Starting Pitchers - Early Happenings

Started by MongoLikeSox, November 10, 2022, 08:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

When one opens the draw of the Red Sox 40 man roster cabinet, what does one find,  35  Swiss Army knives, 3 or 4 decent knives and one all star hunting knife which we will probably lose  some time in the next 12 months.  Bloom likes Swiss Army Knives.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: elktonnick on November 13, 2022, 07:16:04 PM
When one opens the draw of the Red Sox 40 man roster cabinet, what does one find,  35  Swiss Army knives, 3 or 4 decent knives and one all star hunting knife which we will probably lose  some time in the next 12 months.  Bloom likes Swiss Army Knives.

I hope somebody in MGT drew a line in the sand for Boy Genius Bloom. Sox don’t play in the ALCentral.  The ALEast has three great teams ahead of Sox - a marginal fourth if you count the O’s with some good drafts and trades behind them.  It’s going to take more than “Swiss army knives” to win our schedule.  It’s going to take cold blooded sluggers and pitchers to even get closer.  One ray of hope, we only play the ALEast 13 times each this year.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on November 14, 2022, 06:23:35 AM
Quote from: elktonnick on November 13, 2022, 07:16:04 PM

I hope somebody in MGT drew a line in the sand for Boy Genius Bloom. Sox don’t play in the ALCentral.  The ALEast has three great teams ahead of Sox - a marginal fourth if you count the O’s with some good drafts and trades behind them.  It’s going to take more than “Swiss army knives” to win our schedule.  It’s going to take cold blooded sluggers and pitchers to even get closer.  One ray of hope, we only play the ALEast 13 times each this year.

From his silence and hiding out like a cheap thief from the angry Red Sox hordes of fans, the miserable conduct of Prune Face will more than likely try and fool the fans and pink hats with more mediocrity.  The hope is he can reel the suckers into his ballpark to see another year of miserable baseball while the press and media stay silent about this rotten development that has engulfed our team.  Very very sad.

MongoLikeSox

Today is Qualifying Offer acceptance day. Eovaldi is the one we're waiting on. If his arm was right this past season, he would be mentioned amongst the big boys on the FA market. He could take the QO to establish a rebound year to go for a bigger pay day next season. Alternatively, the Red Sox have offered him a multi-year contract. I've not heard the terms.

Taking the QO could be awful for us or it could be a really good thing for us. That, of course, means it's a risky, iffy thing for us.

--------

In other starter topics, our old friend Martin Perez found the Fountain of Not Pitching For the Red Sox in Texas last year. He likes the water and is said to be accepting his QO. I mean, why not? If he shows a second great year, he's gonna combine that with a recent history of being reliable and parlay all that into one heck of a payday. Good for him.

Sea Dog 23

This afternoon reports came out that Eovaldi declined the QO.  Nothing said if he might go for the multi-year offer. 

The Japanese pitcher, Kodai Senga, is said to be favoring a major market team.  Boston has scouted him for quite awhile.  Projected contract terms are 5/$75m (fangraphs?).

The minor league players that will be protected and were added to the 40-man today are Brandon Walter, Ceddanne Rafaela, Murphy, David Hamilton, and Wilyer Abreu.  Enmanuel Valdez was added to the 40 last week. Of note pitchers Thad Ward, #9 prospect Eddinson Paulino, and #13 Wikelman Gonzalez were not protected.  Jake Reed and Caleb Hamilton were DFA’d.

Sea Dog 23

Sox were in touch with pitcher Tyler Anderson, but Angels signed him tonight.

I’m afraid Bloom is going to sit on his butt this year and let a good number of FAs get gone before he realizes he’s not working for Kansas City or Detroit.

elktonnick

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on November 15, 2022, 07:56:08 PM
Sox were in touch with pitcher Tyler Anderson, but Angels signed him tonight.

I’m afraid Bloom is going to sit on his butt this year and let a good number of FAs get gone before he realizes he’s not working for Kansas City or Detroit.

Hell. What do you expect from a guy who majored in the classics in college.  Studying the classics does not inculcate one with a sense of urgency.  It isn't like one is waiting for Homer or Plato to come out with a new book any time soon.

longgame

All I see is the same 💩 warmed over. 

Seriously this isn't that tough.  You identify guys you want and spend the money to get them.  Period.  Waiting around leaves you with leftovers.  Sox need a top of the rotation starter and a solid #2.  Right now all they have is #2 and I don't mean a pitcher.  They need a shutdown closer.  They barely have a setup guy and their two best relievers are starting to train as starters.  So weakness added to both the rotation and the pen. 

We don't have a SS.  We are stuck with a 1B we don't want, blocking one of our most promising players.  We have an expensive 2B who isn't very good and if Bogey is signed, I'm expecting Devers to sulk and at least get off to a slow start.  We don't have a Major League caliber OF.  We have a poor, weak hitting CF.  We have Verdugo who is fine with two other good outfielders.  But we need power and defense in at least 2 OF positions and we won't have that on this team.

Seems like Bloom has no plan other than to see who is available for short term deals at low money. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on November 16, 2022, 08:14:57 AM
All I see is the same 💩 warmed over. 

Seriously this isn't that tough.  You identify guys you want and spend the money to get them.  Period.  Waiting around leaves you with leftovers.  Sox need a top of the rotation starter and a solid #2.  Right now all they have is #2 and I don't mean a pitcher.  They need a shutdown closer.  They barely have a setup guy and their two best relievers are starting to train as starters.  So weakness added to both the rotation and the pen. 

