Blooms moves or lack thereof

Started by elktonnick, November 27, 2022, 04:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

This afternoon Sox signed RH Chris Martin, former LAD, 2/$17.5mil. A bullpen arm 1.46 era for LAD, 0.527 WHIP in last 26 games,  4.31 era with the Cubs early last year.  He was picked up by Dodgers at the trade deadline last year from Cubs.  It says he pitched two scoreless innings agaist the Padres.

Martin pitched for Atlanta in thier championship year 2019(?).  He is a 6-8 dude and velo was at 95 last year.  On the downside he is 36 yo, and had a rough start in ‘22 with Cubs. Signed with the Sox in 2011 after a bad shoulder injury and was out of baseball for 3 years.

elktonnick

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on December 02, 2022, 03:42:10 PM
This afternoon Sox signed RH Chris Martin, former LAD, 2/$17.5mil. A bullpen arm 1.46 era last year. I don't remember seeing him last year LAD after 4.31 with the Cubs early last year.  He was picked up by Dodgers at the trade deadline last year from Cubs.  It says he pitched two scoreless innings agaist the Padres.

Martin pitched for Atlanta in thier championship year 2019(?).  He is a 6-8 dude and velo was at 95 last year.  On the downside he is 36 yo, and had a rough start in ‘22 with Cubs. Signed with the Sox in 2011 after a bad shoulder injury and was out of baseball for 3 years.
Sounds like the prototypical Bloom signing
  Bet he spends more time on the IL next two years than he pitches.

MongoLikeSox

Looks like he K'd 11.4 per 9IP with the Cubs and 12.5 with the Dodger last year. 6.9 the year before with the Braves and over 10 in 2019 and 2020. 46-60 appearances past 3 non-Pandemic seasons with ERA's in the 3's. That's a 4 season track record with one injury and otherwise decent consistency. If Cora doesn't get over-zealous with the hot-hand thing....

Not great or game changing, but not horrible. Bloomer's done far worse.

Edit - The Red Sox xnagged him out of the Independent league after the 2010 season at the age of 24. The big hole in his stats between 2015 with the Yankees and 2018 with the Rangers is 2 years in Japan throwing on the low 1's ERA in 52 and 41 games. Since bombing for the Bombers in 2015, his worst season anywhere was 2018 with Texas at 4.54 ERA. Been decent to OK for the most part since.

SeaBeachFred

This could turn out to be a good signing for the Red Sox, certainly better than the other three moves they made.  Martin pitched for both the Cubs and Dodgers this past season, average for the Cubs and outstanding for the Dodgers who have a very outstanding pitching coach.  He had an outstanding 74-5 strikeout to walk ratio over his 56 innings and the batters hit 135 against him.  He was one of their best relievers the last part of the season  Hey when you strike out 11.9 batters over an average of nine innings you have something going for you.  We needed a little shot in the arm and may have gotten it.  It would also means they are thinking of making Whitlock a starter next season.  Hell, sure beats the three duds we got in previous trades so far.

longgame

Martin is better than the slop Bloom usually goes for so I’m okay with it.  You need arms in the bullpen and hopefully this keeps Brasier another inning away from blowing games.  The bullpen is a definite concern but we all want him to focus on their deeper needs for position players which hopefully this week will lead to. 

BTW apparently Bogey has said that he’d bring any offer back to the Sox for them to match so this will get interesting.  If you can pay a guy who will play 60 innings $8M, maybe you can pay a guy who will play every game. 

elktonnick

I am not impressed at all with the Martin signing at all.  I might feel differently if Bloom had signed some blue chippers.  So instead of his usual nickel and dime deals he signed a guy worth two bits because of his injury record.  Bloom keeps nibbling around the edges. Even if he manages to sign Bogey and that's a big if, he still would have put together at best a 500 ball club assuming everyone can stay healthy.

