Shortstop Possibilities?

Started by MongoLikeSox, December 27, 2022, 08:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on December 27, 2022, 08:25:52 AM
So, now - what to do at SS now that our anchor is gone? Several options I've seen discussed. In true Bloom fashion, the move will come along as one that will weaken another position. It might also include a questionable element, such as someone who has not played SS since Little League, but performed well during the now illegal defensive shifts when fielding the spot.

Options
Kike Hernandez - Can he start 145 games and do well at SS? What about CF? This move would weaken CF and give us average SS at best. Look for it to happen, right?
Trevor Story - I know this is not the most commonly shared opinion, but I think Trevor Story at 2B is a massive advantage over most competition when combining defensive and offensive production. His arm at SS puts him into the iffy category. So, we'd weaken one position to stop-gap solve another? A typical Bloom move. Perhaps he does intend on putting Enmanual Valdez in at 2b to sell the unpopular Vasquez trade.
Jose Iglesias - This is my favorite option. He's a proven professional that can hit a little bit. He'd be good for .260-ish, which is not bad in today's game. He's got very little power, though, and might not look great with some modern range stats as he ages. Still, he's solid and is low cost in both money and zero trade cost being a FA. He also allows zero disruption to CF and 2B as Kike and Story get to stay put. He's a ball player and Cora likes him. All this adds up to Bloom not doing this. Not his style. Bloom does not understand the value of a ball player.
Elvis Andrus - He's a Free Agent, but I'm not suere how/why. He passed the vesting option criteria. Odd. Anyhow. he's got a little more power that Iglesias. He did not hit for average well in Oakland. I do not recall his defensive prowess from his Ranger days and more recent stint with Oakland. This option might be more expensive than Iglesias. Again, straight up FA (no prospects lost)
Farm System Options - (Rafaela, Hamilton, Fitzgerald) Nothing's ready.
Trade Options - I've seen two names mentioned. Wendle from Miami, previous platoon 3b of the Rays is the scarier one. Adames of the Brewers, but I read the Brewers are not even considering the notion. Anything trade is scary right now because of who we have running the show.

I think after writing everything out, I like the least disruptive option(s) of Iglesias or Andrus. Leave existing strengths alone. BUT, I'm not as smart as Bloom.

Leave Christian Arroyo alone.  If he can stay healthy he is a good hitter with clutch ability and is a very underrated second baseman.  My fear is that Cora is going to try and be the smartest man in the room again and give the job to Valdez which would also please Bloom no  end as well.  I would go Andrus as you would and keep Kiki in center field.  Then, again, who knows what drifts into the alleged minds of the boopsie twins?

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on March 16, 2023, 02:24:28 PM
So, now - what to do at SS now that our anchor is gone? Several options I've seen discussed. In true Bloom fashion, the move will come along as one that will weaken another position. It might also include a questionable element, such as someone who has not played SS since Little League, but performed well during the now illegal defensive shifts when fielding the spot.

Options
Kike Hernandez - Can he start 145 games and do well at SS? What about CF? This move would weaken CF and give us average SS at best. Look for it to happen, right?
Trevor Story - I know this is not the most commonly shared opinion, but I think Trevor Story at 2B is a massive advantage over most competition when combining defensive and offensive production. His arm at SS puts him into the iffy category. So, we'd weaken one position to stop-gap solve another? A typical Bloom move. Perhaps he does intend on putting Enmanual Valdez in at 2b to sell the unpopular Vasquez trade.
Jose Iglesias - This is my favorite option. He's a proven professional that can hit a little bit. He'd be good for .260-ish, which is not bad in today's game. He's got very little power, though, and might not look great with some modern range stats as he ages. Still, he's solid and is low cost in both money and zero trade cost being a FA. He also allows zero disruption to CF and 2B as Kike and Story get to stay put. He's a ball player and Cora likes him. All this adds up to Bloom not doing this. Not his style. Bloom does not understand the value of a ball player.
Elvis Andrus - He's a Free Agent, but I'm not suere how/why. He passed the vesting option criteria. Odd. Anyhow. he's got a little more power that Iglesias. He did not hit for average well in Oakland. I do not recall his defensive prowess from his Ranger days and more recent stint with Oakland. This option might be more expensive than Iglesias. Again, straight up FA (no prospects lost)
Trade Options - I've seen two names mentioned. Wendle from Miami, previous platoon 3b of the Rays is the scarier one. Adames of the Brewers, but I read the Brewers are not even considering the notion. Anything trade is scary right now because of who we have running the show.

I think after writing everything out, I like the least disruptive option(s) of Iglesias or Andrus. Leave existing strengths alone. BUT, I'm not as smart as Bloom.

