Blooms moves or lack thereof

Started by elktonnick, November 27, 2022, 04:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

Digging at least the effort to have a good closer. Jansen is past his prime and will struggle for a month or so on end. Closed for the Braves last season and had some loud outings in the playoffs FWIR.

Just looked up - 41 saves and 7 blown last season. Beats 7 blown and 2 saved. LOL   Also posted a 3.38 ERA. Not quite as dominant as before, but it's something. Only a two year deal. Maybe he'll be a good influence on German to get that arm of his matured and ready to roll before it's all done.

Worse comes to worse, we pull off another Heathcliff Slocumb and trade him to the Mariners for a 15 year catcher and #2 pitcher. :)

longgame

The key will be using him correctly.  Maybe Houck gets some of the 3 run saves and you save him for the closer ones.  Oh wait, I forgot Cora is our manager and he'll throw 50 innings by the ASB!  But hey if he takes innings that would otherwise go to Barnes it's a plus, right?

MongoLikeSox

We got reamed in the rule-5. Thad Ward will be playing for the Nationals next season unless his arm falls off. Politi was a surprise. He'll be on the Orioles unless offered back.

The shrewd move of the day - Noah Song by Mr Dombrowski - again. Makes me wonder what the status of the Military release was that they didn't protect him. He'll have to stick in the Majors. $50k risk at the worst, right? They gotta offer him back to the Sox if he's not on the team. That's gonna be something to watch. I wonder if anyone had any whispers of a workout on him or something.

edit: So 5 years when we marvel at what we gave away in 2022, just think of the roster spots that Jolie Rodriquez and Hoy Park took up. Park being high K, low average left handed hitting 2B that got unclaimed on Waivers and we still traded something for him.  The cost of that mess is a combination of Thad Ward, Noah Song and Inmer Lobo. It's a similar concept to "Lost Economic Opportunity" when we start clogging up 40-man roster spots. Yes, the Song situation is different, of course. Still - grrrr 

MongoLikeSox

Holy crap! We got Yoshida. 5 years, 90M. Heavy on contact type hitter. Didn't even post until today.

elktonnick

I give Bloom props on this one.  It is a sound gamble. Now let's get a SS/2baseman

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on December 07, 2022, 05:53:58 PM
Holy crap! We got Yoshida. 5 years, 90M. Heavy on contact type hitter. Didn't even post until today.

Yoshida I think projects as a DH only.  He reportedly is not a good INF or OF prospect in MLB.

At 5'8 176, he could be our next Pedroia in the leadoff slot.

MongoLikeSox

Drats! I had read yesterday that he was supposed to be "solid" OF or something.

I was just looking at his stats. I hope he's a better base runner than 4SB two seasons ago and none last year. Career OPS over 950 based mostly on contact and OBP. That's downright impressive these days. Still hit 21 HRs in 110-120 games the past two seasons. If he can get around the base paths OK, we might be golden.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on December 07, 2022, 06:20:47 PM

I was just looking at his stats. I hope he's a better base runner than 4SB two seasons ago and none last year. Career OPS over 950 based mostly on contact and OBP. That's downright impressive these days. Still hit 21 HRs in 110-120 games the past two seasons. If he can get around the base paths OK, we might be golden.

From Passan

Yoshida, 29, is an on-base machine who led Nippon Professional Baseball in OPS the last two seasons. His bat-to-ball skills are absolutely world-class: just 41 strikeouts in 508 plate appearances, with 80 walks. Only Luis Arraez had a lower strikeout rate in MLB last season.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 04, 2022, 06:07:16 PM
Quote from: elktonnick on December 04, 2022, 05:48:35 PM
According to Peter Abraham the Red Sox have not yet made a competitive offer to Bogaerts.  This certainly supports the thesis that the FO is scamming their fans about their sincerity to re-sign Bogey

The SS market looks like it is about to break.  A story today that Swanson will sign (with someone) on Dec 9.  Not sure what to make of this Bogey thing, maybe Boras bluster.  But someone is either lying, or another somone will look like a fool.

Boras fooled the Brewers last off season by plying a decent contract for the miserable JBJ, two years of 12 million from what I remember and an option for the third.  But the Brewers knew they got fleeced and dumped him back on Bloomer boy and two disgusting prospects who shit the bed last summer.  We are still paying him too next season from what I have also heard.  Boras knows that Bogaerts is not drawing the interest that most of you out there believe so he is putting phantom teams and rumors  that other teams are involved.  It's his SOP.  Still I'd rather have Bogey than no one at SS, though I think Dansby Swanson would cost less and you wouldn't have Boras to deal with.  But the SS has to be a RH hitter because the OF we signed from Japan, a good hitter there, is a lefty and we already have lefties at first, third, right and now left.  The catcher, DH, second baseman had also better be righties or we'll face every lefty in Christendom next season.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on December 07, 2022, 02:36:09 PM
Digging at least the effort to have a good closer. Jansen is past his prime and will struggle for a month or so on end. Closed for the Braves last season and had some loud outings in the playoffs FWIR.

Just looked up - 41 saves and 7 blown last season. Beats 7 blown and 2 saved. LOL   Also posted a 3.38 ERA. Not quite as dominant as before, but it's something. Only a two year deal. Maybe he'll be a good influence on German to get that arm of his matured and ready to roll before it's all done.

Worse comes to worse, we pull off another Heathcliff Slocumb and trade him to the Mariners for a 15 year catcher and #2 pitcher. :)

Jansen led the league in saves this past season with 41 and we only signed him for two years.  I think this might work out for us because he and Martin are better than what we put out there from the bullpen this past season.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 07, 2022, 06:23:57 PM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on December 07, 2022, 06:20:47 PM

From Passan

Yoshida, 29, is an on-base machine who led Nippon Professional Baseball in OPS the last two seasons. His bat-to-ball skills are absolutely world-class: just 41 strikeouts in 508 plate appearances, with 80 walks. Only Luis Arraez had a lower strikeout rate in MLB last season.

The guy projects as a good hitter for average with some power.  It is a good signing in my estimation and so is Jansen, but we need that shortstop whoever he migh be....and a decent starter as well.

elktonnick

Losing Bogey with no replacement in sight a blow
  No matter how you look at it.  This team is not that good even with Yoshida and Jansen.  It is at best a 500 ball club

Sea Dog 23

Yep, Preller rolled the dice.  Bogey is a Padre 11/$280m.  I don’t know the mechanics of the Sox FO. How would you save $300 m?  What would the fans say?  But I’m guessing Bloom thinks they have their SS in Story.  At the end of the day, Prune Face gives Correa what he wants.  Alas another Boras client.

elktonnick

I think.they never really made any effort to keep Bogey and they were bsing the fans all along.  Unless they get a big bat and Yoshida is not enough Devers has no protection in the lineup and teams pitch around him all year long. Even with Yoshida the outfield and lineup have little pop.  Furthermore Devers days in Boston are numbered.  If the Sox struggle next year as I think they will Devers will be gone at the trade deadline for prospects.

longgame

Saw a Globe article, but couldn’t read it behind the paywall but the story said Bloom was shocked by this deal.  Sure it’s another indictment of him, but he did seem truly shocked.  Now he has more work to do.   The Sox need a SS and I’m actually okay if they put Kike at 2B and Story at SS if they get a stud CF.  THey’ll need it as Yoshida has no arm from what I can tell.  He’s got a range factor like Renfroe without the arm.  I figure he’d have to learn and play LF and Verdugo goes to RF which is a weak start to an OF.