The All Rejected the Red Sox Team - WIP

Started by MongoLikeSox, December 02, 2022, 09:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on December 17, 2022, 03:59:14 PM
Well, Fred, Swanson signed with the Cubs - 7 years, $177M. I put him on the Rejected Team. I think XB will have to play 3B. LOL

Rumblings already has Machado opting out after next season after 5 years, $150M and turning down the same amount. He might not rake bigger bucks per year, but he might be able to double the contract length. Massive money.

Well Mongo I did get it wrong with Devers but have become convinced that when Henry saw the fans rip him a new butt at that hockey game at Fenway he probably decided the fans had had enough of his penny pinching ways.  Surprised it took that long for him to get it but he has always been described at having miserable people skills.  Remember he is the only member of the Red So front office WHO DID NOT CONGRATULATE DAVE DOMBROWSKI WHEN HE LED THE PHILLIES TO THE NL PENNANT.  Henry and Bloom, two worms in a hole.

elktonnick

LOL Good one! Fred  Soup from the shadow of a scare crow!!!  9

longgame

They were so happy Devers saved them from being run out of town that they are now simply basking the glow, leaking out stories as to what a great job they did to finally sign someone.

Sea Dog 23

One small move today, they signed catcher Jorge Alfaro to a minor league deal, and he can earn $2 mil if he makes the Boston lineup over Connor Wong. A Spring invitee. He caught for Padres last year. Swings right, could platoon with McGuire who swings lefty.  However at bat, he has a K rate of 34 and a walk rate of only 4%.

Alfaro is a career .256 hitter with 47 homers, 194 RBIs and a .701 OPS in 478 major league games with the Phillies (2016-18), Marlins (2019-21) and Padres (2022).

MongoLikeSox

I was looking at Alfaro's Caught Steeling numbers last night. 5 of 30. Used to have some good CS numbers before the last season or two.

This has to just be a depth piece, right? I mean, Connor Wong can pull off those offensive numbers with far less K's. They at least supposedly liked Wong behind the plate last season. If Alfaro challenges Wong for a spot and edges him out or we use Wong's last Option just to appease Alfaro, we gain nothing. We lose a chance to develop what might not be more than an OK catcher, but it's better than nothing.

Yes, I fear History repeating itself. We can't finish the job of developing talent anymore. 

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on January 16, 2023, 06:11:58 PM
They were so happy Devers saved them from being run out of town that they are now simply basking the glow, leaking out stories as to what a great job they did to finally sign someone.
That coming out while the Story story unfolded is a great example of the dark cloud hanging over this group. Most of it is their own doing, but the timing of Story's procedure and subsequent news stole so much wind out of that Devers signing sail is compounded bad ju-ju of some sort. 

One can't even fathom the epic failure of this off-season yet. It started at the trade deadline. It's layered in cluster-f*** with what in the hell were you thinking icing and melted Baghdad Bob BS Ice Cream on the side. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on January 17, 2023, 06:00:28 AM
I was looking at Alfaro's Caught Steeling numbers last night. 5 of 30. Used to have some good CS numbers before the last season or two.

This has to just be a depth piece, right? I mean, Connor Wong can pull off those offensive numbers with far less K's. They at least supposedly liked Wong behind the plate last season. If Alfaro challenges Wong for a spot and edges him out or we use Wong's last Option just to appease Alfaro, we gain nothing. We lose a chance to develop what might not be more than an OK catcher, but it's better than nothing.

Yes, I fear History repeating itself. We can't finish the job of developing talent anymore.

It's called ineptness Mongo.  Alfaro leads the league in only one category====EATING!!!!!!!  The guy is a far slob who can no longer run and can no longer throw and while Wing Wang is a sorry leftover to that disastrous Mookie Betts trade, he is young enough and in shape enough to be given a chance teo make the team and perform.  Alfaro failed with the Padres and he will fail with us, which seems to be our reputation anyway.  Anyone remember Franchy or Downs, both three time losers?  We seem to have b ecome a haven for those type of bums.

longgame

Fred you've been on a roll lately!  Leads the league in eating.  Maybe they can bring back Pablo Sandoval as a conditioning coach!

MongoLikeSox

Maybe we go get Big Sexy next? Probably still able to pitch. :)

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on January 17, 2023, 02:47:21 PM
Fred you've been on a roll lately!  Leads the league in eating.  Maybe they can bring back Pablo Sandoval as a conditioning coach!