We don't have a SS.  We are stuck with a 1B we don't want, blocking one of our most promising players.  We have an expensive 2B who isn't very good and if Bogey is signed, I'm expecting Devers to sulk and at least get off to a slow start.  We don't have a Major League caliber OF.  We have a poor, weak hitting CF.  We have Verdugo who is fine with two other good outfielders.  But we need power and defense in at least 2 OF positions and we won't have that on this team.

Seems like Bloom has no plan other than to see who is available for short term deals at low money.

Looks that way to me too Ted but you have to remember what a cheap bastard John Henry has turned out to be, and if he isn't willing to put up some serious money we're going to be left with a bunch of second rate Swiss Army knives and very few, if any, swords or hatchets to slay the dragons of the American League.  So far Bloom hasn't done a damn thing to improve our team and I'd be surprised if anything happens in the next couple of weeks.  I also insist Prune Face is betting on enough naive pink hats, flunkie fans and apologists to join his band of pollyannas to go bald face to the fans and try to convince them that black is white.

MongoLikeSox

I'm very surprised they didn't protect Thad Ward. I'm not saying he's MLB ready for a whole season, but I'm not saying he isn't either.

So far, hasn't most of the signings been guys re-signing? To sign this early is usually over an early boat load of money or a guy wanting to stay where he is. As far as our own, why would he want to stay if his team was being dismantled around him and we're getting cast offs. Pffffttttt!!!

Oh, speaking of guys who should be cast offs - The latest publicity hype machine on Franchy is that he's immensely popular in the clubhouse. That kind of hype doesn't grow on trees for guys about to get released. Damn it!!!

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on November 16, 2022, 10:24:48 PM
I'm very surprised they didn't protect Thad Ward. I'm not saying he's MLB ready for a whole season, but I'm not saying he isn't either.

So far, hasn't most of the signings been guys re-signing? To sign this early is usually over an early boat load of money or a guy wanting to stay where he is. As far as our own, why would he want to stay if his team was being dismantled around him and we're getting cast offs. Pffffttttt!!!

Oh, speaking of guys who should be cast offs - The latest publicity hype machine on Franchy is that he's immensely popular in the clubhouse. That kind of hype doesn't grow on trees for guys about to get released. Damn it!!!

If the Red Sox are insane enough to trot out French Fry Franchy as a new face of the Red Sox we might as well encourage to jump into a ditch and let us thrown dirt over them because this guy is a total shit, can't hit, can't field, can't run the bases worth a damn and is a total strikeout machine.  However, I remember Bloomer Boy actually saying that he saw a David Ortiz type in  the guy.  The only type of thing he saw in Frenchy even resembling Big Papi is the stuff that comes out of his rear end.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on November 16, 2022, 10:38:42 PM

If the Red Sox are insane enough to trot out French Fry Franchy as a new face of the Red Sox we might as well encourage to jump into a ditch and let us thrown dirt over them because this guy is a total shit, can't hit, can't field, can't run the bases worth a damn and is a total strikeout machine.  However, I remember Bloomer Boy actually saying that he saw a David Ortiz type in  the guy.  The only type of thing he saw in Frenchy even resembling Big Papi is the stuff that comes out of his rear end.
I agree with you on all counts except the base-running. That freak can fly. I've had more than one 'how the heck did he score from 1st on that?' type of moment. That said, I'm sure he's done some odd things on the basepaths to make one shake his head.

I tell you, that image of Bloom losing his cool while celebrating Franchy's walk-off last year still haunts me. It will haunt me all of us if Thad Ward is Rule-5'd somewhere and has a good season if Franchy doesn't have some sort of bust out year. There are a few others that could go, but everyone's gotta have a poster child. 

longgame

Bogey is popular and the team leader.  By that logic on Franchy, they should be backing up an armored car to Bogey's house with his windfall.  Bloom likes him for hype and cheapness.  He doesn't live up the hype, but he's cheap. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on November 17, 2022, 06:10:07 AM

I agree with you on all counts except the base-running. That freak can fly. I've had more than one 'how the heck did he score from 1st on that?' type of moment. That said, I'm sure he's done some odd things on the basepaths to make one shake his head.

I tell you, that image of Bloom losing his cool while celebrating Franchy's walk-off last year still haunts me. It will haunt me all of us if Thad Ward is Rule-5'd somewhere and has a good season if Franchy doesn't have some sort of bust out year. There are a few others that could go, but everyone's gotta have a poster child.

Correction noted Mongo.  I should have emphasized Franchy's less than astute running while on the bases, but either way when you start hearing rumors that Bloom plans to give this guy another shot with the team you have to wonder where the guy is coming from.  He has already had three tries with us and has failed miserably all three times despite one of those times when he showed some promise only to completely disintegrate with a plethora of strikeouts that made him utterly useless to the team.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on November 17, 2022, 10:58:18 AM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on November 17, 2022, 06:10:07 AM

Correction noted Mongo.  I should have emphasized Franchy's less than astute running while on the bases, but either way when you start hearing rumors that Bloom plans to give this guy another shot with the team you have to wonder where the guy is coming from.  He has already had three tries with us and has failed miserably all three times despite one of those times when he showed some promise only to completely disintegrate with a plethora of strikeouts that made him utterly useless to the team.
I had forgotten all about that stretch. 17 out of 20-ish, or some crazy thing like that?

Being a good upstanding Northenern, I had more than one pre-season workout in the gymnasium during HS and Jr Hs. I mean to tell you, I could not hit a single fake baseball lobbed at me. Watching that stretch last season reminded me of how bad I was a few early practices. One time it carried to the field, too. oy!!!  No wonder I forgot it. I must have tried to forget it. LOL