Sea Dog 23

I myself will wait until Jan 1 until the WTF sets in.  There have only been about three big deals done so far. After a few tablesetters we got,  I think there is about $62 mil still on hand (give $27-29 to Bogey).
A trade is probably in the works next two weeks for a P or OF.  Like we all know, it’s year 4 and time for Chaim/Henry to produce.  No excuses, no crap from the NESN guys.

MongoLikeSox

So this was a quiet little move. It's only represented on the MLB Transactions list as a 12/2 move. They sent Ronaldo Hernandez "outright" to Worcester. That clears the space for the Martin signing. That also means Hernandez had to go through and clear Waivers, which is not listed anywhere.

Hernandez' numbers took a dive after a good Summer where he had a very consistent 300-ish average from end of May well into August, IIRC. This was after a very bad start. They like his bat and arm, but not his total body of work behind the plate. Probably the only Bloomer acquisition to not get much of a MLB chance when he rode the pine for a few games in Boston.

He'll be in ST camp of course, and has the RH bat that you'd think would make an impression. Still time, but next year is his age 25 year. In 105 games he hit 17 HRs, .262 BA with only a 22% K-rate. Also makes him infinitely easier to trade as he will not cost the other team a 40-man slot.

elktonnick

According to Peter Abraham the Red Sox have not yet made a competitive offer to Bogaerts.  This certainly supports the thesis that the FO is scamming their fans about their sincerity to re-sign Bogey

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: elktonnick on December 04, 2022, 05:48:35 PM
According to Peter Abraham the Red Sox have not yet made a competitive offer to Bogaerts.  This certainly supports the thesis that the FO is scamming their fans about their sincerity to re-sign Bogey

The SS market looks like it is about to break.  A story today that Swanson will sign (with someone) on Dec 9.  Not sure what to make of this Bogey thing, maybe Boras bluster.  But someone is either lying, or another somone will look like a fool.

MongoLikeSox

The Red Sox have a plausible argument for their BS speak, should that be the case. Bloomer will rely on his, "It has to be smart for the team" mantra. Then he'll go on to describe some team assembly metaphors in some condescending, nurturing way to the press, some of them I have developed some small amount of sorrow for.

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on December 04, 2022, 05:48:35 PM

I've seen this reported. If true, it's damning and maddening.  You don't run a business by insulting your star employees.  I have to wonder though if this is the Boras camp talking to apply public pressure to the Sox. 

Like Elk said, the market looks about to break and people are thinking the Cubs will make the first move.  Will be interesting to see.

elktonnick

I wonder if Bloom Henry and Co realize how much their credibility is on the line with signing Bogaerts.  If they fail which is more likely than not then they lose all credibility in Boston.  They would have to literally break the bank and sign someone better than Bogey or Fenway Park will become a mosoleum next summer.

Sea Dog 23

Bloomer is between a rock and a hard place.  The crazy money owners are bidding Bogey up to $300mil.  He cant/won't afford to pay both Bogey and Devers who will be in the $300m club.  He screwed up by lowballing Bogey last spring, when he could have locked him up before all this winter meetings bidding war started..

He probably needs Bogey to help sign Devers next year.  A fine mess  by guys who are not baseball people.

longgame

As i just posted regarding Verlander, I wonder what this does to the market for all players?  Will this further knock the Red Sox out of the market they think they make but don't understand.

As for Bogey, they're going to pay big money to someone to play SS.  Why not the guy you already know?  Like we've all be saying, the whole credibility of the organization is on the line right now, so they raise ticket prices and take the fans for granted.

Related to this, does anyone think they'll add another starter?  I'm sure Bloom is thinking Chris "3 game per year" Sale and James "Big DL" Paxton are the top of the rotation.  He's got Bello set, either Whitlock or Houck and Pivetta.  I'm thinking he rolls in someone mediocre or from the minors and we go with a straight 5 and assume none of them will ever be on the DL, which seems to be the pitching strategy of the club in general.