Leave Christian Arroyo alone.  If he can stay healthy he is a good hitter with clutch ability and is a very underrated second baseman.  My fear is that Cora is going to try and be the smartest man in the room again and give the job to Valdez which would also please Bloom no  end as well.  I would go Andrus as you would and keep Kiki in center field.  Then, again, who knows what drifts into the alleged minds of the boopsie twins?

Fred, I saw that ChiSox signed Andrus about two weeks ago to play 2B.  Tim Anderson is their SS.  I think Bloom has a dream for Kike' at SS, with a parade of fill-ins atSS like Mondesi, D.Hamilton, and maybe he gets 4-5 weeks out of Story.  Heck, he even had Dalbec playing SS this week.  I have a bad feeling Duvall will be a strikeout machine, making him a platoon player in CF.  That may blowup Bloom"s plan to keep Kike at SS.  It's a real puzzle he has put together this year.

MongoLikeSox

I like the idea of Dalbec getting some ST reps at SS. He played once there last season and did OK. It might be his natural position like many Major League players growing up. I doubt that he will never be a weapon there, but the 3rd-4th option does not really have to be. 

Remember, this kid could yawn his way to 30 HRs if he ever learns and adjusts to MLB pitching.

I agree with leaving Arroyo in place as long as he can stay off the IL for the longer stretches of time. While not a true weapon as a defender, he is very solid. I think last year he went over 100 games at 2B without an error. Might have combined some of 2021 to get there.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on March 16, 2023, 04:08:18 PM

Options

Fred, I saw that ChiSox signed Andrus about two weeks ago to play 2B.  Tim Anderson is their SS.  I think Bloom has a dream for Kike' at SS, with a parade of fill-ins atSS like Mondesi, D.Hamilton, and maybe he gets 4-5 weeks out of Story.  Heck, he even had Dalbec playing SS this week.  I have a bad feeling Duvall will be a strikeout machine, making him a platoon player in CF.  That may blowup Bloom"s plan to keep Kike at SS.  It's a real puzzle he has put together this year.

Hey Dog, this time it might be a good idea for me to cram it.  After all, I was behind the curve again and unaware that Andrus had already signed.  Serves me right for missing the goings-on on this board daily.  Duvall will strike out a lot but he hits with power and we need RH power on our team this season.  Maybe he will hit enough taters and bring hone enough runs to make his strikeouts less onerous. It would held if Dalbeck could do the same.  Thanks for correcting me---and feel free to do so when I am in error.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on March 17, 2023, 07:54:52 AM
I like the idea of Dalbec getting some ST reps at SS. He played once there last season and did OK. It might be his natural position like many Major League players growing up. I doubt that he will never be a weapon there, but the 3rd-4th option does not really have to be. 

Remember, this kid could yawn his way to 30 HRs if he ever learns and adjusts to MLB pitching.

I agree with leaving Arroyo in place as long as he can stay off the IL for the longer stretches of time. While not a true weapon as a defender, he is very solid. I think last year he went over 100 games at 2B without an error. Might have combined some of 2021 to get there.

Interesting take on Dalbec my friend.  Who knows?  He might finally put his talents togeether and since we aren't going  deep into the playoffs this season or maybe not even getting there, well to me it would be fine to give Bobby another shot at success if it will keep Cora's new favorite Valdez out of Boston.

Sea Dog 23

The Sox starting pitchers are still finding their way through Spring workouts.  Kluber had a good start this week, but he was throwing 87-88 luckily hitting his spots.  Pivetta did OK, but the AAA relievers have made a mess of things.  Shugart on Wed and the slime bucket named Ort imploded again today.  Houck did OK against Atlanta, but he ran out of gas stretching it through 5. 

Kluber is set to start the opener against Baltimore, Sale in game 2.  MGT and the fans will be holding their breath whan Sale goes out there.  I have no idea who pitches #4 or #5.  They say we won't need a #5 until about April 18.

Sea Dog 23

Split squad game today with Balt. at Ft Myers.  Good news, the WBC guys are filtering back to camp.  Devers is having a good day with a couple hits.  Otherwise, Duvall has himself a two-run job over the monster, Arroyo with a couple hits.  Kutter Crawford had a good couple innings, but gave up some walks.  Last I looked it was 9-5 for Sox. A fly in the ointment, Joele Rodriguez was pulled after injuring his arm in relief.  Did not look good (to the IL?)  Who will step in as a lefty.  Bleier for one and for another maybe Sherriff.

The other club is at Rays with Winchowski pitching, also the young phenoms are playing with SS Marcel Mayer getting a hit.  Bleis is in CF today.

MongoLikeSox

I just read it was something in the torso and they should know something tomorrow.

