Main Menu

Friday Spring Game

Started by Sea Dog 23, March 24, 2023, 05:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

Atlanta is in town, playing their A team.  Sox have what looks like their opening day lineup out there.

Pivetta is missing location in the first 4 innings.  Bravos have 7 hits and just got a solo homer in the 4th.  Now Sox 2-1. Devers drew a walk in the 3rd, and Turner with a blast into the RF bullpen.

Sea Dog 23

Through 5 innings the Sox have not been clutch in some of their at bats.  Twice hitting into DPs.  In two innings they have left two runners stranded.  Contribute some of that to Braves young pitcher Dodd who has been clutch.  Pivetta has thrown a lot of pitches (I don't think they count them in the spring.  But like last year, his bugaboo is missing high  out of the zone.

DOB just said 95 pitches for Pivetta, giving 10 hits.  Now 2-2 in the 6th.  (the scorer went back and gave Braves a run in the 4th when Raffy tagged out a runner at 3rd, just after a run had scored they ruled)

In their 6th Duvall doubled, sac'd to 3rd.  Scored on an Arroyo hit.  Refsnyder doubled home two runs.  Sox up 5-2 end of 6.

Sea Dog 23

On to the 8th , Martin had an awful inning for a set up man.  Two quick outs, then 4 hits and a walk.  2 runs against minor leaguers. 5-5.  Sox 8th,  2 runs on an Arroyo hit, Kike double and Refsnyder double.  7-5.

Can Jansen get the save?  No, a two run blast by an unknown Braves batter.  Jansen is then pulled, grabbing at his back.  More drama for the Sox.

Sea Dog 23

Bravos got 3 on Jansen and a guy named Booser.  8-7 ATL.

Sox then get a Duran double and a Casas walk off blast.  9-8.

elktonnick

We were at the game. While one ST game is hardly indicative of anything, We saw nothing to change our opinion ( my wife and mine.) that this is not a very good team. One that is probably destined to lose more than they win in 23 without major acquisitions.
First the obvious, they have no closer and the rest of the bullpen is largely mediocre. Secondly their infield defense is static with very limited range.  Kike Hernandez is a better centerfielder than shortstop and he is at best an average centerfielder.  Teams will get a lot of infield hits off the redsox.
As for the outfield Rob Refsnyder is probably their best defensive outfielder and he won't start.
While I suspect the Red Sox will score a lot of runs their weak pitching and mediocre defense means they will give up more.  Expect a frustrating season.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: elktonnick on March 24, 2023, 09:12:45 PM
We were at the game. While one ST game is hardly indicative of anything, We saw nothing to change our opinion ( my wife and mine.) that this is not a very good team. One that is probably destined to lose more than they win in 23 without major acquisitions.
First the obvious, they have no closer and the rest of the bullpen is largely mediocre. Secondly their infield defense is static with very limited range.  Kike Hernandez is a better centerfielder than shortstop and he is at best an average centerfielder.  Teams will get a lot of infield hits off the redsox.
As for the outfield Rob Refsnyder is probably their best defensive outfielder and he won't start.
While I suspect the Red Sox will score a lot of runs their weak pitching and mediocre defense means they will give up more.  Expect a frustrating season.

The signing of some of the older pitchers long in the tooth, may be a big caveat for this team.  Rich Hill last year, Kluber who can now only throw an 88 fastball, then Martin and Jansen.  Martin with two bad outings this week.

I forgot this, but I read overnight that Jantsen has a history of some heart conditions.  Cora said he was not injured, just "sweating, dehydrated, and dizzy." Wow!  There's some talk of signing another BP arm with JRod and Mills going down.

elktonnick

It was not that hot last night.  If Jansen had those symptoms after that short an outing he really needs a major medical evaluation.

Sea Dog 23

Kluber on the mound today at Rays.  The game itself has no bearing, however this is likely Kluber's last start before he faces Orioles in the opener on Thursday.  So he should be getting ready for reality.  In his 4 innings he gave up a homer in the first (second batter).  Clean innings in 2 and 3.  Yielded a 2-run double in the 4th.
So far 4 hits, 1K, 2 BB.  The Sox are in the 5th, down 3-2 with all minor leaguers.

elktonnick

TB runner steals home.  Red Sox can find more ways to give up runs.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: elktonnick on March 25, 2023, 01:54:42 PM
TB runner steals home.  Red Sox can find more ways to give up runs.
We already knew how to do that one. Without knowing the specifics of the play you're talking about, we play stats-ball, not base-ball. We play the hitter and double-dog-dare the runner on 3rd to try to steal home. Arozarena did it to us at least once. I think it was in the 2021 playoffs. It was a gift that I bet even Cora saw coming.

Sea Dog 23

Final Spring game today at Jet Blue.  Braves score on a FC in the 1st.  Kutter Crawford bringing it today.  1-0.

Sox half of 1st.  Devers strokes a double.  Yoshida with a towering shot into the RF seats.  2-1.

elktonnick

Thus far this game illustrates my point that Boston will have no problem scoring but will have problems preventing the other team scoring.  Duvall once again failed to run down a fly ball that was catchable.

Sea Dog 23

elk, you guessed it.  Casas hits a solo homer in the 2nd.  3-1.

Atlanta then puts up a 3-spot on Kutter in the 3rd.  Now 4-3 Braves.

Sea Dog 23

In the 5th Bleier gets two quick outs, then a walk and a long single off the wall.  Duran then muffs a shoe-topper in LF allowing another run.  Now 6-3.  Obviously these AAAA players will not be around to make these tiresome mistakes on Thursday.  Hopefully.

longgame

That ends the spring session with a 14-14 record.  Certainly no reason to think they’re any better than a .500 team.  Now onto starting the season at home with all the joy of April in Boston and then onto Detroit after that.  Somehow I suspect the bats will also got cold, but not those of their opponents.