Chisox in 21 and 22.

Staying with White Sox, we aren't getting Giolito or Cease without giving up a lot of our good prospects.  And a biggie, I don't think Bloom is respected that much as an Ops guy to pull the wool over anybody's eyes.  Now if he can roll the dice for another injured pitcher like Paxson and an injured OF like Schwarber, he will have to get really lucky again.  I don't think the fans are going to go too far with a guy who wants to get lucky.

longgame

Kike to Dodgers so there’s one part of the puzzle.  Two relievers in return.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 25, 2023, 08:40:14 AM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 25, 2023, 08:05:02 AM

Holy smokes! How about no, no, no, no and less see - NO!  Oh man, that is some serious has-been dumpster diving. The best non-Red Sox name mentioned in all of that is Flaherty who's got worse control than Pivetta. Anderson's years are behind him and is hitting .230 something last look. Joe Kelly and Lance Lynn are up over 6 ERA. Is there a sign on some MLB GM bulletin board that says "Sure, we'll give up  2-3 legit prospects for your problem players."? We bench Arroyo because he's hitting 240, but will trade good prospects away for guys hitting even less. I hope these are rumors started by other teams beat reporters instead of legitimate  considerations by our crack squad. Whatever, This would put the icing on the cake.

Hey Bloom,  DID YOU HEAR WHAT MY MAN MONGO SAID?????? Listen very carefully.  Do not take guys over the hill or on their downside.  And those White Soxers mentioned are on their downside and  two of them are attitude problems their team want to dump on some other team.  NO WAY!!!!!!