Sea Dog 23

The Sox are at home today.  But there is evidence they have players playing out of position.  Sox gave up Pirates first three runs on three errors, by CF Duvall (fielding), SS Kike' (throwing), LF Tapia (fielding).  Now they are down 7-2.  Many folks say, Kike' is a better CF than SS, Duvall is better in LF than CF, and Tapia is risky playing anywhere in the field.  The parting of Bogaerts, coupled with the Story injury,
has caused a ripple effect out in the field as a result.

In better news today, Turner has returned to the lineup and has a hit and a walk in three at bats.  Duval has a double and an RBI.  Also in Sunday's game at Phillies' park, Brayan Bello returned to the mound and pitched two innings of no-hit ball with three K's.  Although those innings were against the Phillies AA and AAA batters.

Sea Dog 23

Sox pitching is getting rocked.  Jet Blue game Today Houck  has allowed 8 runs to Twins. in 4.2 IP.  Martin 2 runs in 1 IP.  10-0.

Yesterday Sale gave up 6 runs in 5. They play for real next week.  Buckle up, my friends.

MongoLikeSox

I actually watched some of this game last night as well as a couple innings of the Sale start. 'oy!!!  Pretty much a reminder whay I don't watch Spring Training.

Winckowski vs Crawford for the "temporary" spot until Whitlock gets back. Each are starting today with an A/B squad home and away thing. Both pitched well according to the stats sheet. Based on last year alone, I'd say Crawford. But I've seen neither this year and  no idea what each is sporting. My quotes for temporary is my faith in the other 4 starters actually making it to April.

Isn't it funny how the Red Sox BP falls apart with Joely Rodriguez out? That's the buzz. The hole left by Joely is what I keep seeing. He's been touted as one of the 3 big BP acquisitions for this greatly improved BP core. I don't get it. His last two seasons' ERA have been 4.66 and 4.47. The Sox were 14th in the AL in ERA last season with a 4.53. How, exactly, is Joely so damned important that we're talking like his injury is a blow? I'm very sorry for him that he's injured. I'm just not getting it.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on March 23, 2023, 07:47:19 AM
I actually watched some of this game last night as well as a couple innings of the Sale start. 'oy!!!  Pretty much a reminder whay I don't watch Spring Training.

Winckowski vs Crawford for the "temporary" spot until Whitlock gets back. Each are starting today with an A/B squad home and away thing. Both pitched well according to the stats sheet. Based on last year alone, I'd say Crawford. But I've seen neither this year and  no idea what each is sporting. My quotes for temporary is my faith in the other 4 starters actually making it to April.

Isn't it funny how the Red Sox BP falls apart with Joely Rodriguez out? That's the buzz. The hole left by Joely is what I keep seeing. He's been touted as one of the 3 big BP acquisitions for this greatly improved BP core. I don't get it. His last two seasons' ERA have been 4.66 and 4.47. The Sox were 14th in the AL in ERA last season with a 4.53. How, exactly, is Joely so damned important that we're talking like his injury is a blow? I'm very sorry for him that he's injured. I'm just not getting it.

Actually a few of those BP guys give me pause.  Jansen is not exactly a spring chicken.  He's in the twilight of his career.  I'm telling myself that Bloom signed him BEFORE he knew there was a pitch clock, because Jansen's me chanics are almost the slowest in baseball.  Then he can only keep 10% of runners on first base, coupled with McGuire's inability to throw out base stealers!  Schreiber had his best year in 22 and is due for a come down.  Brasier will be Brasier,  Ort needs to leave town this week to let one of the youngsters get their time on this team.  Thank gawd they found that Bleier was available, as I think he will be the standout in the BP.

MongoLikeSox

There was not much on the market in the way of Closers once the Mets resigned Diaz in quick fashion. (What a gutwrendhing injury for them, btw. Ouch!)

Ort has an arm, but it just does not translate.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on March 23, 2023, 09:01:03 AM
There was not much on the market in the way of Closers once the Mets resigned Diaz in quick fashion. (What a gutwrendhing injury for them, btw. Ouch!)

Ort has an arm, but it just does not translate.

Injury report on pitchers from Chad Jennings,
Short-term injuries are piling up on the Red Sox pitching staff.
Reliever Wyatt Mills is being shut down for several days with elbow inflammation. Like Whitlock, Bello, Paxton and Rodriguez, he isn't expected to miss a lot of time, but timing isn't great so close to Opening Day.

Joely Rodriguez is out for 6-8 weeks with the oblique. 

Sea Dog 23

The Sox pitching bounced back today at Pirates park.  Winchowski pitched 4 and surrendered 2 runs. Bleier, Sherriff and Brasier pitched a shutout in their innings of work.  Somebody named Guerrero gave up 2 runs.   Final 7-4.

Sox bats - 2 run homers each by Dalbec, Alfaro and R.Hernandez.  Casas injured a finger in the Wednesday game, but came back today, started 1B and got two hits.