Shortstop Possibilities?

Started by MongoLikeSox, December 27, 2022, 08:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

Some guy(Joe Jaques) we picked up out of Indy ball k'd 3 in the last inning. I'm sure it was all minor leaguers at that point, but still...

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on March 23, 2023, 03:15:10 PM
The Sox pitching bounced back today at Pirates park.  Winchowski pitched 4 and surrendered 2 runs. Bleier, Sherriff and Brasier pitched a shutout in their innings of work.  Somebody named Guerrero gave up 2 runs.   Final 7-4.

Sox bats - 2 run homers each by Dalbec, Alfaro and R.Hernandez.  Casas injured a finger in the Wednesday game, but came back today, started 1B and got two hits.

It would be nice to finish strong in the Grapefruit League instead of huffing and puffing into the real season.....ur team may be too fragile to handle another slow start.

longgame

It seems tougher than ever to evaluate some of these guys.  They went from 2 innings to 80 pitches almost overnight so now guys are just throwing for endurance, not performance.  There are so many unknowns as guys are either new or coming off a bad season or had a good season and we’re waiting to see if it can be repeated. 

Good point someone made on Rodriguez as I had been thinking the same thing.  With him out 6 to 8 that’s a lot of time to cover for someone who may be the linchpin of that thing working. 

MongoLikeSox

I just looked at Franchy's stats. 44 ABs he's hitting .432 with 2 HRs and "only" 11Ks.
He's also got 3 errors in 10 fielding games on the stat sheet.

Franchy will be Franchy. :)

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on March 26, 2023, 09:03:02 AM
I just looked at Franchy's stats. 44 ABs he's hitting .432 with 2 HRs and "only" 11Ks.

Yep, the season starts Thurs.  The real Franchy shows up.  Also sadly, the real Duran/Dalbec.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on March 26, 2023, 09:57:47 AM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on March 26, 2023, 09:03:02 AM

Yep, the season starts Thurs.  The real Franchy shows up.  Also sadly, the real Duran/Dalbec.
The yearly Spring Training articles on renewed approaches, re-focused and re-dedicated mantras by those who struggled last year articles. Duran, Sale, Paxton, Sale and now Chang. Oh, and the article on how much Turner understands the importance of the #2 uniform by 'Sox fans. Lots of fluff. I didn't read them this year, though. I lesrnt my lesson.

elktonnick

This team is such a collection of mismatched socks (pun intended) I am surprised that they all appear game time wearing the same color jerseys.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on March 26, 2023, 02:30:10 PM
This team is such a collection of mismatched socks (pun intended) I am surprised that they all appear game time wearing the same color jerseys.

Well Elk, how about doing me a favor and tell what the hell Caleb Ort is still doing on our team.  The stuck sucked big time last year, his ERA this Spring is around 10.00 and he looks worse than ever.  Does Bloomer Boy or the FRC even have the ability to judge talent anymore.?

elktonnick

Wife and I saw Ort and Mosqueada pitch the other night.  Neither has any business on a major league roster.  I swear Bloom.picks pitchers blindfolded by throwing darts  against a wall.

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on March 26, 2023, 04:17:43 PM
Wife and I saw Ort and Mosqueada pitch the other night.  Neither has any business on a major league roster.  I swear Bloom.picks pitchers blindfolded by throwing darts  against a wall.

But even worse, he ends up really sticking with the wrong guys. Ort makes no sense at all. Then again what looked like it may be an improvement in the pen looks shakier than ever. 

Sea Dog 23

From doing the math, the ONLY value Ort has left is Bloom having to DFA two players to squeeze two other players onto the 40 man to start the season.  Two more arms  are needed to shore up the bullpen with Mills and JRod going on extended IL.  The easy DFA move going out is Ort for one, Brasier probably the other.

MongoLikeSox

Well, this was an easy prediction. Dalbec optioned to Worcester. The writing was on the wall, make that the MLB Red Sox site. They were pushing the Chang hype to no end. It's astonishing to me that he was where they landed.  :losers

What little I saw of ST, Dalbec showed no signs of plate management I was hoping he'd make. I could be wrong, of course. The even bigger decision for the Red Sox was that it would have cost us Chang. No options. Welllllll, whoooopde frigging do!!!! That would be a blow, right? Pfffttttttt

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on March 27, 2023, 10:59:09 AM
Well, this was an easy prediction. Dalbec optioned to Worcester. The writing was on the wall, make that the MLB Red Sox site. They were pushing the Chang hype to no end. It's astonishing to me that he was where they landed.  :losers

What little I saw of ST, Dalbec showed no signs of plate management I was hoping he'd make. I could be wrong, of course. The even bigger decision for the Red Sox was that it would have cost us Chang. No options. Welllllll, whoooopde frigging do!!!! That would be a blow, right? Pfffttttttt

Well Chang is so talented that he could not get past immigration at the airport, coming back from the WBC in the homeland.  Visa problems.  I see that he did make the starting lineup against the Braves today, playing 2B and batting 9th.

longgame

It seems like every time I've had a chance to watch the Sox the past week or two they've been losing.  Of course it's as important as them winning every game the first 2 weeks, but given what we saw last year, concerning nonetheless.  I've really been trying to be optimistic this season but between the injuries, guys out of position, poor defense overall and the recent performance by our core starters and relievers, it's hard to get up or these guys, other than the chance that at least technically on Opening Day, hope springs eternal. 

I realized this profound lack of excitement when looking up a schedule to print.  Usually it goes right up on my desk when football season ends.  This year I'm printing it out three days before Opening Day.

Good luck to us! 

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on March 27, 2023, 12:33:48 PM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on March 27, 2023, 10:59:09 AM

Well Chang is so talented that he could not get past immigration at the airport, coming back from the WBC in the homeland.  Visa problems.  I see that he did make the starting lineup against the Braves today, playing 2B and batting 9th.

I'll have to tip my hat to Mr. Chang.  He broke up a no-hitter today in the 6th with a double.  Sox A team vs Braves A team.  Sox are apparently bored at the plate as Atlanta has shown them six different pitchers before our new guy figured out that the game is near stretch time.  Meanwhile Houck get bombed for six runs in three innings (three of those were long balls).    6-0 Bravos.