Well I've been thinking of my buddies on this board and I know you guys are as frustrated and angry as I am with the rotten turn of events during this "Hot Stove" farce we're participating in so a few laughs can only help.  Now I hear that Bloom is interested in Duvall as a RH power hitter who could hit 20-25 homers for us......if he still has something left and if Bloom can pull the trigger for a change.  Then again, who knows how much he has left from his 38 homer season in 2021.  We'll we should know more in about two weeks just where we're at.  At least we signed Devers long term.

MongoLikeSox

I've added Barnes, Taylor and Pham to the departed section of the team. The team is up to 15 plus another 8 that are getting opportunities elsewhere.

MongoLikeSox

I added Franklin German to the depth squad and moved 3 players to the main team as the plans for all include breaking camp with their big league teams.

The team ends up being mostly made up of DFA cast-offs/trades, Free Agents we lost and free agents we seriously targeted that went elsewhere. I'm sure I'll add one more once Michael Wacha signs somewhere.

The club has no CF or 2B. I thought both Duran and Dalbec might both be moved and subsequently added. Hoy Park, part of the strangest series of early off-season dealings we've seen, will move to the big team and play 2b if he breaks camp with the Braves(??).

There is a full rotation and most of a bullpen. It will change if/when we add Wacha when he signs. Closer by committee and has Nasty Nate leading the way as the quasi ace. 

Here's the projected line-up. I anticipate at least one addition before ST starts, and then several after we break camp. It lacks potential free-agent signings ATM because I was never really sure how aggressively we pursued other players, like potential SS, 2B, OF and other reliever types.

1. Bogey(R) - 3B
2. Hosmer(L) - 1B
3. Swanson(R) - SS
4. Abreau(R) - DH
5. Haniger(R) - RF
6. JDM(R) - LF
7. Pham(R) - CF
8. Vasquez(R) - C
9. Park(L)* - 2B

SP - Eovaldi, Heaney, Hill, Eflin, Ward*
RP - Barnes, Strahm, Kahnle, Taylor, Politi*

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on February 04, 2023, 09:10:21 AM
I added Franklin German to the depth squad and moved 3 players to the main team as the plans for all include breaking camp with their big league teams.

The team ends up being mostly made up of DFA cast-offs/trades, Free Agents we lost and free agents we seriously targeted that went elsewhere. I'm sure I'll add one more once Michael Wacha signs somewhere.

The club has no CF or 2B. I thought both Duran and Dalbec might both be moved and subsequently added. Hoy Park, part of the strangest series of early off-season dealings we've seen, will move to the big team and play 2b if he breaks camp with the Braves(??).

There is a full rotation and most of a bullpen. It will change if/when we add Wacha when he signs. Closer by committee and has Nasty Nate leading the way as the quasi ace. 

Here's the projected line-up. I anticipate at least one addition before ST starts, and then several after we break camp. It lacks potential free-agent signings ATM because I was never really sure how aggressively we pursued other players, like potential SS, 2B, OF and other reliever types.

1. Bogey(R) - 3B
2. Hosmer(L) - 1B
3. Swanson(R) - SS
4. Abreau(R) - DH
5. Haniger(R) - RF
6. JDM(R) - LF
7. Pham(R) - CF
8. Vasquez(R) - C
9. Park(L)* - 2B

SP - Eovaldi, Heaney, Hill, Eflin, Ward*
RP - Barnes, Strahm, Kahnle, Taylor, Politi*

To me there is no excuse for not signing <Michael Wacha. The guy wants two years and Bloom is once again risking losing one of the few good bargains left.  He was arguably our best pitcher last season.  What the hell is a two year contract for him instead of one?  Shit, we gave Barnes a new three year deal after only three mon ths of quality pitching after years of  near total ineptness and then had to get rid of him because he stunk after those three good months.  Sign Michael Wacha you incompetent buffoon Bloom.

MongoLikeSox

I've seen conflicting reports on Wacha's requests. They all agree he wants 2 years, but one report says $15M per year and the other one says $15M total. Eovaldi got 2 years, $34M IIRC, and that's with questionable velocity as a big cloud.

longgame

I would think time is on our side with Wacha.  For some reason nobody has snapped him up which surprises me.  Not that time and Bloom work well together.