The All Rejected the Red Sox Team - WIP

Started by MongoLikeSox, December 02, 2022, 09:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on February 06, 2023, 08:44:35 AM
I would think time is on our side with Wacha.  For some reason nobody has snapped him up which surprises me.  Not that time and Bloom work well together.

It's gotten to the point Ted where Bloom and SNAFU are  totally interchangeable.  It still astounds me that the guy can be so inept and even worse in evaluating talent.  We better hope that our guys have above average years across the board because we will need that to have any chance in hell to make the post season as it now stands.  As for Wacha, perhaps his last two assignments last season might have scared a few teams off, but we have the money to sign him.  I also don't think time is on our side with Wacha either.  Bloom has shown an amazing capacity to gumming up every thing he puts his palsied hands on.

MongoLikeSox

I just added Noah Song to the big team.

You might remember Song was Rule-5'd by the Phillies. Bloom left him off the 40-man Roster keeping any number on yay-hoos that had nowhere near the MLB potential as Song. Then again, the risk of losing him was low. Who is going to draft him? Seems like a big risk. No way he is going to be able to pitch in the MLB was their thought.

Where he made a mistake is the gamble is worth it. It's only a $100k gamble. That's nothing in an industry that will absorb $7M in payroll to trade for Franklin German. One of his competitors already made a huge gamble to get him, and it would not be the first former 'Sox farmhand that he's snagged.

The real question is why would Bloom, of all people, thing that someone would NOT try for Song? Bloom himself has snagged a guy with not even AA experience because he liked his athletisism, knowing full well that he was going to have to compete at the MLB level to keep him.

So instead of protecting a former college pitcher of the year, they made a risk and it bit them. Now he could show up in ST this year and do well and make the team or he could bomb and be deemed too risky to try him on the big club. It's either going to be a major coup for Dombrowski or a $50k risk that didn't work out.

The silver lining for the Sox is that if it's a big win for the phillies, it's a major fail for Bloom, and could have the effect of being the final nail on Blooms' coffin. This is gonna get interesting.

longgame

The chances of him making the team and staying on it all year are slim with the Phillies so it's likely he'll come back.  Can't protect everyone after all.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on February 23, 2023, 08:24:39 AM
The chances of him making the team and staying on it all year are slim with the Phillies so it's likely he'll come back.  Can't protect everyone after all.
Very true. Should be interesting in the very least.